11004 DNS issue

horace

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Hello

We have been getting some DNS server problems (specifically 11004) when
people go to our web site (which is hosted in a Windows 2000 Server
machine). The message in the browser is list below. This only happens at
one or two client locations (who have a Windows Server 2003 gateway/ISA
server) - all other places where people access the site (all over the
world), the problem doesn't exist. Hence it seems like it's at the client's
end - perhaps the gateway/ISA server. Another thing to note is that we have
a number of subdomain names (6) along with the original domain - strange
thing is if the client (who has a DNS problem) tries on one of the
combinations and fails s/he can quite often get to the site using one of the
other subdomains.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks
Phil

The Web site cannot be found
The Web site you are looking for is unavailable due to its identification
configuration settings.

Please try the following:

o Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

o If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it
is spelled correctly.

o Click the Back button to try another link.

11004 - Host not found
Internet Security and Acceleration Server

o Background:
This error indicates that the gateway could not find the IP address of the
Web site you are trying to access.

o ISA Server: bsemisa01.bsem.info
Via:

Time: 19/08/2004 4:27:20 AM GMT

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.isa,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:uIWUc.37$6X6.2510@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
Horace <someone@nowhere.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello
>
> We have been getting some DNS server problems
> (specifically 11004) when people go to our web site
> (which is hosted in a Windows 2000 Server machine). The
> message in the browser is list below. This only happens
> at one or two client locations (who have a Windows Server
> 2003 gateway/ISA server) - all other places where people
> access the site (all over the world), the problem doesn't
> exist. Hence it seems like it's at the client's end -
> perhaps the gateway/ISA server. Another thing to note is
> that we have a number of subdomain names (6) along with
> the original domain - strange thing is if the client (who
> has a DNS problem) tries on one of the combinations and
> fails s/he can quite often get to the site using one of
> the other subdomains.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Many thanks
> Phil
>
> The Web site cannot be found
> The Web site you are looking for is unavailable due to
> its identification configuration settings.
>
> Please try the following:
>
> o Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
>
> o If you typed the page address in the Address
> bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
>
> o Click the Back button to try another link.
>
> 11004 - Host not found
> Internet Security and Acceleration Server
>
> Technical Information (for support personnel)
>
> o Background:
> This error indicates that the gateway could not find the
> IP address of the Web site you are trying to access.
>
> o ISA Server: bsemisa01.bsem.info
> Via:
>
> Time: 19/08/2004 4:27:20 AM GMT

This is most surely an ISA configuration issue, I have cross posted back to
ISA group where possible someone can tell you what the problem is.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:uIWUc.37$6X6.2510@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
Horace <someone@nowhere.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hello
>
> We have been getting some DNS server problems (specifically 11004)
> when people go to our web site (which is hosted in a Windows 2000
> Server machine). The message in the browser is list below. This
> only happens at one or two client locations (who have a Windows
> Server 2003 gateway/ISA server) - all other places where people
> access the site (all over the world), the problem doesn't exist.
> Hence it seems like it's at the client's end - perhaps the
> gateway/ISA server. Another thing to note is that we have a number
> of subdomain names (6) along with the original domain - strange thing
> is if the client (who has a DNS problem) tries on one of the
> combinations and fails s/he can quite often get to the site using one
> of the other subdomains.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Many thanks
> Phil
>
> The Web site cannot be found
> The Web site you are looking for is unavailable due to its
> identification configuration settings.
>
> Please try the following:
>
> o Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
>
> o If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure
> that it is spelled correctly.
>
> o Click the Back button to try another link.
>
> 11004 - Host not found
> Internet Security and Acceleration Server
>
> Technical Information (for support personnel)
>
> o Background:
> This error indicates that the gateway could not find the IP address
> of the Web site you are trying to access.
>
> o ISA Server: bsemisa01.bsem.info
> Via:
>
> Time: 19/08/2004 4:27:20 AM GMT

Actually we'll need more info on your webserver configuration to figure this
out, but let's see what we can do...

The one error that catches my eye says:
> The Web site cannot be found
> The Web site you are looking for is unavailable due to its
> identification configuration settings.

If this is your website, since you mentioned its on a Windows 2000 server,
and you said the client can connect by chance by using one of the other
domain names hosted on the machine:

> Another thing to note is that we have a number
> of subdomain names (6) along with the original domain - strange thing
> is if the client (who has a DNS problem) tries on one of the
> combinations and fails s/he can quite often get to the site using one
> of the other subdomains.

That kind of tells me that the host headers on the webserver for each site
are not configured properly. ISA is trying to connect to the site by the
host header name. That name is used to differentiate each site on the
machine. If not configured properly, it seems that you'll get the results
that you are experiencing.

Are the host headers configured properly? Are one of the sites on the
machine using SSL?

Here's some info on hostheaders:

Using Host Headers to Allow for One I.P Address to Host Multiple Domains:
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/ASPscripts/PrintPage.asp?REF=/webtech/080200-1.shtml

190008 - HOW TO- Use Host Header Names to Host Multiple Sites from One IP
Address in IIS 5.0:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190008

315982 - HOW TO Configure DNS Records for Your Web Site in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315982

IIS Answers - How to create multiple websites with one IP address:
http://www.iisanswers.com/Top10FAQ/t10-hostheaders.htm

300238 - Error Message- No Web Site Is Configured At This Address When Using
Host Headers:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300238

321650 - How to use SSL and MCMS 2001 on a Web site that has host headers
enabled:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321650

187504 - HTTP 1.1 Host Headers Are Not Supported When You Use SSL:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187504

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.isa,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

check out the folowing link and try it
http://alf.uib.no/eudora/eudora-error-11001-11004.html
it will solve your issue

www.helpline4it.com