Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

trouble with SBS2003 dns

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 1:13:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

When I use the address bar on the workstations I cannot go to the web site,
when I type in a name(msn.com), but I can get to the site if I type in a IP
address(192.168.1.254). On the server I can type in either and get to the web
site.
calvin vaught

More about : trouble sbs2003 dns

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:41:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:D 9899231-F384-4F6D-9FA1-712655B97487@microsoft.com,
calvin vaught <calvinvaught@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> When I use the address bar on the workstations I cannot go to the web
> site, when I type in a name(msn.com), but I can get to the site if I
> type in a IP address(192.168.1.254). On the server I can type in
> either and get to the web site.
> calvin vaught

I responded to your other post. What I mentioned is to check the MTU
setttings in the router.

Do you have ADSL? MTU issues are a common issue with ADSL.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:D 9899231-F384-4F6D-9FA1-712655B97487@microsoft.com,
> calvin vaught <calvinvaught@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
> commented below
> > When I use the address bar on the workstations I cannot go to the web
> > site, when I type in a name(msn.com), but I can get to the site if I
> > type in a IP address(192.168.1.254). On the server I can type in
> > either and get to the web site.
> > calvin vaught
>
> I responded to your other post. What I mentioned is to check the MTU
> setttings in the router.
>
> Do you have ADSL? MTU issues are a common issue with ADSL.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace
>
> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
> so all can benefit.
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
> and confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================
>
>
> Yes I have a dsl modem , this is the ipconfig from the server.
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CONSAFE-0SPEO9T>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : consafe-0speo9t
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : CONSAFE.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : CONSAFE.local
launchmodem.com

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet
Adapter (1
0/100) #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-A6-4F-59
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.0.20
205.152.0.140
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

Ethernet adapter Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet
Adapter (1
0/100)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-A6-4F-58
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:19:15 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 20, 2004 11:19:15 AM

E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CONSAFE-0SPEO9T>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:44:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

cv> When I use the address bar on the workstations I cannot go to the
cv> web site, when I type in a name(msn.com), but I can get to the site
cv> if I type in a IP address(192.168.1.254). On the server I can type
cv> in either and get to the web site.

That's more like it, Biff. An unstuck shift key, a description of what
you actually did and where you did it, and not a whiff of "nslookup"
anywhere. All that's missing is the information that Kevin actually
asked you for, namely the output of "ipconfig /all".
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:44:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:

> cv> When I use the address bar on the workstations I cannot go to the
> cv> web site, when I type in a name(msn.com), but I can get to the site
> cv> if I type in a IP address(192.168.1.254). On the server I can type
> cv> in either and get to the web site.
>
> That's more like it, Biff. An unstuck shift key, a description of what
> you actually did and where you did it, and not a whiff of "nslookup"
> anywhere. All that's missing is the information that Kevin actually
> asked you for, namely the output of "ipconfig /all".
>
here is the IPconfig
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CONSAFE-0SPEO9T>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : consafe-0speo9t
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : CONSAFE.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : CONSAFE.local
launchmodem.com

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet
Adapter (1
0/100) #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-A6-4F-59
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.0.20
205.152.0.140
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

Ethernet adapter Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet
Adapter (1
0/100)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-A6-4F-58
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:19:15 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 20, 2004 11:19:15 AM

E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CONSAFE-0SPEO9T>
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:48:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:3B596446-0AB2-4BC1-BE80-CA5DF8CD7AB8@microsoft.com,
calvin vaught <calvinvaught@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> In news:D 9899231-F384-4F6D-9FA1-712655B97487@microsoft.com,
>> calvin vaught <calvinvaught@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post
>> then I commented below
>>> When I use the address bar on the workstations I cannot go to the
>>> web site, when I type in a name(msn.com), but I can get to the site
>>> if I type in a IP address(192.168.1.254). On the server I can type
>>> in either and get to the web site.
>>> calvin vaught
>>
>> I responded to your other post. What I mentioned is to check the MTU
>> setttings in the router.
>>
>> Do you have ADSL? MTU issues are a common issue with ADSL.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Ace
>>
>> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
>> so all can benefit.
>>
>> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
>> and confers no rights.
>>
>> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
>> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>>
>> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
>> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
>> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
>> --
>> =================================
>>
>>
>> Yes I have a dsl modem , this is the ipconfig from the server.
> Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
>
> E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CONSAFE-0SPEO9T>ipconfig/all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : consafe-0speo9t
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : CONSAFE.local
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : CONSAFE.local
> launchmodem.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet
> Adapter (1
> 0/100) #2
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-A6-4F-59
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.0.20
> 205.152.0.140
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
>
> Ethernet adapter Network Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet
> Adapter (1
> 0/100)
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-A6-4F-58
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 19, 2004
> 11:19:15 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 20,
> 2004 11:19:15 AM
>
> E:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CONSAFE-0SPEO9T>

Thanks for posting that Calvin. Take a look at this part of the ipconfig:
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.0.20
> 205.152.0.140

It is best to use the internal IP address of your DNS server on all
interfaces. From looking at your ipconfig, apparently its 192.168.16.2.
You'll need to remove these two addresses and then only use 192.168.16.2.
The idea behind this is with AD or even a properly configured
infrastructure, we need ONLY to use the internal DNS server(s) addresses and
not the ISP's. Then I would like to see you configure a forwarder to your
ISP's DNS. See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300202 on how to.

Also, there are two private ranges configure on both your interfaces. Is the
router/modem performing the initial NAT service and this machine is just
routing or is this machine also performing NAT?

What name brand modem/router do you have? Is there a spot in there to
specify the MTU?

As for the MTU settings, see this article on how to determine exactly what
the MTU settings are, which can be the main cause (your above current DNS
config doesn't help).

MTU - How to test and how to set in registry:
http://gw.renner.bei.t-online.de/windowsxp/mtu.htm

Troubleshooting MTU Size in PPPoE Dialin Connectivity-ADSL - Cisco ...:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies...

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
!