Unable to access our own external web site

I have poked around in SBS newsgroup trying to find the
answer to this, but can't see anything, so I thought I
would check with the W2k DNS group.

Config:
-Running a SBS 2k server with 2 NICs.
-One NIC has an IP address of x.x.x.2 (labeled External)
-The other has an IP address of x.x.x.3 (labeled Internal)
-SBS server is DC for domain.local
-SBS server also hosting external web site (domain.com)
-IIS runs External web site on External NIC and Intranet
on Internal NIC
-DNS entry for www pointing to the External NIC

Problem:
-Computers in domain.local can't access domain.com web
site

Resolution?
3 answers Last reply
More about unable access external site

    Point your dns entry to the interanl IP of the web.

    Lowly Almost Admin wrote:

    > I have poked around in SBS newsgroup trying to find the
    > answer to this, but can't see anything, so I thought I
    > would check with the W2k DNS group.
    >
    > Config:
    > -Running a SBS 2k server with 2 NICs.
    > -One NIC has an IP address of x.x.x.2 (labeled External)
    > -The other has an IP address of x.x.x.3 (labeled Internal)
    > -SBS server is DC for domain.local
    > -SBS server also hosting external web site (domain.com)
    > -IIS runs External web site on External NIC and Intranet
    > on Internal NIC
    > -DNS entry for www pointing to the External NIC
    >
    > Problem:
    > -Computers in domain.local can't access domain.com web
    > site
    >
    > Resolution?

    What information do you get back from internal clients when you do a ping
    to the external website (www.domain.com). Depending on what you get back
    you can determine how your DNS is resolving the name for you. It is
    possible that your internal clients are resolving the www.domain.com to the
    internal ip address x.x.x.3 which you say has a different web site bound to
    the interface. If that is the case you will need to manually put an entry
    into the DNS server to point to the x.x.x.2 address.
    You may want to test out access to the website first by tweaking the host
    file on one of the clients so that www.domain.com points to x.x.x.3, just to
    make sure it is giving you the desired results. If it is then test it out
    by modifying the record in DNS.

    Regards,
    Ed Horley

    "Lowly Almost Admin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have poked around in SBS newsgroup trying to find the
    > answer to this, but can't see anything, so I thought I
    > would check with the W2k DNS group.
    >
    > Config:
    > -Running a SBS 2k server with 2 NICs.
    > -One NIC has an IP address of x.x.x.2 (labeled External)
    > -The other has an IP address of x.x.x.3 (labeled Internal)
    > -SBS server is DC for domain.local
    > -SBS server also hosting external web site (domain.com)
    > -IIS runs External web site on External NIC and Intranet
    > on Internal NIC
    > -DNS entry for www pointing to the External NIC
    >
    > Problem:
    > -Computers in domain.local can't access domain.com web
    > site
    >
    > Resolution?

    In news:600b01c48ac3$eb722a40$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    Lowly Almost Admin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their
    comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I have poked around in SBS newsgroup trying to find the
    > answer to this, but can't see anything, so I thought I
    > would check with the W2k DNS group.
    >
    > Config:
    > -Running a SBS 2k server with 2 NICs.
    > -One NIC has an IP address of x.x.x.2 (labeled External)
    > -The other has an IP address of x.x.x.3 (labeled Internal)
    > -SBS server is DC for domain.local
    > -SBS server also hosting external web site (domain.com)
    > -IIS runs External web site on External NIC and Intranet
    > on Internal NIC
    > -DNS entry for www pointing to the External NIC
    >
    > Problem:
    > -Computers in domain.local can't access domain.com web
    > site
    >
    > Resolution?

    Create a forward lookup zone named www.domain.com, in that zone create a new
    host leave the name field blank give it the IP of the web server.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Domain DNS Servers Windows