Overclocking e6600 with crossfire.

NitinK

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
i am new one to these forums, i have x1900's running in crossfire mod, i have booted into windows all the way up to 3.5, but the max i can go is 3.25GHz with total stability with prime 95 running for 24 hour, anything higher doesnt matter one mhz or any settings i use in the bios, no stability system just shuts off.

jsut wanted to know if that is a decent overclock for crossfire setup, my memory is ocz 800mhz with platinum heatspreaders. 4-5-4-15
right now i have the memory running at 900. with the front side bus at 9x361. which equals to 1444.

by the way i do believe now that the chips in reviews are cherry picked because i have never gotten what i have read from anandtech or anyother review sites, i cant even boot this thing into windows at 3.0Ghz with bumping the voltage to atleast 1.4875. ofcourse my temps are in 30's idle and 40's under load, just watned to know u guys had any inputs about me being able to squeeze another 100 or 200 MHZ out of it.

by the way i alwasy seem to have a hard reset, or if i overclock it to 3.4 it will have just shutoff and than restart. wondering if the power supply is tripping out at those speeds.

My sytem specs are as below/

motherboard: asus p5wdh-delux
cpu: e6600 core at 1.5375 currently running at 3.25
powersupply is 750watt xcleo quadrail with 18amps on each rail.
and ofcourse the two x1900's which are also watercooled,
my watercooling system is by dangerden and i i have a dual radiator with two fans. total of 3 system fans, two pushing air out, and one by the hard drives.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
3.25Ghz, then? It is not bad, not particularly good, either, though.... What mem. divider are you using? Can you try bumping the memory closer to stock, maybe it doesn't overclock well? OCZ OC's rather well, usually...

With water cooling, you should be getting at least 3.4+. I know of people who got 3.76 on air, weird why yours isn't going any higher w/o stablility issues. I'm not that good at Intels, I'm an AMD guy. :D

Try the memory thing, does it help any? How are the rails, by chance? All good? Don't think it is the PSU, PSU is more than enough, just checking to make sure.

~Ibrahim~

NitinK

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
well i just think its my chip, just to check it out, i went to tthe local frys store and got me a e6400, and i was able to overclock that to 400, at 1.5v rock stable, that was over 50 percent overclock, i think its just my chip, i have been able to boot at 3.4 but no stability.

NitinK

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
yes right now i have it running at 3150, i dont know whats going on, the max i can get stable is 3200, but i would rather stick with 3150 beacuse i am at 1.48v on the cpu, i am really amazed that the temp on my cpu right now is about 28-30idle and doenst really change much when i run prime or game.

when i think its the mobo, remeber in my last reply i said i was able to take the e6400 all 400 rock stable at the same voltage, i could even post at 3.3with that,

and yes i have tried increasing the vmch and all the other voltages, but hasnt made much difference, this is what i am trying to find out if it is actually the mobo, or the chip that doesnt want to overclock much.

thanks for ur help