Dialup, nslookup works, but other apps can't do name lookups

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 18, 2004 11:37:31 PM

I have two computers at home, one running XP (A) and the
other Windows 2000 (B). As far as I can tell, they are
configured identically. Computer A can dialup the ISP and
everything works fine. On computer B, nslookup works just
fine, but all other applications (IE, Firefox,
Thunderbird, Mozilla, AVG) are unable to do name lookups.
If I do manual nslookups and then plug the IP address into
the browser, it works fine (until it needs the next
name looked up).

Box B is getting all the correct info from the ISP, it's
IP address and the ISP's DNS server addrs as shown
by 'ipconfig /all'.

On box A, after doing a name lookup from an app, the new
entry shows up in the DNS Client's cache
(ipconfig /displaydns). On box B, after a lookup fails
(they all fail), there are no new entrys added to the DNS
cache.

What's different between how nslookup does name lookups
and the way other apps do? How can one work, but not all
the others?

Box B was working fine (for several years). I tryed
running ZoneAlarm on it, it worked mostly, but I got
annoyed, removed ZoneAlarm and somewhere in there (I
guess) something got changed, but I can't figure out what
it might have been. I've looked everywhere, configuration
wise. I can find no evidence that there's any part
of ZoneAlarm left behind -- I used published lists
of it's files/registry entries to look for debris
but could find none.

-- Doug
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:33:30 AM

In news:8e7801c48595$79bbf940$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Doug Hockin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> I have two computers at home, one running XP (A) and the
> other Windows 2000 (B). As far as I can tell, they are
> configured identically. Computer A can dialup the ISP and
> everything works fine. On computer B, nslookup works just
> fine, but all other applications (IE, Firefox,
> Thunderbird, Mozilla, AVG) are unable to do name lookups.
> If I do manual nslookups and then plug the IP address into
> the browser, it works fine (until it needs the next
> name looked up).
>
> Box B is getting all the correct info from the ISP, it's
> IP address and the ISP's DNS server addrs as shown
> by 'ipconfig /all'.
>
> On box A, after doing a name lookup from an app, the new
> entry shows up in the DNS Client's cache
> (ipconfig /displaydns). On box B, after a lookup fails
> (they all fail), there are no new entrys added to the DNS
> cache.
>
> What's different between how nslookup does name lookups
> and the way other apps do? How can one work, but not all
> the others?
>
> Box B was working fine (for several years). I tryed
> running ZoneAlarm on it, it worked mostly, but I got
> annoyed, removed ZoneAlarm and somewhere in there (I
> guess) something got changed, but I can't figure out what
> it might have been. I've looked everywhere, configuration
> wise. I can find no evidence that there's any part
> of ZoneAlarm left behind -- I used published lists
> of it's files/registry entries to look for debris
> but could find none.
>
> -- Doug

Nslookup has it's own internal resolver service. It doesn't rely on the DNS
Client side resolver and works independently. Ping, tracert, and everything
else depends on the client side resolver service.

Are there any Event log errors? If you run nslookup, you can change focus on
what DNS server it's using to perform your tasks. You can do this by:

C:\>nslookup
Default Server: ns03.toresd01.pa.comcast.net
Address: 68.80.0.12

> server 4.2.2.2
Default Server: vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

Notice how when I typed in 'server 4.2.2.2' that it is now using that
server? Try that and test which server is working or not. Just type in after
that command something such as www.yahoo.com. If it's not working, it will
respond with something like 'server not responding'.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous

In news:8e7801c48595$79bbf940$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Doug Hockin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:

I've cc'd this reply to Ace, I think he missed the part about you have ZA
and having removed it, he has a list of files ZA leaves behind that causes
exactly this.

> Box B was working fine (for several years). I tryed
> running ZoneAlarm on it, it worked mostly, but I got
> annoyed, removed ZoneAlarm and somewhere in there (I
> guess) something got changed, but I can't figure out what
> it might have been. I've looked everywhere, configuration
> wise. I can find no evidence that there's any part
> of ZoneAlarm left behind -- I used published lists
> of it's files/registry entries to look for debris
> but could find none.

Ace, while your at it can you forward direct to me the Zone Alarm file list
and instructions for removing them.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:e1neM0dhEHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
I would have liked to figure out
> what was loading the vsdatant.sys to begin with...

Ace, I know the answer to this, it is loaded in Device manager, you have to
show hidden devices, then you can see vsdatant , set the startup to
disabled. I had this one come up on Joe's server, that is how I found it.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
August 19, 2004 1:10:23 PM

That's part of what ZA does and they use this method as a system 'device'
that intercept network traffic to inspect. If you remove the app, but this
guy stays, it still intercepts, but doesn't know what to do with the traffic
and falls to the default to block it.

:-)

Ace

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
news:o kcf26dhEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> In news:e1neM0dhEHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Ace Fekay [MVP]
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> I would have liked to figure out
> > what was loading the vsdatant.sys to begin with...
>
> Ace, I know the answer to this, it is loaded in Device manager, you have
> show hidden devices, then you can see vsdatant , set the startup to
> disabled. I had this one come up on Joe's server, that is how I found it.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> with OEBackup:

August 19, 2004 3:05:58 PM

> Ace, while your at it can you forward direct to me the
Zone Alarm file list
and instructions for removing them.

Thanks much! I'd appreciate a copy of the list as well:

dough AT ipeg DOT com

-- Doug

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:42:26 PM

>I found the following Zone Alarm files in the System32
directory:

>vsdata.dll
>vsdatant.sys
>vsmonapi.dll
>vsutil.dll

Oops, guess I got excited too soon. I can't find
any of those files. Searched for 'vs*' files throughout
all drives too. Perhaps they've changed the names
or have installed a modified copy of some standard
file, changed the names or put them somewhere weird.

Any possibility it's some registry settings?

Perhaps as my son suggested, I'm looking at a reinstall.

-- Doug
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:02:54 PM

Well I found vsdatant on my system under
Computer Management, Device Manager, Non-Plug
and Play Drivers, but the
General tab says "This device is not present,
is not working properly, or does not have all its
drivers installed [Code 24]."
And the Driver tab says Status: Unavailable.
So you'd think it would be inoperative, but it
still seems to have it's tentacles in somewhere.

As I said in another post, there is no longer
any 'vsdatant*' file on my system anywhere.

-- Doug

August 19, 2004 8:44:15 PM

DH> On computer B, nslookup works just fine, but all other
DH> applications (IE, Firefox, Thunderbird, Mozilla, AVG) are
DH> unable to do name lookups.
DH> What's different between how nslookup does name lookups
DH> and the way other apps do? How can one work, but not all
DH> the others?

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/nsloo...;
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 12:09:44 AM

In news:924a01c4861f$221e0f40$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Doug Hockinj <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Well I found vsdatant on my system under
> Computer Management, Device Manager, Non-Plug
> and Play Drivers, but the
> General tab says "This device is not present,
> is not working properly, or does not have all its
> drivers installed [Code 24]."
> And the Driver tab says Status: Unavailable.
> So you'd think it would be inoperative, but it
> still seems to have it's tentacles in somewhere.
>
> As I said in another post, there is no longer
> any 'vsdatant*' file on my system anywhere.

Right click on that and set it to disabled.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
August 20, 2004 12:20:08 AM

>Right click on that and set it to disabled.

Since the driver file was no longer available,
the "disabled" box was grayed out, and not available.
Instead I deleted the driver entry. I right-clicked
on the driver name in the list of drivers and
selected delete. Then rebooted, but it still
has the problem...

-- Doug
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:51:21 AM

In news:8e7801c48595$79bbf940$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Doug Hockin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have two computers at home, one running XP (A) and the
> other Windows 2000 (B). As far as I can tell, they are
> configured identically. Computer A can dialup the ISP and
> everything works fine. On computer B, nslookup works just
> fine, but all other applications (IE, Firefox,
> Thunderbird, Mozilla, AVG) are unable to do name lookups.
> If I do manual nslookups and then plug the IP address into
> the browser, it works fine (until it needs the next
> name looked up).
>
> Box B is getting all the correct info from the ISP, it's
> IP address and the ISP's DNS server addrs as shown
> by 'ipconfig /all'.
>
> On box A, after doing a name lookup from an app, the new
> entry shows up in the DNS Client's cache
> (ipconfig /displaydns). On box B, after a lookup fails
> (they all fail), there are no new entrys added to the DNS
> cache.
>
> What's different between how nslookup does name lookups
> and the way other apps do? How can one work, but not all
> the others?
>
> Box B was working fine (for several years). I tryed
> running ZoneAlarm on it, it worked mostly, but I got
> annoyed, removed ZoneAlarm and somewhere in there (I
> guess) something got changed, but I can't figure out what
> it might have been. I've looked everywhere, configuration
> wise. I can find no evidence that there's any part
> of ZoneAlarm left behind -- I used published lists
> of it's files/registry entries to look for debris
> but could find none.
>
> -- Doug

Try this:
817571 - You receive an An operation was attempted on something that is not
a socket error message when you try to connect to:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
August 20, 2004 8:43:12 AM

D> I would have liked to figure
D> out what was loading the vsdatant.sys to begin with...

Did you tell him that it was almost certainly a device driver, and that
as such the way to uninstall it properly is via Device Manager, which
will remove all of the concomitant registry bits and bobs ?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:12:34 AM

Very good idea. Tryed it, but it didn't help.

I'm wondering, is there the equivalent of
the Unix host.conf file in Windows. The
'order' entry being wrong (missing
'bind') would give these symptoms I think.

How does ZA wedge itself into the name lookup system
so it can do it's work. Is it in any way configuration
based, or do the driver-things it installs make
system calls to attach themselves where they
need to be to do the work?

Since ZA didn't do the uninstall completely,
leaving around a couple registry entries
and two entries in Device Manager (though
the referenced drivers had been deleted).
Maybe it's left something else around...
but where?

-- Doug

>Try this:
>817571 - You receive an An operation was attempted on
something that is not
>a socket error message when you try to connect to:
us;817571

>--
>Best regards,
>Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
>Hope This Helps
>--
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:57:44 PM

In news:a9c701c48817$6594ea60$a401280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Very good idea. Tryed it, but it didn't help.
>
> I'm wondering, is there the equivalent of
> the Unix host.conf file in Windows. The
> 'order' entry being wrong (missing
> 'bind') would give these symptoms I think.
>
> How does ZA wedge itself into the name lookup system
> so it can do it's work. Is it in any way configuration
> based, or do the driver-things it installs make
> system calls to attach themselves where they
> need to be to do the work?
>
> Since ZA didn't do the uninstall completely,
> leaving around a couple registry entries
> and two entries in Device Manager (though
> the referenced drivers had been deleted).
> Maybe it's left something else around...
> but where?

If it is a ZA problem, you might try here to see if you can get some help:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs