Server 2000 DNS issue

Hi,

I have an External site hosting the xyz.com domain. The external DNS
records contain a host record for owa.xyz.com pointing to our outside
interface on our network.

I have recreated the xyz.com zone on our internal PDC and created a
host record pointing the owa.xyz.com record to an internal IP (The
internal clients are using this as the DNS server). When I do a ping
it goes to the external IP address. When I do an nslookup it points at
the internal IP address?!?!?!?

What I want to acheive is any machines looking for owa.xyz.com from
the internal network get pointed at the internal IP address, not the
outside interface. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

In news:95054dc4.0408240330.52aeef9b@posting.google.com,
Aztec <nixon@australia.edu> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> I have an External site hosting the xyz.com domain. The
> external DNS records contain a host record for
> owa.xyz.com pointing to our outside interface on our
> network.
>
> I have recreated the xyz.com zone on our internal PDC and
> created a host record pointing the owa.xyz.com record to
> an internal IP (The internal clients are using this as
> the DNS server). When I do a ping it goes to the external
> IP address. When I do an nslookup it points at the
> internal IP address?!?!?!?
>
> What I want to acheive is any machines looking for
> owa.xyz.com from the internal network get pointed at the
> internal IP address, not the outside interface. Any ideas
> on what I am doing wrong?

Make sure that only the internal DNS is referred to in TCP/IP properties.
If you recently added the internal zone, you may need to run ipconfig
/flushdns

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

A> When I do a ping it goes to the external IP address.
A> When I do an nslookup it points at the internal IP address?!?!?!?
A> Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

You are not sticking "nslookup different ping" into Google Web before
posting, for starters.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/nslookup-results-different-to-ping.html>