slow DNS response time

chrism

We have two AD-integrated DNS zones which are configured with the forwarders
of our ISP. I noticed that there is a definite response time lag whenever
we try to reach
an Internet site.

I removed the forwarders, thus using our Windows 2003 DNS servers to resolve
external names,
and the response time is lightning-fast.

However, I understand that using forwarders is the recommended way to
resolve external names so
I'd like to figure out *why* there is a response time lag and how it can be
solved.

I do not want to use our own Windows DNS servers to resolve external names
because of an
issue with our PIX Firewall which drops oversized UDP packets.

Thanks for any help !

chrism.

In news:%23Z2CuxUiEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
chrism <chris@no_spam> made a post then I commented below
> We have two AD-integrated DNS zones which are configured with the
> forwarders of our ISP. I noticed that there is a definite response
> time lag whenever we try to reach
> an Internet site.
>
> I removed the forwarders, thus using our Windows 2003 DNS servers to
> resolve external names,
> and the response time is lightning-fast.
>
> However, I understand that using forwarders is the recommended way to
> resolve external names so
> I'd like to figure out *why* there is a response time lag and how it
> can be solved.
>
> I do not want to use our own Windows DNS servers to resolve external
> names because of an
> issue with our PIX Firewall which drops oversized UDP packets.
>
> Thanks for any help !
>
> chrism.

It maybe the ISP's DNS servers causing the lag time and not yours. Here, try
this as a forwarder, and let us know if it works any better: 4.2.2.2.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:%23Z2CuxUiEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
chrism <chris@no_spam> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> We have two AD-integrated DNS zones which are configured
> with the forwarders of our ISP. I noticed that there is
> a definite response time lag whenever we try to reach
> an Internet site.
>
> I removed the forwarders, thus using our Windows 2003 DNS
> servers to resolve external names,
> and the response time is lightning-fast.

You should verify that the DNS servers you are forwarding to can do
recursive lookups. Some ISP's, especially the large ones, disable recursion
on the DNS servers they use for Authoritative lookups. These DNS server
cannot be used as forwarders.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

chrism

thanks ace.

I tried 4.2.2.2 and it seems to be about the same or maybe even a little bit
slower.
I am going to try some of MCIs other caching only servers that they told me
about yesterday.
I think the problem may be with their servers.
also thought maybe a firewall issue but then when we use the win2003 DNS
servers to directly
query the root servers it works super fast.

chrism

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:e0uxDzYiEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23Z2CuxUiEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> chrism <chris@no_spam> made a post then I commented below
>> We have two AD-integrated DNS zones which are configured with the
>> forwarders of our ISP. I noticed that there is a definite response
>> time lag whenever we try to reach
>> an Internet site.
>>
>> I removed the forwarders, thus using our Windows 2003 DNS servers to
>> resolve external names,
>> and the response time is lightning-fast.
>>
>> However, I understand that using forwarders is the recommended way to
>> resolve external names so
>> I'd like to figure out *why* there is a response time lag and how it
>> can be solved.
>>
>> I do not want to use our own Windows DNS servers to resolve external
>> names because of an
>> issue with our PIX Firewall which drops oversized UDP packets.
>>
>> Thanks for any help !
>>
>> chrism.
>
> It maybe the ISP's DNS servers causing the lag time and not yours. Here,
> try
> this as a forwarder, and let us know if it works any better: 4.2.2.2.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

chrism

I am using MCIs servers that they use as caching only servers for name
resolution.

chrism

In news:e59$OefiEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
chrism <chris@no_spam> made a post then I commented below
> thanks ace.
>
> I tried 4.2.2.2 and it seems to be about the same or maybe even a
> little bit slower.
> I am going to try some of MCIs other caching only servers that they
> told me about yesterday.
> I think the problem may be with their servers.
> also thought maybe a firewall issue but then when we use the win2003
> DNS servers to directly
> query the root servers it works super fast.
>
> chrism

That's unusual. Its usually the other way around. Are there any errors in
the event logs?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

chrism

There are no errors in the DNS event log.

I contacted MCI and they said that their public caching-only servers are
slow and overburdened and that they get *lots* of complaints about that.

They gave me a list of some more servers to try but they are all slow with
an unacceptable response time.

Since clearing the Forwarders from our Win2003 DNS, everything's working
great.

thx,

message news:eMkWZ0kiEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

In news:uoJCAzsiEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
chrism <chris@no_spam> made a post then I commented below
> There are no errors in the DNS event log.
>
> I contacted MCI and they said that their public caching-only servers
> are slow and overburdened and that they get *lots* of complaints
> about that.
>
> They gave me a list of some more servers to try but they are all slow
> with an unacceptable response time.
>
> Since clearing the Forwarders from our Win2003 DNS, everything's
> working great.
>
> thx,
>
> chrism.

Unusual, as I mentioned, that not using a forwarder is quicker. But either
way, glad you're up and running.

Ace

TRENDING THREADS