Computer Shutoff and Nvidia raid problem

benfc123

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I built a new system earlier this year and have 2 problems that I cannot figure out. The first problem is the most urgent one.

1. The system will turn off suddenly as if pulling the power plug. Everytime this has happened(dozens) I was playing a game(Oblivion, Titan Quest, etc) except once. The system will immediately turn back on. There is no pattern, I can play for hours or start a game and play 5 minutes. I have recorded all the settings that PCProbe will record for hours at a time and reviewed this info up until the turn off. There is no significant changes in temps(CPU 48-50C) or voltages. I have lowered the threshold that the video card alerts me to a problem and it does not go off either. In case I was getting bad temp readings, I removed the side of the case and placed a floor fan 2 feet from the computer, but it would still shut off.

I usually run the processor O/C to 2300mhz, although it still shuts down at the stock 2000mhz, I have changed the BFG back to the stock settings, but no difference either.

2. I have 2 Maxtor 250g drives that I set up in Raid 1. 3 days after building the system, the raid broke and I cannot get it to rebuild. I go in the Raid Utility on boot up, it sees both drives as 2 separate systems, when I pick either one to rebuild, I never get the rebuild option. The NVidia Media shield would not rebuild either and now the raid software errors on boot up and Media shield will not run. Do I have to reinstall XP to get the Raid working again?

I have posted the problems separately on ASUS website, but never received an answer, any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: AMD X2 3800 Manchester
CPU Voltage: 1.41
M/B: Asus A8N-SLI
Video: BFG 7800 GT OC
Memory: Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G
Case: Antec Sonata I 192mmfan inside and rear
Power: Antec 550 NEO

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
First guess would be the value ram and OC'ing. You'd have better luck with some corsair twinx or maybe Kingston hyperx but I don't know if the hyperx is compatible with Asus. Secondly it's my opinion Antec cases aren't the best for airflow, the only way I would use another Antec case again is if it was water cooled. You might want to get a bay device that will display temps from probes you attach to heatsinks inside the case it might show you something PC probe isn't.

Wild guess. RAM or video card divers. try using different RAM or one stick and see what happens. RAM is often the culprit of software run failure. Update your video card drivers.