Allright I need help between 2 cards

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
So far I have a 4200x2 as a CUP.

Next I want to know what GPU I should buy and I really need advice from people who know this stuff.
So the 2 cards I was looking at were the Radeon X850XT and the 7600GT

I under stand the pros of the Radeon is that it is 256 bit over the 7600 which is 128 bit and that is has 16 pixel pipelines over the 7600's 12

The one thing that people have said is that the X850XT is older and has a Pixel shader 2.0 and the 7600 has a 3.0(the norm for today)

I do want to build this comp for gaming and the card is on a budget. I understand that the 850 is also rather cheap (almost $100) and these would be makeshift so I could save for a DX10 card.

Which card would be better if I planned to use it for about a year? Will the Pixel shader last on all of the high end games for a while?

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yes, thank you both for your opinion.

The one thing that I really wanted to know is does the Pixel shader in the X850XT going to have problems with the next years worth of games?

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Yes, thank you both for your opinion.

The one thing that I really wanted to know is does the Pixel shader in the X850XT going to have problems with the next years worth of games?

Neither of them will run this years games very well. That's what you get when you go budget.

EDIT: But to provide a better answer, most of the games that REQUIRE pixel shader 3.0 (Oblivion is the only one that comes to my mind) will run so poorly on a budget card that it won't make much difference anyway.

That being said I say get the 7600, but then I'm an nVidia fanboy so I'm biased.

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yea Well I dont plan to/want to run everything on high yet, that can wait.

How bad could a game like Oblivion be on mid-low settings anyway.

Also just being able to play a game with good FPS (any settings mid is great) is good enough for me

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
SM3 being the norm? Most games don't even require SM3. Unless you plan to own this card for the next 5 years or something, I'd go with the X850XT.

You really can't go wrong with either one. I'd personally go with the X850XT has it has more pipes and fatter memory bandwidth, lower price, and heat exhaust.

pauldh

Illustrious
EDIT: But to provide a better answer, most of the games that REQUIRE pixel shader 3.0 (Oblivion is the only one that comes to my mind) will run so poorly on a budget card that it won't make much difference anyway.
Oblivion doesn't require a PS3.0 card. Matter of fact, the X850XT does very well in Oblivion beating a 7800GT even. The problem is the X850XT can not use HDR in Oblivion. So when comparing the X850XT to the slower 7600GT, do you want the much a better FSAA/bloom card or a card that can run HDR, but at reduced res/detail/performance.

Anyway, my feeling is the X850XT performancewise is above a 7600GT. But they are close enough to the point where I have always said priced the same go with the 7600GT as it's a decent enough card to use it's features, unlike most GF6's.

But prices are not the same right now. Shoot, the X850XT is under $100 and the 7600GT is $40+ more. Right now, for a short term card, I like the $95 X850XT. It can play any game out there and shows just how strong it is in the current demading Oblivion. But if the X850XT price goes back up and they are close to each other, then the 7600GT gets my nod.