forestdnszones and domaindnszones not listed

Hi all

I have 2 windwos2003 dcs in a Windows2003 forest, one of them was the unique
DNS and it crashed a few days ago. During the crash I installed DNS to the
other DC and re-create the old DC (after the ntdsutil cleanup and after
seizingthe roles schena+donain name).

I have noticed that under DNS the zones "forestdnszones" and"domain
dnszones" are not listed.

How can I populate these two zones again?

thx
13 answers Last reply
More about forestdnszones domaindnszones listed

    In news:OjxAimgiEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have 2 windwos2003 dcs in a Windows2003 forest, one of them was the
    > unique DNS and it crashed a few days ago. During the crash I
    > installed DNS to the other DC and re-create the old DC (after the
    > ntdsutil cleanup and after seizing the roles schena+donain name).
    >
    > I have noticed that under DNS the zones "forestdnszones" and"domain
    > dnszones" are not listed.
    >
    > How can I populate these two zones again?
    >
    > thx

    Do the Domain and Forest application partitions still exist? You can test if
    they do by this:
    c:\>nslookup
    > set type=ns

    Then, query the four special zone names by entering them into nslookup.
    You should receive a response like this:

    > _msdcs.mydomain.com
    Server: serv1.mydomain.com
    Address: 192.168.5.10

    Non-authoritative answer:
    _msdcs.mydomain.com nameserver = MYSERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM
    SERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM internet address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    If not, then that means that the app partitions (ForestDNSZone and
    DomainDNSZones) are gone. You can re-create them and they should show up in
    DNS. I'm assuming you used WIndows 2003 for the servers that you rebuilt. If
    you had installed DNS on the other domain controller and created the zones,
    then this would have had a copy on it. The only way I can see that it was
    lost if when the first domain controller crashed, it 'must' have acted as if
    you deleted the zones from AD.

    You may have to ensure first that the partitions exist in the database. You
    would need to use ADSI Edit to see that data. If they do exist, you just
    want to reassociate the domain controller that is running DNS to that
    partition:

    Enlist a DNS server in a DNS application directory partition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DNS_pro_AddServerToNDNC.asp

    Here's more info on creating them as well:

    Create the default DNS application directory partitions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/datacenter/sag_dns_pro_adddefaultndnc.asp

    ITS Academic Media & Technology - DDNS and BIND integration in Yale's AD:
    http://babs.its.yale.edu/yalead/ddns.asp

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    hi thx for the reply, this is what I get:

    > set type=ns
    > _msdcs.mo.org
    Server: dc2.mo.org
    Address: 192.168.0.10

    mo.org
    primary name server = dc2.mo.org
    responsible mail addr = hostmaster.mo.org
    serial = 60
    refresh = 900 (15 mins)
    retry = 600 (10 mins)
    expire = 86400 (1 day)
    default TTL = 900 (15 mins)

    Before the crash I had 2 windows2003 DC (just 1 with DNS), the DC with the
    DNS is the one that crashed (har disk failure) so I installed DNS (maybe
    this installed the basic DNS and did not get ware of the windows2003 zones?)
    on the second DC (remember I had 2) and then remove the first DC (the one
    that crashed) via ntdsutil and re-create the first DC. I have confirmed
    that, the onlye zones I see listed on the dns now are:
    _msdcs,_sites,_tcp,_udp my goal is to list forestdns and domaindns. because
    I am getting an error "the replication scope could not be set there was a
    server failure" when trying to change the scope to all dns in the forest.

    i also have confirmed via NTDSUTIL that I have 5 NCs:

    Found 5 Naming Context(s)
    0 - CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
    1 - DC=mo,DC=org
    2 - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
    3 - DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org
    4 - DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org

    I got this error when I try to enlist the DC.

    C:\Documents and Settings\exchadmin>dnscmd dc2.mo.org
    /EnlistDirectoryPartition ForestDnsZones.mo.org
    Enlist directory partition failed: ForestDnsZones.mo.org
    status = 9904 (0x000026B0)

    Command failed: DNS_ERROR_DP_ALREADY_ENLISTED 9904 (000026b0)

    Any other ideas?

    thx

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:OVTWrEliEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    In news:OftQbItiEHA.2660@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > hi thx for the reply, this is what I get:
    >
    >> set type=ns
    >> _msdcs.mo.org
    > Server: dc2.mo.org
    > Address: 192.168.0.10
    >
    > mo.org
    > primary name server = dc2.mo.org
    > responsible mail addr = hostmaster.mo.org
    > serial = 60
    > refresh = 900 (15 mins)
    > retry = 600 (10 mins)
    > expire = 86400 (1 day)
    > default TTL = 900 (15 mins)
    >

    > Before the crash I had 2 windows2003 DC (just 1 with DNS), the DC
    > with the DNS is the one that crashed (har disk failure) so I
    > installed DNS (maybe this installed the basic DNS and did not get
    > ware of the windows2003 zones?) on the second DC (remember I had 2)
    > and then remove the first DC (the one that crashed) via ntdsutil and
    > re-create the first DC. I have confirmed that, the onlye zones I see
    > listed on the dns now are: _msdcs,_sites,_tcp,_udp my goal is to list
    > forestdns and domaindns. because I am getting an error "the
    > replication scope could not be set there was a server failure" when
    > trying to change the scope to all dns in the forest.
    >
    > i also have confirmed via NTDSUTIL that I have 5 NCs:
    >
    > Found 5 Naming Context(s)
    > 0 - CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
    > 1 - DC=mo,DC=org
    > 2 - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
    > 3 - DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org
    > 4 - DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org
    >
    > I got this error when I try to enlist the DC.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\exchadmin>dnscmd dc2.mo.org
    > /EnlistDirectoryPartition ForestDnsZones.mo.org
    > Enlist directory partition failed: ForestDnsZones.mo.org
    > status = 9904 (0x000026B0)
    >
    > Command failed: DNS_ERROR_DP_ALREADY_ENLISTED 9904 (000026b0)
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > thx

    Hmm. Have you tried to just create the zone as it showed in one of those
    articles?

    --

    In news:OOfxnDwiEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
    made a post then I commented below

    Just to add, maybe looking into ADSI Edit may do the trick.

    Ace

    Hi Ace, thanks I am not sure where/what to check in ADSI

    I have found under configuration \ partitions the directory partitions names
    for bot forestdnszones and domaindnszones.

    Is this what I need to check in ADSI?

    message news:%23E6J0awiEHA.1348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > In news:OOfxnDwiEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Ace Fekay [MVP]
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
    > made a post then I commented below
    >

    > Just to add, maybe looking into ADSI Edit may do the trick.
    >
    > Ace

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OyG1XB5iEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi Ace, thanks I am not sure where/what to check in ADSI
    >
    > I have found under configuration \ partitions the directory
    > partitions names for bot forestdnszones and domaindnszones.
    >
    > Is this what I need to check in ADSI?
    >
    > thx

    Hi Eric,

    Yes, that's the location. Unfortunately I don't have a 2003 server in front
    of me to walk you thru it. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a look at
    what I can do for you.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    ok thank you very much, so far yes these two entries are listed in ADSI but
    the issue is that none of my two DNS listed them as a zones.
    message news:%23EZ7CM%23iEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > In news:OyG1XB5iEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > Hi Ace, thanks I am not sure where/what to check in ADSI
    > >
    > > I have found under configuration \ partitions the directory
    > > partitions names for bot forestdnszones and domaindnszones.
    > >
    > > Is this what I need to check in ADSI?
    > >
    > > thx
    >
    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > Yes, that's the location. Unfortunately I don't have a 2003 server in
    front
    > of me to walk you thru it. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a look at
    > what I can do for you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:O6uNQ8HjEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > ok thank you very much, so far yes these two entries are listed in
    > ADSI but the issue is that none of my two DNS listed them as a zones.

    SDorry, I didn;'t get a chance. What I wanted to try is to take a complety
    new install with those zones, and then delete them from DNS, and then see
    how to put them back in.

    Also, dumb question on my part, what view are you in?

    Ace
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi Ace,

    I am using the advanced view.

    thx
    -Eric
    message news:eI$UhgLjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > In news:O6uNQ8HjEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > ok thank you very much, so far yes these two entries are listed in
    > > ADSI but the issue is that none of my two DNS listed them as a zones.
    >
    > SDorry, I didn;'t get a chance. What I wanted to try is to take a complety
    > new install with those zones, and then delete them from DNS, and then see
    > how to put them back in.
    >
    > Also, dumb question on my part, what view are you in?
    >
    > Ace

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:eBslezqjEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi Ace,
    >
    > I am using the advanced view.
    >
    > thx
    > -Eric

    I recreated your scenario. I installed a fresh DC and DNS and it created
    those child zones under the zone. Then I restarted the machine (just for the
    heck of it). I noticed they were gone. I then checked ADSIEdit and they were
    still there. So I re-created the zones manuall. I did it by rt-clicking my
    domain.com zone, selected new domain, (child domain is what it will wind up
    being) and in the wizard typed in them name ForestDnsZone, . Then I did the
    same thing with DomainDnsZone. However, I noticed they were empty after
    creating them. I refreshed the screen, still empty. Then I restarted the
    netlogon service, Voila! The zones populated.

    Let me know if this helped.

    Ace
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi Ace thanks for your reply.

    In my case that did not work, the new zones never got populated.

    I will keep searching on what to do to fix this issue.
    message news:OCwUoOHkEHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In news:eBslezqjEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    > eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > Hi Ace,
    > >
    > > I am using the advanced view.
    > >
    > > thx
    > > -Eric
    >

    > I recreated your scenario. I installed a fresh DC and DNS and it created
    > those child zones under the zone. Then I restarted the machine (just for
    the
    > heck of it). I noticed they were gone. I then checked ADSIEdit and they
    were
    > still there. So I re-created the zones manuall. I did it by rt-clicking my
    > domain.com zone, selected new domain, (child domain is what it will wind
    up
    > being) and in the wizard typed in them name ForestDnsZone, . Then I did
    the
    > same thing with DomainDnsZone. However, I noticed they were empty after
    > creating them. I refreshed the screen, still empty. Then I restarted the
    > netlogon service, Voila! The zones populated.
    >
    > Let me know if this helped.
    >
    > Ace

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:u1MSQfQkEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi Ace thanks for your reply.
    >
    > In my case that did not work, the new zones never got populated.
    >
    > I will keep searching on what to do to fix this issue.
    > thx
    > -Eric

    Would you like me to remote into this and see what's up with it?

    Ace
  13. Hi,

    I am having almost exactly the same issue, no DomainDnsZones or ForestDnsZones visible in DNS which is preventing me from running adprep / rodcprep for a move to a server 2008 domain.

    I can see the partitions in ADSIEDIT under Configuration > CN=partitions.

    If I try to connect to the naming context, 'dc=ForestDnsZones,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx' I get the message 'A referral was returned from the server'.

    If I right click on my DNS zone and choose 'Create Default Application Directory Partitions' it says the specfied directory partition already exists.

    I tried manually creating the domains within my domain zone in DNs and they appeared but empty.

    I restarted NETLOGON and DNS services and they disappeared again...

    Can anyone help please?

    Thanks,

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft DNS Windows