Sign in with
Your question

or, better...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2006 9:33:53 PM

Or better, an X800XL, passively cooled model.

Silent = Good.

More about : question

August 14, 2006 11:39:38 PM

Odd.

Very odd.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 12:04:34 AM

Or faster; 2007 Shelby GT500 in stock at local dealer. Saw it today. Nice red/white one like my pic. But they want 20K over list. $65K, no tankU :roll:

500HP = Good.

:?: BTW was this supposed to be a new topic.
Related resources
August 15, 2006 12:25:32 AM

u sure ur message was not meant to be a reply to sum1 elses?
August 15, 2006 12:41:04 AM

Quote:
Or better, an X800XL, passively cooled model.

Silent = Good.

LOL, wtf? :oops: 
August 15, 2006 2:22:21 AM

Quote:
Or faster; 2007 Shelby GT500 in stock at local dealer. Saw it today. Nice red/white one like my pic. But they want 20K over list. $65K, no tankU

Not to hijack this thread (is that possible with this one?), but yeah, they want a bundle for that Shelby.

<- GT owner here. :) 
August 15, 2006 12:38:45 PM

Give me a 505HP Z06 over a Mustang any day of the week.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 2:29:39 PM

Quote:

As much as I am nuts for the GT500, I totally agree and told the Dealer the same thing. AT 45K that is a nice car. At 65K it's got to compete with a Z06. If I had that kind of cash to spend on a weekend car, it would go toward the Z06. Problem is with having small kids, the GT500 would be nicer to own. For fun I'd like to see a head to head test of the two. Know of any?

But, It's not your average Mustang ya know.
August 15, 2006 2:33:34 PM

Quote:

As much as I am nuts for the GT500, I totally agree and told the Dealer the same thing. AT 45K that is a nice car. At 65K it's got to compete with a Z06. If I had that kind of cash to spend on a weekend car, it would go toward the Z06. Problem is with having small kids, the GT500 would be nicer to own. For fun I'd like to see a head to head test of the two. Know of any?

Pfff, who like cars?
They are noisy and they dont perform that well in the low-range. And they need Water-Cooling!
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 2:35:58 PM

The ones the Flinstones drove were nice and silent, kinda like a passive X800XL. :roll:
August 15, 2006 3:12:10 PM

:lol:  :lol: 
August 15, 2006 3:34:44 PM

Quote:

Pfff, who like cars?
They are noisy and they dont perform that well in the low-range. And they need Water-Cooling!

You can obviously tell he is under 16 and/or takes the city bus to work.
August 15, 2006 3:37:46 PM

Z06 vs. Shelby?

I'd have a hard time with that one. It's almost like choosing between apples and oranges.

For performance I'd go with the Vette, but for nostalgic fun I'd go with the Shelby.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 11:16:30 PM

I must have spent 5 minutes just walking around that car staring at it from all angles. I ran the idea by my wife of making them an offer for it, lets just say she isn't feeling the SHelby nostalgia; if I come home with it, I better buy a long comfy couch to sleep on. At least that's my interpretation of "hope the seats are comfy, if you buy it you'll be sleeping in it". :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 11:24:05 PM

Quote:
Problem is with having small kids, the GT500 would be nicer to own.

*cough* Charger *cough* 4-door *cough* :mrgreen:

MMMmm practical, especially if you need some extra leg-room for the blankets and pillow. 8)

A while back I used to know a site that kept the quarter mile stats for all the cars on their track in the US (there was a huge selection, even a bunch of different Venoms), but for the life of me I forget where it is (been about 2 years since I looked at it).
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:13:22 AM

425HP hemi in the charger is nice; and it's not a bad looking car. The challenger concept is alot nicer looking though. Funny thing is, today I was reading a charger brochure at the Chrysler/Dodge dealer, while I waited for an oil change in the T&C minivan. :oops:  :cry: 
August 16, 2006 2:31:15 AM

Should I upgrade to a Daihastu Charade...
August 16, 2006 2:40:02 AM

Those Shelbys are nice, but I've always been a sucker for the Fox/SN-95 bodies. My favorite late model would have to be the 2003-2004 Cobras. My real passion is with the T-birds though. I'd kill for a brand new 1988 Turbo Coupe.

Too sexy.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:41:30 AM

Quote:
Problem is with having small kids, the GT500 would be nicer to own.

*cough* Charger *cough* 4-door *cough* :mrgreen:

MMMmm practical, especially if you need some extra leg-room for the blankets and pillow. 8)

A while back I used to know a site that kept the quarter mile stats for all the cars on their track in the US (there was a huge selection, even a bunch of different Venoms), but for the life of me I forget where it is (been about 2 years since I looked at it).

Few weeks back I was in Portland and Hertz was out of mid size cars and the dude pointed towards a new black and gold Shebly and a white Charger Hemi that were sitting side by side and said, "you can have either one of those if you want for $15 bucks more a day. It was a tough decision, but I just had to drive that Hemi Charger. Had it for a whole week. Holy **** that thing was a blast to drive. And let no one tell you different, it was fast! Just touching the gas at even 70 was like a jolt. The throttle response and sound of that engine was amazing, and the smoke rolling off both back tires at a stoplight was pretty fun too......
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:46:25 AM

That would have been a dream for me. It Couldn't be a Shelby at a rental shop, they are rare. Matter of fact, only SVT dealers can get them, our local one was limited to just 3 and two sold as preorders. maybe it was the 330HP Mustang rental car? Man, I'd have taken that one for sure, nothing against the charger though.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:53:29 AM

Turbo coupes were nice looking. I didn't care for the turbo 4 though. I liked the looks and growl of a 5.0L V8 of the Lincoln Mark VII's better. Both nice styling though. I had a 1990 Mark VII LSC for 13 years; absolutely loved that car; a real pleasure daily ride. At 138K miles still ran strong as could be. The drivetrain was bulletproof in those cars. But the Power windows & door locks started to go in it and I was rarely using it, so i sadly said goodbye before the climate control, power sunroof, or something else expensive went bad.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:56:03 AM

Quote:
That would have been a dream for me. It Couldn't be a Shelby at a rental shop, they are rare. Matter of fact, only SVT dealers can get them, our local one was limited to just 3 and two sold as preorders. maybe it was the 330HP Mustang rental car? Man, I'd have taken that one for sure, nothing against the charger though.

I dunno, maybe it was the GT? I swear the guy said "take your pick, Shelby or Hemi" I was equally amazed that they even had a Hemi Charger. Anyway, it sure was a fun week!
August 16, 2006 3:24:20 AM

I prefer exotic cars...

Lotus= fast and light... with decent gas mileage.
Lambo= really cool... but a pain in the wallet since I can only look at them 8O
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 3:25:58 AM

Quote:
You were at an airport huh. I checked that a while ago but coudn't find that GT-H anywhere near me. I'd gladly pay $150 to drive that for a day.

But..... Do they come in automatic?
August 16, 2006 3:30:04 AM

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?! AUTO SUCKS!

If you're going to have a fun car you get stick.. if you want a racing car you get sequential!
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 3:30:49 AM

Quote:
You were at an airport huh. I checked that a while ago but coudn't find that GT-H anywhere near me. I'd gladly pay $150 to drive that for a day.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/index.jsp?targetPage...

Yep, PDX-Portland Oregon. They didn't have them listed on the charts or anything, or at the time they didn't. Said they had just got them. Just the 2 cars sitting right outside the big window of the office side by side in an area all by themselves, sort of showcased. I was kind of shocked to see them, then the great price he gave me, it didn't even really sink in what I was driving till I pulled on the on-ramp to the I-5 heading north towards Vancouver, WA and stepped down on the gas, whoa!!!!
August 16, 2006 3:32:20 AM

I'd have a hard time paying that much for a Mustang, even if it has 500 horsepower.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 3:34:55 AM

Quote:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/index.jsp?targetPage...

Yep, PDX-Portland Oregon. They didn't have them listed on the charts or anything, or at the time they didn't. Said they had just got them. Just the 2 cars sitting right outside the big window of the office side by side in an area all by themselves, sort of showcased. I was kind of shocked to see them, then the great price he gave me, it didn't even really sink in what I was driving till I pulled on the on-ramp to the I-5 heading north towards Vancouver, WA and stepped down on the gas, whoa!!!!

Correction- That is north on the 205, don't want anyone to think I am making this up.......
August 16, 2006 3:45:12 AM

um.. dude... chill... I was just going along with it... sorry but I'm not that funny :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 5:02:49 AM

yeah, they are auto only. :(  Closest airport that has a hertz GT-H is Boston (5 hours from here), and they won't rent it unless you fly in.

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to take this tour with me. Alot of money, but nothing you don't blow taking a long weekend vacation. You get to drive 6 of the exotics for 30 minutes, including my ultimate dream car, the Ford GT. Their daily rates for the GT are out of my league, unless he will split the cost with me. But $499-795 to demo 6 cars; i'd do that. That's an expereince to remember forever.

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/dream-car-tour.htm
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 5:44:45 AM

Quote:
yeah, they are auto only. :(  Closest airport that has a hertz GT-H is Boston (5 hours from here), and they won't rent it unless you fly in.

WTF! I was kidding of course, but seriously! :roll:

Quote:
I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to take this tour with me. Alot of money, but nothing you don't blow taking a long weekend vacation. You get to drive 6 of the exotics for 30 minutes, including my ultimate dream car, the Ford GT.

Nice car

Quote:
Their daily rates for the GT are out of my league, unless he will split the cost with me. But $499-795 to demo 6 cars; i'd do that. That's an expereince to remember forever.

For sure. I've driven a few nice cars in my lifetime, but still yet to drive my two absolute favs, the 959 and MacF1 (a new addition would the the Veyron).

I notice that site had a Gallardo, two Ferraris and A Porsche as well, something I'd like to do is drive a NEW TVR, I've only gotten my hands on a friend's dad's 350 back in the day, broke my love affair with the LotusEsprit (another friend's dad's car [but ugly white on white 8O ]). The only car I've riden in that I wish I had driven was yet another friend's dad's AC Cobra 289 man that thing was fun, but only ever got to ride shotgun.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 12:39:37 PM

Quote:
WTF! I was kidding of course, but seriously! :roll:

Yup seriously, from my understanding the GT-H's are all autos. And the only 2005 Mustang GT I have found to rent within hours of me is also an automatic. Shoot, 2 minutes at the Ford dealer and the salesman was offering a test drive in an auto Mustang GT. I'd like to rent a stick.

Quote:
For sure. I've driven a few nice cars in my lifetime, but still yet to drive my two absolute favs, the 959 and MacF1 (a new addition would the the Veyron).

Wow, Lucky you. I've never driven anything exotic. That's why this oportunity to do the 6 car tour is a dream. NFS series or R/C is as close as I've been to driving one. :roll: :roll: :lol: 

Quote:
I notice that site had a Gallardo, two Ferraris and A Porsche as well, something I'd like to do is drive a NEW TVR, I've only gotten my hands on a friend's dad's 350 back in the day, broke my love affair with the LotusEsprit (another friend's dad's car [but ugly white on white 8O ]). The only car I've riden in that I wish I had driven was yet another friend's dad's AC Cobra 289 man that thing was fun, but only ever got to ride shotgun.

Yeah, I've been noticing that too, over and over again. The Gallardo would be next on my list after the GT. Then a Ferrari. The Z06 and the Porsche are tempting because of the daily price.

I don't know much about the TVR's. The pics I have seen are nice though. They aren't found in N. America right?

The 427 Cobra is a car I'd love to see/hear in person. I've seen a few replicas, but that's about it. A guy at a rest area pulled in next to our van in a Replica. We were both there about 30 minutes. I tell ya, he had a very hard time climbing out of it. Talked to him for a while after noticing just how much attention the car was getting. Litterally almost every adult walking by stopped and pointed it out. I was surprised by that and told it to him as we just sat 8 feet apart. He agreed and claims it surprisingly gets way more attention than a ferrari he used to own.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 4:36:15 PM

Quote:

I don't know much about the TVR's. The pics I have seen are nice though. They aren't found in N. America right?

They used to be, actually there was a dealership in toronto about 3-4 miles from my house back in the day, it was one of the 'import' dealers with SAABs, etc. Now unfortunately they are Euro only, and primarily UK, but the funny thing is it's owned by a Russian-Canadian guy now (according to the last Review I saw on BBC's TopGear). One of my favourite google videos has a Lotus, a Porsche 911turbo, a Viper, and many others all going head to head, and for the 1/2 or full mile (forget now which it was) the TVR just blows everything else away. They remind me oalot of the Cobra nowadays.

Quote:
The 427 Cobra is a car I'd love to see/hear in person. I've seen a few replicas, but that's about it. A guy at a rest area pulled in next to our van in a Replica. We were both there about 30 minutes. I tell ya, he had a very hard time climbing out of it. Talked to him for a while after noticing just how much attention the car was getting. Litterally almost every adult walking by stopped and pointed it out. I was surprised by that and told it to him as we just sat 8 feet apart. He agreed and claims it surprisingly gets way more attention than a ferrari he used to own.

Yep, there's just something about the Cobras, and even more mistique if it's a genuine article which the 289 was (well really who replicas the 289? :wink: ). Even though it wasn't the mythic 427, the 289 rubble you teeth lose, but was so much fun to ride in (can only imagine driving).
August 16, 2006 6:07:41 PM

You guys will laugh but the car I'd really like to test drive would be that Bentley Continental GT. I remember reading a review about in (IIRC) Car and Driver. Perhaps it was the way the article was written but the author played it off as though the car was simply pure butter with the perfect balance of speed, handling, style and comfort. The ideal tourer. It must be rough to cruise up and down the Riviera, and get paid for it. It sucks to be a poor working class schlump sometimes. :( 

Don't get me wrong, I'd sell my sister (cheap) to get behind the wheel of any of them but I kinda like the classier side of cars as opposed to the speedier side of it. I'll take a motorcycle for speed (only one more year :D  ).
August 16, 2006 6:48:51 PM

Quote:
Z06 vs. Shelby?

I'd have a hard time with that one. It's almost like choosing between apples and oranges.

For performance I'd go with the Vette, but for nostalgic fun I'd go with the Shelby.

If it's to dream, I'd add a BMW Z5... My godfather owns a Z3 and it rocks, so I imagine how a Z5 does...

Also, you can always cheer for a Porsche.

PS - Sorry US friends, but when you talk about cars, the Germans rule!!! 8)

PS 2 - I read some rumors of BMW buying Ford. Is there any true in this? (Mercedes bought Chrysler a few years ago, if this goes for real, then GM will be the last of the great American Car manufacturers 8O )
August 16, 2006 7:11:55 PM

In the early sixties when the AC Cobra and the fuel injected Stingray were new, the 427 Cobra was a second faster than the Vette in zero to 60 tests.

In Arizona on saturday evenings you can usually see four or five replicas (maybe even real ones) cruzin the "hot rod" gathering spots, even the replicas will give ya goose bumps when they go by.
August 16, 2006 7:12:17 PM

The BMW Z5???

Are you sure you don't mean the BMW M5?

The Z3 is nice but the M3 pwnz it.
August 16, 2006 7:46:48 PM

I OC'd my CHevy Celebrity 40MHZ, no it goes 160MPH and gets 75 MPG (with AIR COOLING).
August 16, 2006 7:47:46 PM

CAUTION: AUTOMOTIVE N00B QUESTION HERE

Okay, I am not a total n00b. But I do not subscribe to Car and Driver nor do I understand why 500 HP is a "WOW" kind of thing.

To explain from where my question stems:

I own a 2006 Scion tC. I owned 6 cars before it and drove a dozen others. (EDIT: including BMW, Mercedes and such). I can say with all certainty that the tC with its 160hp 2.4 liter Camry engine is a blast to drive. It is rock steady on the road at any speed. Matter of fact, the faster you go the more steady it gets as the aerodynamic design creates additional downforce for increased traction and stability at speed.

I can never feel the speed. Doing 90mph feels like nothing at all. When I test drove it I said to my friend who was with me: "Dude, this is sick. I may kill myself or lose my license fast."

I managed to bring it up to 140 mph without much difficulty when I drove from NYC to Montreal two weeks ago. I think I could go faster but I was chicken. Fortunately, the state trooper caught up with me when I was doing only 94 mph.

The same friend whom I mentioned above once commented that the Charger would wipe the floor with my tC. I took offense and read up on the Charger. Out of 6 or so Charger variants only the SRT8 beats the tC in the 0-60 test and only by like 1.6 seconds.

BUT if you load SRT8 with the same options that are standard on tC its price goes up to 43K while I got the tC for 22K including taxes and everything. Moreover, the Charger's fuel tank is about 19% larger than tC's while with its 6.1 liter engine its fuel economy is abysmal (18 or 19 mpg ON A HIGHWAY.... something like 13-14 in the city, oh my God.) While tC gives you steady 30 mpg on a highway. So with the fuel tank so small and fuel economy so bad, super high cost and all that.. How can anyone justify liking the Charger and similar cars? So what if it has a 475 hp HEMI?

Now, DON'T YOU DARE FLAME ME :!: If there is something I don't understand about cars, then I would like to understand. That's why I am asking.
August 16, 2006 7:56:22 PM

Scion tCs are sick. When I test drove one I was very satisfied with it overall. I was also amazed at how roomy it felt for a rather small car. There's also a crapload of TRD and aftermarket stuff out there for them.

Then again, the entire Scion line was design for men in my age group of 25-35 (roughly).

I think the OP started this thread by accident so we just took it over. Besides things are getting kinda boring around here.
August 16, 2006 8:02:48 PM

Quote:
Scion tCs are sick. When I test drove one I was very satisfied with it overall. I was also amazed at how roomy it felt for a rather small car.

No $^it, man. I am 6'3" and I feel comfortable in the tC. Unbelievable? Believe it :wink:
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 8:22:48 PM

Quote:
You guys will laugh but the car I'd really like to test drive would be that Bentley Continental GT.

Why would anyone laugh, the Azure is a beaut, and so are a bunch of the big boys. I actually had a neighbour in Toronto with a Continental turbo R, beautiful car.

Quote:
It sucks to be a poor working class schlump sometimes. :( 

Yes but it wouldn't suck to be 'wroking' for Car&Drive / Raod&Track / TopGear. 8)

Quote:
I'll take a motorcycle for speed (only one more year :D  ).

Yep, that's my speed fix (I drive N.American Van and 4door Sedan, they don't give it to me!), Mortorcycles, SeaDoos, SkiDoos, and of course Skiing. :mrgreen:
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 8:27:20 PM

Quote:
In the early sixties when the AC Cobra and the fuel injected Stingray were new, the 427 Cobra was a second faster than the Vette in zero to 60 tests.

The funniest & impressive part of the Cobra legend is that until the McLarenF1 the Cobra held the record for 0 to 60 to 0 for all cards.

That's pretty much 30 years unchallenged. :twisted:

It matter mainly because you need the power, but you also need the light (with good brakes of course) in order to pull that off, I can't see the Veyron beating that, but maybe it can, because the wheels on it are HUGE and those two engines are powrful.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 8:33:55 PM

I thought the Cobras big record was 0-100-0. At least that's the one they talked about back just before the buick GNX came out.
August 16, 2006 8:38:07 PM

Cobras are nice but most of the ones I see during Hot August Nights are kits. Once in awhile a rare gem comes to town though.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 8:41:19 PM

Quote:
You guys will laugh but the car I'd really like to test drive would be that Bentley Continental GT.

That one isn't high on my rental list, but none-the-less I agree with GrApe in why should we laugh. I see one all the time. It's beautiful...what an interior! A guy at the office has one maybe 3 months old. But despite talking to him right outside the car many times, I haven't been offered a ride. Maybe a few "wow" compliments and he'll make the offer. Shoot, I'd treat him to lunch anywhere in town as long as he drives. ;) 
!