reverse lookup zone

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 19, 2004 9:09:02 AM

hello,
what are the benefits (if any) of using a reverse lookup zone per subnet on
a subnetted network? would it be better to use one reverse lookup zone for
the whole network (i.e 168.192.in-addr.arpa instead of
2.168.192.in-addr.arpa, 3.168.192.in-addr.arpa, etc)?

thanks

More about : reverse lookup zone

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:02:13 PM

"MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello,
> what are the benefits (if any) of using a reverse lookup zone per subnet
on
> a subnetted network? would it be better to use one reverse lookup zone for
> the whole network (i.e 168.192.in-addr.arpa instead of
> 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa, 3.168.192.in-addr.arpa, etc)?
>
> thanks

There are a few benefits if the IP range is public, such as for a reverse
entry for an MX record. Internally, with Windows 2003, you may get 11006
SPEGNO (I can't rememver the exact Event ID) errors with DCs that usually
occur based on a missing reverse zone. As for clients, not really needed.
It's more of a best practice to have a reverse zone. As for as what subnet,
I like to do it individually, for two reasons, organizing them by subnet,
and also so I can look in that specific subnet if I want to check out just
one of my locations, otherwise they are all in one zone, it may look
cluttered.

Hope that helps

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
August 19, 2004 2:02:14 PM

Thanks Ace, I thought the same thing, I just wanted to make sure, it's
easier to look'em up this way.

"Ace Fekay" wrote:

> "MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello,
> > what are the benefits (if any) of using a reverse lookup zone per subnet
> on
> > a subnetted network? would it be better to use one reverse lookup zone for
> > the whole network (i.e 168.192.in-addr.arpa instead of
> > 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa, 3.168.192.in-addr.arpa, etc)?
> >
> > thanks
>
> There are a few benefits if the IP range is public, such as for a reverse
> entry for an MX record. Internally, with Windows 2003, you may get 11006
> SPEGNO (I can't rememver the exact Event ID) errors with DCs that usually
> occur based on a missing reverse zone. As for clients, not really needed.
> It's more of a best practice to have a reverse zone. As for as what subnet,
> I like to do it individually, for two reasons, organizing them by subnet,
> and also so I can look in that specific subnet if I want to check out just
> one of my locations, otherwise they are all in one zone, it may look
> cluttered.
>
> Hope that helps
>

> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:35:26 PM

In news:D 528177A-6C8B-401C-8E74-A7D861F238BE@microsoft.com,
MAX <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Thanks Ace, I thought the same thing, I just wanted to make sure,
> it's easier to look'em up this way.

My pleasure Max. If you have any more questions, please do feel free to post
back.

:-)

Ace
!