Where is the Resource Record kept?

Where is the DNS resource record kept on a windows 2000 server? It should be
just a plain ol' text file right? I looked in %systemroot%/system32/dns but
I didn't see it there.

Thanks.

It will not be there IF the zone is AD-integrated. Convert the zone to
Standard and update the server data file, and you should see it.

--
Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon
"Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where is the DNS resource record kept on a windows 2000 server? It should
be
> just a plain ol' text file right? I looked in %systemroot%/system32/dns
but
> I didn't see it there.
>
> Thanks.

Perhaps I should ask the right question:

What I wanted to do is print out the resource list. Our DNS is AD Integrated
and I don't plan on de-integrating it. All I need to do is print out the
list of A records from our single zone. I can't do this within the DNS MMC
snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)

Thanks!

In news:edFW4YjiEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jim in Arizona <tiltowait@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> Perhaps I should ask the right question:
>
> What I wanted to do is print out the resource list. Our DNS is AD
> Integrated and I don't plan on de-integrating it. All I need to do is
> print out the list of A records from our single zone. I can't do this
> within the DNS MMC snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter?
> :)
>
> Thanks!

You can use dnscmd to enumerate your zones and records. That tool is found
in the Windows 2000 Support Tools.

dnscmd /enumrecords

Run dnscmd /? to get all the possible options. Here's more info:

286041 - How to use Dnscmd.exe to Extract Information from Active Directory
Integrated DNS Zones:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286041

You can also use DNSDump by Dean Wells, found at:
www.reskit.com/scripts

And you won't need a 12" sliding chop saw with laser !!

:)

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:edFW4YjiEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jim in Arizona <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:

I can't do this within the DNS MMC
> snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)

Oh, but you can, right click on the zone, select export list.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

JiA> Where is the DNS resource record kept on a windows 2000 server?

"Where are telephone directories kept in houses?"

JiA> It should be just a plain ol' text file right?

Wrong. Microsoft's DNS server is capable of using more than one DNS
database storage mechanism.

You can also just use something like dig or nslookup and do an axfr query to
get all the data and strip out all but the A records

C:\>dig test.com axfr > test.com.zone.txt

notepad test.com.zone.txt

etc..

--
William Stacey, MVP

"Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps I should ask the right question:
>
> What I wanted to do is print out the resource list. Our DNS is AD
Integrated
> and I don't plan on de-integrating it. All I need to do is print out the
> list of A records from our single zone. I can't do this within the DNS MMC
> snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.com> wrote in message
> > It will not be there IF the zone is AD-integrated. Convert the zone to
> > Standard and update the server data file, and you should see it.
> >
> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
> > www.akomolafe.com
> > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
> > Yesterday? -anon
> > "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Where is the DNS resource record kept on a windows 2000 server? It
should
> > be
> >> just a plain ol' text file right? I looked in %systemroot%/system32/dns
> > but
> >> I didn't see it there.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

I actually couldn't use 'Export List'. I was using the administrative tools
that I had installed on a WinXP Pro machine on my network using a
non-administrative account. Although I had full delegated control over the
domain, I didn't see that option using the tools on the workstation. I
terminaled into the domain controller/DNS server and within DNS manager
there I was able to see and use the 'Export List' option.

Thanks Kevin.

Jim

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:edFW4YjiEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Jim in Arizona <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
>
> I can't do this within the DNS MMC
>> snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)
>
> Oh, but you can, right click on the zone, select export list.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> with OEBackup:

I have never heard of 'dig'. Although I've used nslookup on occasion, I am
not familiar with it enogh to query it for specifics and direct the output
to a file. I'll have to work on that.

Thanks William.

Jim

"William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You can also just use something like dig or nslookup and do an axfr query
> get all the data and strip out all but the A records
>
> C:\>dig test.com axfr > test.com.zone.txt
>
> notepad test.com.zone.txt
>
> etc..
>
> --
> William Stacey, MVP
>
> "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Perhaps I should ask the right question:
>>
>> What I wanted to do is print out the resource list. Our DNS is AD
> Integrated
>> and I don't plan on de-integrating it. All I need to do is print out the
>> list of A records from our single zone. I can't do this within the DNS
>> MMC
>> snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.com> wrote in message
>> > It will not be there IF the zone is AD-integrated. Convert the zone to
>> > Standard and update the server data file, and you should see it.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sincerely,
>> >
>> > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
>> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>> > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
>> > www.akomolafe.com
>> > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
>> > Yesterday? -anon
>> > "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> should
>> > be
>> > but

I still don't understand why you don't simply convert the zone, update the
server data file, which will write it to a file, then convert your zone back
to AD-int. It breaks nothing.

What are you afraid of?

--

> I have never heard of 'dig'. Although I've used nslookup on occasion, I am
> not familiar with it enogh to query it for specifics and direct the output
> to a file. I'll have to work on that.
>
> Thanks William.
>
> Jim
>

> "William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > You can also just use something like dig or nslookup and do an axfr
query
> > get all the data and strip out all but the A records
> >
> > C:\>dig test.com axfr > test.com.zone.txt
> >
> > notepad test.com.zone.txt
> >
> > etc..
> >
> > --
> > William Stacey, MVP
> >
> > "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Perhaps I should ask the right question:
> >>
> >> What I wanted to do is print out the resource list. Our DNS is AD
> > Integrated
> >> and I don't plan on de-integrating it. All I need to do is print out
the
> >> list of A records from our single zone. I can't do this within the DNS
> >> MMC
> >> snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> >> "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.com> wrote in message

> > should

Once you learn it, you will not use nslookup or other. I have built a dos
and gui version for windows called NetDig. It requires Framework 1.1
installed to use and is free. www.mvptools.com.

--
William Stacey, MVP

"Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have never heard of 'dig'. Although I've used nslookup on occasion, I am
> not familiar with it enogh to query it for specifics and direct the output
> to a file. I'll have to work on that.
>
> Thanks William.
>
> Jim
>

> "William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > You can also just use something like dig or nslookup and do an axfr
query
> > get all the data and strip out all but the A records
> >
> > C:\>dig test.com axfr > test.com.zone.txt
> >
> > notepad test.com.zone.txt
> >
> > etc..
> >
> > --
> > William Stacey, MVP
> >
> > "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Perhaps I should ask the right question:
> >>
> >> What I wanted to do is print out the resource list. Our DNS is AD
> > Integrated
> >> and I don't plan on de-integrating it. All I need to do is print out
the
> >> list of A records from our single zone. I can't do this within the DNS
> >> MMC
> >> snap-in. Any Ideas, without becoming a carpenter? :)
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> >> "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.com> wrote in message

> > should

In news:%23gMHs29iEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
William Stacey [MVP] <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> made a post then I commented
below
> Once you learn it, you will not use nslookup or other. I have built
> a dos and gui version for windows called NetDig. It requires
> Framework 1.1 installed to use and is free. www.mvptools.com.

And must say it's a great tool!

As for Jim, I think it would be easier at this point in time to just use
dnscmd to grab the records, AD Integrated or not.

btw- Jim, Dig is found by downloading and installing BIND from www.isc.org.
Just use the Dig tool out of the folder.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Hi Deji.

The first reason is because I really don't know enough about DNS or AD to
comfortably pull something like that off. I'm still reading books on the
subject.

The second reason, and most important reason, is because my IT director and
his right hand employee would never go for a change like that because they
know even less than I do. You know, office politics. :)

I will look into your suggestion by experimenting on my home network.

Thanks Deji.

Jim

>I still don't understand why you don't simply convert the zone, update the
> server data file, which will write it to a file, then convert your zone
> back
> to AD-int. It breaks nothing.
>
> What are you afraid of?
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> www.readymaids.com - we know IT
> www.akomolafe.com
> Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
> Yesterday? -anon
> "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have never heard of 'dig'. Although I've used nslookup on occasion, I
>> am
>> not familiar with it enogh to query it for specifics and direct the
>> output
>> to a file. I'll have to work on that.
>>
>> Thanks William.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> "William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > You can also just use something like dig or nslookup and do an axfr
> query
>> > get all the data and strip out all but the A records
>> >
>> > C:\>dig test.com axfr > test.com.zone.txt
>> >
>> > notepad test.com.zone.txt
>> >
>> > etc..
>> >
>> > --
>> > William Stacey, MVP
>> >
>> > "Jim in Arizona" <tiltowait@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Integrated
> the

>> > should

Thanks William and Ace. I will definately take a look at these tools to see
how I can put them to use!

Thanks for the help. It's greatley appreciated!

Jim

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eRFyLP%23iEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

In news:OGuosSHjEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Jim in Arizona <tiltowait@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> Hi Deji.
>
> The first reason is because I really don't know enough about DNS or
> AD to comfortably pull something like that off. I'm still reading
> books on the subject.
>
> The second reason, and most important reason, is because my IT
> director and his right hand employee would never go for a change like
> that because they know even less than I do. You know, office
> politics. :)
>
> I will look into your suggestion by experimenting on my home network.
>
> Thanks Deji.
>
> Jim

Jim, there's really nothing to changing the zone type. You are just telling
it to store it in some other location.

--

In news:uFlgFVHjEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Jim in Arizona <tiltowait@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> Thanks William and Ace. I will definately take a look at these tools
> to see how I can put them to use!
>
> Thanks for the help. It's greatley appreciated!
>
> Jim

I hope it helps out!!
:)