reverse lookup zone

hello,
what are the benefits (if any) of using a reverse lookup zone per subnet on
a subnetted network? would it be better to use one reverse lookup zone for
the whole network (i.e 168.192.in-addr.arpa instead of
2.168.192.in-addr.arpa, 3.168.192.in-addr.arpa, etc)?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about reverse lookup zone

    "MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > what are the benefits (if any) of using a reverse lookup zone per subnet
    on
    > a subnetted network? would it be better to use one reverse lookup zone for
    > the whole network (i.e 168.192.in-addr.arpa instead of
    > 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa, 3.168.192.in-addr.arpa, etc)?
    >
    > thanks

    There are a few benefits if the IP range is public, such as for a reverse
    entry for an MX record. Internally, with Windows 2003, you may get 11006
    SPEGNO (I can't rememver the exact Event ID) errors with DCs that usually
    occur based on a missing reverse zone. As for clients, not really needed.
    It's more of a best practice to have a reverse zone. As for as what subnet,
    I like to do it individually, for two reasons, organizing them by subnet,
    and also so I can look in that specific subnet if I want to check out just
    one of my locations, otherwise they are all in one zone, it may look
    cluttered.

    Hope that helps

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    Thanks Ace, I thought the same thing, I just wanted to make sure, it's
    easier to look'em up this way.

    In news:D528177A-6C8B-401C-8E74-A7D861F238BE@microsoft.com,
    MAX <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Thanks Ace, I thought the same thing, I just wanted to make sure,
    > it's easier to look'em up this way.

    My pleasure Max. If you have any more questions, please do feel free to post
    back.

    :-)

    Ace

Subnet Microsoft DNS Windows