How does DNS and Active Directory update DNS

jeff

We are using Nortel Optivity ID DNS server and our DHCP
and active directory are not deleting entries or sending
the correct updates to delete records that know longer
exist. Then we get multiple IP addresses showing up for
one machine. Is there a command line tool to use to
force deletions of records that don't exist any more? Is
there another reason why this is happening? Our DNS has
not changes for years and this just started happening.
We have up'd our lease time on DHCP which has helped but
has not fixed our problem.

"Jeff" <Brattonj@jm.com> wrote in message
> We are using Nortel Optivity ID DNS server and our DHCP
> and active directory are not deleting entries or sending
> the correct updates to delete records that know longer
> exist.

DHCP can be set to do this -- for records it adds but not
for records added by the machines themselves.

> Then we get multiple IP addresses showing up for
> one machine.

Win2000+ DNS has a scavening feature and much better
control of dynamic registration.

> Is there a command line tool to use to
> force deletions of records that don't exist any more? Is

Yes, but HOW will you decide which are the one's that
don't exist?

> there another reason why this is happening? Our DNS has
> not changes for years and this just started happening.
> We have up'd our lease time on DHCP which has helped but
> has not fixed our problem.

You CAN use another DNS but generally you are fighting an
uphill battle and missing a LOT of features by avoidning
Win2003 DNS.

Stop fighting it -- use the Microsoft DNS.

--
Herb Martin

J> Is there a command line tool to use to force deletions
J> of records that don't exist any more?

Any tool capable of issuing Dynamic DNS update transactions will be
sufficient, with the caveat that using _Secure_ Dynamic DNS forces
vendor lock-in so if you are using it (rather than just unsecure Dynamic
DNS) you will have to use a tool from the same manufacturer as your DNS
server itself.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-incompatible-secure-updates.html>