FQDN problem

Neither windows update service nor Symantec live update
will run unattended however both work fine when logged
on. I suspect this is a DNS naming issue. Our
configuration is as follows:
Our internal network is a single domain(A), the server
used to connect to the internet is its own domain (B).
Both run active directory and use the internal DNS
server. There are 2 zones on the DNS server, one for each
domain. The server connected to the internet is domain
B. The external nic has the perferred DNS servers
pointing to our isp's DNS server. The internal nic points
to our internal DNS server. The internal DNS server is
configured with forwarder ip addresses of our ISP.

What is the proper sufix setting and names for each nic?
Is there possibly some other DNS or nic setting that is
wrong?

Thanks for any help
1 answer Last reply
More about fqdn problem

    > What is the proper sufix setting and names for each nic?
    > Is there possibly some other DNS or nic setting that is
    > wrong?

    Generally irrelevant to broken resolution -- those are only
    for NON qualified names, e.g., using "Hamachi" instead of
    "hamachi.learnquick.com." will try the suffixs on the simple
    name.

    > Our internal network is a single domain(A), the server
    > used to connect to the internet is its own domain (B).

    irrelevant usually -- were are talking DNS resolution, not
    AD domains or even "DNS domains/zones" which are a
    separate issue.

    > Both run active directory and use the internal DNS
    > server. There are 2 zones on the DNS server, one for each
    > domain. The server connected to the internet is domain
    > B. The external nic has the perferred DNS servers
    > pointing to our isp's DNS server. The internal nic points
    > to our internal DNS server. The internal DNS server is
    > configured with forwarder ip addresses of our ISP.

    All NICs on each INTERNAL machine should reference your
    INTERNAL DNS server set (this may even be true for a firewall
    machine which must resolve internal names -- mine works that
    way.)

    Then INTERNAL DNS servers should forward to the firewall
    or ISP for EXTERNAL resolution.

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Robert Johnson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Neither windows update service nor Symantec live update
    > will run unattended however both work fine when logged
    > on. I suspect this is a DNS naming issue. Our
    > configuration is as follows:
    >

    > Thanks for any help

Domain DNS Server Internet Service Providers DNS Servers Windows