forestdnszones and domaindnszones not listed

Hi all

I have 2 windwos2003 dcs in a Windows2003 forest, one of them was the unique
DNS and it crashed a few days ago. During the crash I installed DNS to the
other DC and re-create the old DC (after the ntdsutil cleanup and after
seizingthe roles schena+donain name).

I have noticed that under DNS the zones "forestdnszones" and"domain
dnszones" are not listed.

How can I populate these two zones again?

thx

In news:OjxAimgiEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hi all
>
> I have 2 windwos2003 dcs in a Windows2003 forest, one of them was the
> unique DNS and it crashed a few days ago. During the crash I
> installed DNS to the other DC and re-create the old DC (after the
> ntdsutil cleanup and after seizing the roles schena+donain name).
>
> I have noticed that under DNS the zones "forestdnszones" and"domain
> dnszones" are not listed.
>
> How can I populate these two zones again?
>
> thx

Do the Domain and Forest application partitions still exist? You can test if
they do by this:
c:\>nslookup
> set type=ns

Then, query the four special zone names by entering them into nslookup.
You should receive a response like this:

> _msdcs.mydomain.com
Server: serv1.mydomain.com
Address: 192.168.5.10

Non-authoritative answer:
_msdcs.mydomain.com nameserver = MYSERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM
SERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM internet address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If not, then that means that the app partitions (ForestDNSZone and
DomainDNSZones) are gone. You can re-create them and they should show up in
DNS. I'm assuming you used WIndows 2003 for the servers that you rebuilt. If
you had installed DNS on the other domain controller and created the zones,
then this would have had a copy on it. The only way I can see that it was
lost if when the first domain controller crashed, it 'must' have acted as if
you deleted the zones from AD.

You may have to ensure first that the partitions exist in the database. You
would need to use ADSI Edit to see that data. If they do exist, you just
want to reassociate the domain controller that is running DNS to that
partition:

Enlist a DNS server in a DNS application directory partition:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DNS_pro_AddServerToNDNC.asp

Here's more info on creating them as well:

Create the default DNS application directory partitions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/datacenter/sag_dns_pro_adddefaultndnc.asp

ITS Academic Media & Technology - DDNS and BIND integration in Yale's AD:
http://babs.its.yale.edu/yalead/ddns.asp

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

hi thx for the reply, this is what I get:

> set type=ns
> _msdcs.mo.org
Server: dc2.mo.org
Address: 192.168.0.10

mo.org
primary name server = dc2.mo.org
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.mo.org
serial = 60
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 900 (15 mins)

Before the crash I had 2 windows2003 DC (just 1 with DNS), the DC with the
DNS is the one that crashed (har disk failure) so I installed DNS (maybe
this installed the basic DNS and did not get ware of the windows2003 zones?)
on the second DC (remember I had 2) and then remove the first DC (the one
that crashed) via ntdsutil and re-create the first DC. I have confirmed
that, the onlye zones I see listed on the dns now are:
_msdcs,_sites,_tcp,_udp my goal is to list forestdns and domaindns. because
I am getting an error "the replication scope could not be set there was a
server failure" when trying to change the scope to all dns in the forest.

i also have confirmed via NTDSUTIL that I have 5 NCs:

Found 5 Naming Context(s)
0 - CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
1 - DC=mo,DC=org
2 - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
3 - DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org
4 - DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org

I got this error when I try to enlist the DC.

C:\Documents and Settings\exchadmin>dnscmd dc2.mo.org
/EnlistDirectoryPartition ForestDnsZones.mo.org
Enlist directory partition failed: ForestDnsZones.mo.org
status = 9904 (0x000026B0)

Command failed: DNS_ERROR_DP_ALREADY_ENLISTED 9904 (000026b0)

Any other ideas?

thx

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:OVTWrEliEHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

In news:OftQbItiEHA.2660@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
> hi thx for the reply, this is what I get:
>
>> set type=ns
>> _msdcs.mo.org
> Server: dc2.mo.org
> Address: 192.168.0.10
>
> mo.org
> primary name server = dc2.mo.org
> responsible mail addr = hostmaster.mo.org
> serial = 60
> refresh = 900 (15 mins)
> retry = 600 (10 mins)
> expire = 86400 (1 day)
> default TTL = 900 (15 mins)
>

> Before the crash I had 2 windows2003 DC (just 1 with DNS), the DC
> with the DNS is the one that crashed (har disk failure) so I
> installed DNS (maybe this installed the basic DNS and did not get
> ware of the windows2003 zones?) on the second DC (remember I had 2)
> and then remove the first DC (the one that crashed) via ntdsutil and
> re-create the first DC. I have confirmed that, the onlye zones I see
> listed on the dns now are: _msdcs,_sites,_tcp,_udp my goal is to list
> forestdns and domaindns. because I am getting an error "the
> replication scope could not be set there was a server failure" when
> trying to change the scope to all dns in the forest.
>
> i also have confirmed via NTDSUTIL that I have 5 NCs:
>
> Found 5 Naming Context(s)
> 0 - CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
> 1 - DC=mo,DC=org
> 2 - CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mo,DC=org
> 3 - DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org
> 4 - DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mo,DC=org
>
> I got this error when I try to enlist the DC.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\exchadmin>dnscmd dc2.mo.org
> /EnlistDirectoryPartition ForestDnsZones.mo.org
> Enlist directory partition failed: ForestDnsZones.mo.org
> status = 9904 (0x000026B0)
>
> Command failed: DNS_ERROR_DP_ALREADY_ENLISTED 9904 (000026b0)
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> thx

Hmm. Have you tried to just create the zone as it showed in one of those
articles?

--

In news:OOfxnDwiEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
made a post then I commented below

Just to add, maybe looking into ADSI Edit may do the trick.

Ace

Hi Ace, thanks I am not sure where/what to check in ADSI

I have found under configuration \ partitions the directory partitions names
for bot forestdnszones and domaindnszones.

Is this what I need to check in ADSI?

message news:%23E6J0awiEHA.1348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

In news:OyG1XB5iEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hi Ace, thanks I am not sure where/what to check in ADSI
>
> I have found under configuration \ partitions the directory
> partitions names for bot forestdnszones and domaindnszones.
>
> Is this what I need to check in ADSI?
>
> thx

Hi Eric,

Yes, that's the location. Unfortunately I don't have a 2003 server in front
of me to walk you thru it. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a look at
what I can do for you.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

ok thank you very much, so far yes these two entries are listed in ADSI but
the issue is that none of my two DNS listed them as a zones.
message news:%23EZ7CM%23iEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

In news:O6uNQ8HjEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
> ok thank you very much, so far yes these two entries are listed in
> ADSI but the issue is that none of my two DNS listed them as a zones.

SDorry, I didn;'t get a chance. What I wanted to try is to take a complety
new install with those zones, and then delete them from DNS, and then see
how to put them back in.

Also, dumb question on my part, what view are you in?

Ace

Hi Ace,

I am using the advanced view.

thx
-Eric
message news:eI$UhgLjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

In news:eBslezqjEHA.1344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hi Ace,
>
> I am using the advanced view.
>
> thx
> -Eric

I recreated your scenario. I installed a fresh DC and DNS and it created
those child zones under the zone. Then I restarted the machine (just for the
heck of it). I noticed they were gone. I then checked ADSIEdit and they were
still there. So I re-created the zones manuall. I did it by rt-clicking my
domain.com zone, selected new domain, (child domain is what it will wind up
being) and in the wizard typed in them name ForestDnsZone, . Then I did the
same thing with DomainDnsZone. However, I noticed they were empty after
creating them. I refreshed the screen, still empty. Then I restarted the
netlogon service, Voila! The zones populated.

Let me know if this helped.

Ace

Hi Ace thanks for your reply.

In my case that did not work, the new zones never got populated.

I will keep searching on what to do to fix this issue.
message news:OCwUoOHkEHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

In news:u1MSQfQkEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
eric romero <e.romero@cgnet.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hi Ace thanks for your reply.
>
> In my case that did not work, the new zones never got populated.
>
> I will keep searching on what to do to fix this issue.
> thx
> -Eric

Would you like me to remote into this and see what's up with it?

Ace

reboot2fix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi,

I am having almost exactly the same issue, no DomainDnsZones or ForestDnsZones visible in DNS which is preventing me from running adprep / rodcprep for a move to a server 2008 domain.

I can see the partitions in ADSIEDIT under Configuration > CN=partitions.

If I try to connect to the naming context, 'dc=ForestDnsZones,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx' I get the message 'A referral was returned from the server'.

If I right click on my DNS zone and choose 'Create Default Application Directory Partitions' it says the specfied directory partition already exists.

I tried manually creating the domains within my domain zone in DNs and they appeared but empty.

I restarted NETLOGON and DNS services and they disappeared again...

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,