Your opinion on my rig

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I'm soon going to be buying a new computer, currently I have a Sempron 1.66Ghz, 512mb ram, geforce fx 5700ultra, so it'll be a pretty good change.

My Newegg.com Wishlist

Please rate it there and leave comments here. I'm getting socket 939 because this is a budget system and with socket am2 mobos, the ram is so expensive. I've spent quite awhile choosing the parts.

Edit: It may seem this is in the wrong forum, but I do plan on lightly overlocking it. Maybe to 2.5Ghz at most.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I'm soon going to be buying a new computer, currently I have a Sempron 1.66Ghz, 512mb ram, geforce fx 5700ultra, so it'll be a pretty good change.

My Newegg.com Wishlist

Please rate it there and leave comments here. I'm getting socket 939 because this is a budget system and with socket am2 mobos, the ram is so expensive. I've spent quite awhile choosing the parts.

Edit: It may seem this is in the wrong forum, but I do plan on lightly overlocking it. Maybe to 2.5Ghz at most.
looks pretty good but i'd upgrade the gpu to a 7600gt if buget allows also why not go with am2 since you are getting new ram?

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

It's a budget system, but what is your budget? Without monitor, you shouldn't be able to build a similar AM2 system for under $700. The advantage of AM2 is it has an upgrade path for the future. Upgrading from 939 will cost you more because you will need to replace the motherboard and RAM in addition to the processor. Unfortunetly, the good AM2 motherboards right now are rather expensive.

That is a poor graphics card for gaming, so maybe you aren't a gamer.

I'm not sure you're gonna need 2GB RAM if you're not a hardcore gamer. This is a budget system so I'd say get only 1GB. There is DDR2 memory for about the same price as the DDR memory you selected.

You wishlist doesn't have a case or optical drives.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
A 7300gt is plenty good for me, games are not my life. And if a 5700ultra can play HL2 on Medium settings with an average of 35fps, I can't see the need for a 7600 or better.

I considered getting a X2 3800+, how much more could I overclock a X2 4200+ opposed to a X2 3800+?

I have a huge ATX case already. No optical drives, strange...I swear I had a dvd burner on that list, I must have accidentally deleted it.

I'll look again at ram, and like I said, a good AM2 mobo uses pc6400 which is very expensive. I don't really plan on upgrading, I'd probably just buy another computer and keep this one as a nice server or extra computer.
The price of my cooler went up :( I guess I'll look into that also, along with getting a dvd burner back on the list.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I changed my cooler to a cheaper, but just as effective one and got a dvd burner. Any suggestions? I'm going to look at video cards and ram again.

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
"You're opinion on my rig" I'm an opinion of your rig? wtf lol
(sorry couldn't resist :p )

Good setup, though I'd go for a 265 gcard, makes life easier imo

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I'll look into that maybe, but I think 256 isn't that much of a gain from 128.

I've been looking at this page for awhile, and I can't decide what to get. Whats the best ram on that page for under $200? I haven't used many brands so I can't say what's best. I don't understand ram timings that well either. So, someone please give me your input. I know Corsair and Crucial are good brands, I've used theirs before.

Also, can anyone answer my question on how much of a difference there is between the X2 3800+ and X2 4200+ for how much they can be overclocked with stability?

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
X2 +3800's have shown to go up to 2.6-2.7GHz with no trouble.
As for the video card,

X800GTO256MBDDR3 Radeon X800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

for the money its much better, especially if its under $100.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
If you plan on OCing, CORSAIR XMS or OCZ low latency memory.
2-3-3-6 is the latency of the 4 most important settings. Along with T1 command rate. The lower the numbers the less memory latency.
Also the higher the price.
Don’t spend too much over $200 for 2GB.

JLHedges

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I put together an AM2 3800+ system with for almost the same price (a little less actually) on Newegg. Here's what I came up with:

ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800IAA5CU - Retail

OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ2G8001GK - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce 7600GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722516DLA380 (0A31637) 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model SH-S182D - OEM

You said "...games are not my life", so I only used 1GB of RAM. The board supports 8GB, should you chose to upgrade in the future, but it is not an SLI board, again you are not a gamer. Since you don't plan on seriously OC'ing the proc, you should be good with the stock HSF. Total Cost? $659.94

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Wow, not bad, I'll start a new wishlist and see what I can get, a few of your components would work well for me, except I'd really really like to have 2 gigs of ram :D

However, I'm afraid that even with a cheaper video card, and other stuff slightly lowered, it'll end up around 800$, which is unfortunately too high, because I want to also buy a cooler, article silver 5, etc

Maybe your set-up with a few changes would work for me. I'll look into it. This thread is getting kind of long, should I make a new thread when I get AM2 stuff?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Here's a much better PSU for only a few dollars more:

COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W ($50)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159040
Great buy for the price because it has dual 12v rails with strong amps (18 per rail). It has the added bonus most in this price range do not with Active PFC. Having PFC means protection against things like voltage fluctuations and electrical irregularities that can affect the efficiency of your power supply. A more efficient PSU means that it creates less heat as well.

This PSU has stronger amps and wattage than that rosewill.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I have no idea why you say I'd be wasting my money, if the computer performs well, how can it be a waste of money? You must under-value many things, and if I'm on a budget, 939 is not a waste of money, its cheaper, there's more selection, etc.

How many people do you see using dual cores? Exactly, so why would quad cores be so awesome? Only recently has dual core became quite popular, If programs that take advantage of 2 cores aren't in great abundance, what makes you think four will? Anyway, regardless of your opinion on this setup, I'm not planning on upgrading this, I'd rather buy a new computer later and keep this one, if I were to upgrade, what would I do with my old processor? It'd go to waste, which is why I like not updating things that aren't broken...making the need for me to use AM2, pointless. I'm not saying I'll use 939 til I die, I'm just saying it has some advantages that some like to not realize.

I'm still running an old 1.66Ghz Sempron with 512mb ram and a geforce fx 5700ultra, it still works, I haven't upgraded it (except for another 256mb stick of ram). And I have no reason to not use this computer anymore. It works, it copes with new games, there's no reason to waste an "old" computer.

I'm assuming you have a decent amount of money, and when you want things, you get them. Hopefully I am wrong, but please don't undervalue things that are worth much more than you think. Again, I'm not saying you are a rude, evil, person, because I hope you aren't, but you are good at appearing it. I would buy my current computer again. Now, does anyone have any other comments? Sorry for the essay, I tend to type alot.

As for phreejak, I may consider your idea.

Btw, any old computer can be put to good use by turning it into a linux webserver, or even a cheap router solution (with Freesco and multiple NIC's)

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi

I would like to point out the obvious thing if you really need 2Gb RAM then buy 1Gb stick and get a second stick later on... :) Whats the problem??? DDR sticks ain't going to disappear overnight.

Also I don't care about your choice of CPU... but why not fork out for a dual-core 939 (with the RAM money you saved) for now while they are still around... If you don't get a decent entry-level 2x 1Mb dual-core CPU now you may never be able to upgrade that part on your 939 (who knows on Ebay, etc.)... I see they are being discounted all over the place over here in the UK. You can always upgrade the PCI-e GPU on a 939 MB!!

I think you probably want to get a 200Gb Seagate 7200.10. Ride that perpendicular wave... :) As a user of Seagate, Hitachi,WD and Maxtor drives I can truely say this new Seagate Series is the dogs bollocks of 7200 SATA drives!! Blows the crap 7200.9 Series away. 5 year warranty as well like the Hitachi drive. I think it only has one platter (??) so less heads = less chance of death.

Also do get a decent PSU (with APC) and a decent (manufacturer) reputation. This can make a lot of difference to system stability and SYSTEM LIFE EXPECTANCY... Your components (MB, HD, etc.) will be much more happy running off a supply with stable voltages!!

Unless you are really hardcore computer user at the cutting edge buying a nice AMD Athlon 4400+ (socket 939) would not only give you a warm tingly feeling with its 2Mb of on-die cache but should keep you going for many more years than the crippled entry-level 3800+ and 4200+ CPUs. (Well 2Gb RAM ain't much good for your system if your CPU is starved of data because the on-die caches are too small and are thrashing.)

Bob Wya

powderkid

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I would strongly recommend getting 1gb of ram, a slower processor, but in exhange get the eVGA 7600gt card

the gamming preformance will be quite good.

DO NOT GET ANYTHING LESS THAN A 7600gt

you can always upgrade ram later, also go AM2 its not to expensive.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I have no idea why you say I'd be wasting my money, if the computer performs well, how can it be a waste of money? You must under-value many things, and if I'm on a budget, 939 is not a waste of money, its cheaper, there's more selection, etc.

How many people do you see using dual cores? Exactly, so why would quad cores be so awesome? Only recently has dual core became quite popular, If programs that take advantage of 2 cores aren't in great abundance, what makes you think four will? Anyway, regardless of your opinion on this setup, I'm not planning on upgrading this, I'd rather buy a new computer later and keep this one, if I were to upgrade, what would I do with my old processor? It'd go to waste, which is why I like not updating things that aren't broken...making the need for me to use AM2, pointless. I'm not saying I'll use 939 til I die, I'm just saying it has some advantages that some like to not realize.

I'm still running an old 1.66Ghz Sempron with 512mb ram and a geforce fx 5700ultra, it still works, I haven't upgraded it (except for another 256mb stick of ram). And I have no reason to not use this computer anymore. It works, it copes with new games, there's no reason to waste an "old" computer.

I'm assuming you have a decent amount of money, and when you want things, you get them. Hopefully I am wrong, but please don't undervalue things that are worth much more than you think. Again, I'm not saying you are a rude, evil, person, because I hope you aren't, but you are good at appearing it. I would buy my current computer again. Now, does anyone have any other comments? Sorry for the essay, I tend to type alot.

As for phreejak, I may consider your idea.

Btw, any old computer can be put to good use by turning it into a linux webserver, or even a cheap router solution (with Freesco and multiple NIC's)
you could alos reuse the ram with 939

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I would strongly recommend getting 1gb of ram, a slower processor, but in exchange get the eVGA 7600gt card

the gaming performance will be quite good.

DO NOT GET ANYTHING LESS THAN A 7600gt

you can always upgrade ram later, also go AM2 its not to expensive.
While I do want a 7600gt, I think I'm going to get a Radeon X800GTO, I would get more for my money, at a lower price (around 90$). Being a nVidia user, I'd like to try ATI for once and see how I like them.

Hopefully my parents will fork in some money to help me pay for this, I'm not settling for crappy parts. :p I chose the PSU because it isn't the cheapest, it had a good rating on newegg.com and had some decent reviews, and I'm on budget.

loner47

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Your choice on a budget power suooly IMO is a good one. I'm running an athlon64 3200+ oc'd to 2.4gig in a Rosewill case with stock Rosewill 400 watt psu for 10+ months Rock Solid.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Your choice on a budget power suooly IMO is a good one. I'm running an athlon64 3200+ oc'd to 2.4gig in a Rosewill case with stock Rosewill 400 watt psu for 10+ months Rock Solid.

Thanks, thats great to know.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
If you're gaming, then you'd be much better getting a

San Diego 4000+ with a decent cooler and overclocking it to FX-57 speeds

then getting a medium-range dual core 939 CPU.

In games, the single-core SD OC'd to FX-57 will demolish anything upto an X2 4600-4800 for insance.

If your PC is going to be for more general multimedia / work use, then the merits of a dual-core CPU will be of more use to you.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006

In games, the single-core SD OC'd to FX-57 will demolish anything upto an X2 4600-4800 for insance.

If your PC is going to be for more general multimedia / work use, then the merits of a dual-core CPU will be of more use to you.
I'm actually using it for gaming, a server (when not gaming, and *possibly* while gaming, I'd like to see how well that works :p), for photoshop, probably cd/dvd burning, encoding, I plan on using it for tons of stuff. I realize single cores are better for gaming, but I want a dual core processor, its simply better with all of the stuff I do, and as long as it beats my Sempron 2000 really far, I'm happy.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

I'm actually using it for gaming, a server (when not gaming, and *possibly* while gaming, I'd like to see how well that works :p), for photoshop, probably cd/dvd burning, encoding, I plan on using it for tons of stuff. I realize single cores are better for gaming, but I want a dual core processor, its simply better with all of the stuff I do, and as long as it beats my Sempron 2000 really far, I'm happy.
If your doing things like photoshop or video you are defently better off with a dual core, and even some new games are much better on a dual core than single. GRAW uses 2 cores to their max. The a64 4200 x2 is a very good midrage dual core for its price and has one of the best price performance ratings.