Duplicate Nodes

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Our DNS Server has what seems to be duplicate objects in
the Forward Lookup Zones, i.e.:

+ corp.mydomain.com
+ mydomain.com
+ corp

The child objects below each are mostly the same.

Is this a the standard cfg.? Seems awkward.

Thanks for any input you may have!

In news:898701c4859f$87882f80$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Bob <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Our DNS Server has what seems to be duplicate objects in
> the Forward Lookup Zones, i.e.:
>
> + corp.mydomain.com
> + mydomain.com
> + corp
>
> The child objects below each are mostly the same.
>
> Is this a the standard cfg.? Seems awkward.
>
> Thanks for any input you may have!

That depends on who created them. Yes, you can create zones such as what you
have.

What bothers me, however, is the single label name zone called 'corp'.
That's not a legal zone. Any reason that is in there?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

I think the server created the corp zone automatically.
I'm afraid it's tied into the corp.mydomain.com zone so
that if I delete corp, the server will delete
corp.mydomain.com.

Note that we created www as a child to mydomain.com, so
that a User on our LAN trying to browse www.mydomain.com
will find our public machine that we host on our dmz. Is
this standard, or are www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com
usually on the same level?

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory
Services

In news:92da01c48609$a1ab9220$a401280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
made a post then I commented below
> I think the server created the corp zone automatically.
> I'm afraid it's tied into the corp.mydomain.com zone so
> that if I delete corp, the server will delete
> corp.mydomain.com.
>
> Note that we created www as a child to mydomain.com, so
> that a User on our LAN trying to browse www.mydomain.com
> will find our public machine that we host on our dmz. Is
> this standard, or are www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com
> usually on the same level?

I cannot see how the server will create this zone automatically unless you
mean during the dcpromo process? If that's so, it's saying to me that you
have a single label DNS domain name, which is very problematic with DNS and
AD. The name 'corp' has no hierarchal structure, such a the name
corp.mydomain.com. Unless of course you are looking at your zones in
Advanced View and you are looking at the cache? But if that were the case
you would see the 'com' zone listed and other subzones of it in cache.

FYI, zones don't 'tie' in with other zones on a DNS server. Each zone is a
separate namespace, therefore a separate entity.

Can you post an ipconfig /all and let us know what the AD DNS domain name is
as it shows up in your ADUC? I think we should establish whether you have a
single label name or not first at this time.

Thanks