effect of SP2

October 18, 2004 4:41:03 AM

I installed it yesterday, and since then my computer has been constantly
freezing, I cannot print, cannot send emails by right clicking and using
"send to" . Is there anything I should have done prior to downloading it?

More about : effect sp2

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 12:53:28 PM

Hi

What, if any, error messages are you seeing? The following articles are
very useful for SP2 pre-installation:

"Introduction to Windows XP Service Pack 2" - by Barb Bowman
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/exper...

"What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed it yesterday, and since then my computer has been constantly
> freezing, I cannot print, cannot send emails by right clicking and using
> "send to" . Is there anything I should have done prior to downloading it?

October 18, 2004 12:53:29 PM

No, did not receive any error messages . My computer is very slow, it
freezes and I cannot use my printer and cannot do some other tasks. It just
isn't running property.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> What, if any, error messages are you seeing? The following articles are
> very useful for SP2 pre-installation:
>
> "Introduction to Windows XP Service Pack 2" - by Barb Bowman
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/exper...
>
> "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed it yesterday, and since then my computer has been constantly
> > freezing, I cannot print, cannot send emails by right clicking and using
> > "send to" . Is there anything I should have done prior to downloading it?

October 18, 2004 2:16:06 PM

There is now an SP2 chat at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/cha...

--
What's another word for synonym?

"Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed it yesterday, and since then my computer has been constantly
> freezing, I cannot print, cannot send emails by right clicking and using
> "send to" . Is there anything I should have done prior to downloading it?

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:18:48 PM

In news:2E60DAB2-803C-446A-8109-18E316982774@microsoft.com,
Jenks <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I installed it yesterday, and since then my computer has been
> constantly freezing, I cannot print, cannot send emails by
> right
> clicking and using "send to" . Is there anything I should have
> done
> prior to downloading it?

Yes, primarily making sure you were free of viruses and spyware.
Read here:

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:46:59 PM

Hi, Jenks.

What make and model computer (or motherboard/CPU/chipset if you built it
yourself)?

Please define "freezing" in this case. Does the mouse still work? The
keyboard? Does the computer reboot?

How did you install SP2? From Automatic Updates? Manual download and
update? Microsoft SP2 update CD-ROM?

You can see your computer. We can't. All we know is what you tell us and,
so far, that isn't much. Your first message mentioned "freezing", the
second says "very slow", and both mention printer problems. None of that
information gives us much to go on to make a diagnosis.

Did you read the information that Will pointed out to you?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7E8F5DD-8F97-46EF-BF62-44922ACE14F9@microsoft.com...
> No, did not receive any error messages . My computer is very slow, it
> freezes and I cannot use my printer and cannot do some other tasks. It
> just
> isn't running property.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What, if any, error messages are you seeing? The following articles are
>> very useful for SP2 pre-installation:
>>
>> "Introduction to Windows XP Service Pack 2" - by Barb Bowman
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/exper...
>>
>> "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed it yesterday, and since then my computer has been constantly
>> > freezing, I cannot print, cannot send emails by right clicking and
>> > using
>> > "send to" . Is there anything I should have done prior to downloading
>> > it?
October 18, 2004 10:47:03 PM

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Jenks.
>
> What make and model computer (or motherboard/CPU/chipset if you built it
> yourself)?
No, did not built myself,
Intel Pentium 4, 1.8 GHZ, Intel 4 M/B, SL-2000, 512 RD RAM

> Please define "freezing" in this case.
example. -- if on Word, and go to read my emails and open an email and try
to open a link everything gets stuck, so that the only way to get out of it
is to go to task manager and delete all as they appear to be running. The
hour glass is on for ever...

Does the mouse still work? The
> keyboard?
Mouse and keyboard are o.k.
Does the computer reboot? It was not rebooting on Sunday night, but it has
cleared since, and it seems o.k.

> How did you install SP2? From Automatic Updates? yes, from Automatic Update.

Manual download and
> update? Microsoft SP2 update CD-ROM?
>
> You can see your computer. We can't. All we know is what you tell us and,
> so far, that isn't much. Your first message mentioned "freezing", the
> second says "very slow", and both mention printer problems. None of that
> information gives us much to go on to make a diagnosis.
Sorry, never quite know what I should cover. Freezing, is defined above.
It is slow because it is slugging going from one window to the other. I
suppose I have had it for four years and know it is not working as usual.

> Did you read the information that Will pointed out to you?
Yes I did. I also read the other suggestions and deleted
Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Dowload but not the other one mentioned -
C:\Windows\$NTservicePack Uninstall, as I did not quite understand what was
being covered and said. I am getting very very confused.

> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7E8F5DD-8F97-46EF-BF62-44922ACE14F9@microsoft.com...
> > No, did not receive any error messages . My computer is very slow, it
> > freezes and I cannot use my printer and cannot do some other tasks. It
> > just
> > isn't running property.
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> What, if any, error messages are you seeing? The following articles are
> >> very useful for SP2 pre-installation:
> >>
> >> "Introduction to Windows XP Service Pack 2" - by Barb Bowman
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/exper...
> >>
> >> "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 12:48:54 PM

Hi, Jenks.

Thanks for the additional info. That might help us help you. We can stop
worrying that you may be trying to run WinXP on Pentium II with just 64 MB
RAM. ;^}

Let's focus on this one point:
>> Please define "freezing" in this case.
> example. -- if on Word, and go to read my emails and open an email and
> try
> to open a link everything gets stuck, so that the only way to get out of
> it
> is to go to task manager and delete all as they appear to be running. The
> hour glass is on for ever...

Microsoft Word doesn't read emails, so please tell us which program you use
to read email: Outlook 2003? Outlook Express? Or a non-Microsoft program?
(Not that there's anything wrong with non-MS software; much of it is better
than MS products. But knowing just what you are using helps us to help
you.)

HOW do you "try to open a link"? Do you click on a highlighted URL in the
email message? Or what?

And then..."everything gets stuck"? What does this mean? The clicked link
doesn't open? Does it get as far as starting Internet Express? Do you see
the green-dot "thermometer" in the IE Status Bar? Just exactly what do you
see?

> the only way to get out of it
> is to go to task manager and delete all as they appear to be running.

If you can do this, then the computer is not "hung" (That's the elegant
technical term.) because the keyboard obviously is working and you can
regain control of the computer without rebooting. The trouble-shooting
steps and the diagnosis are not the same as for a computer that hangs.

> as they appear to be running.

Please define "they". Plural? Have you clicked on multiple links? On the
Applications tab of Task Manager, what does it say under "Tasks"? Under
Status, does it say "Running" alongside each one? Or "Not Responding"? Or
something else?

When we have a clear picture of the situation at this point, we (perhaps not
me, but some real guru) should be able to give you some helpful advice.

Your computer's problem may have nothing to do with SP2, but just
coincidentally happened at the same time. However, the main point of SP2 is
enhanced security. Perhaps WinXP with SP2 now detects risks in those links
you are trying to reach.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Jenks.
>>
>> What make and model computer (or motherboard/CPU/chipset if you built it
>> yourself)?
> No, did not built myself,
> Intel Pentium 4, 1.8 GHZ, Intel 4 M/B, SL-2000, 512 RD RAM
>>
>> Please define "freezing" in this case.
> example. -- if on Word, and go to read my emails and open an email and
> try
> to open a link everything gets stuck, so that the only way to get out of
> it
> is to go to task manager and delete all as they appear to be running. The
> hour glass is on for ever...
>
> Does the mouse still work? The
>> keyboard?
> Mouse and keyboard are o.k.
> Does the computer reboot? It was not rebooting on Sunday night, but it
> has
> cleared since, and it seems o.k.
>>
>> How did you install SP2? From Automatic Updates? yes, from Automatic
>> Update.
>
> Manual download and
>> update? Microsoft SP2 update CD-ROM?
>>
>> You can see your computer. We can't. All we know is what you tell us
>> and,
>> so far, that isn't much. Your first message mentioned "freezing", the
>> second says "very slow", and both mention printer problems. None of that
>> information gives us much to go on to make a diagnosis.
> Sorry, never quite know what I should cover. Freezing, is defined above.
> It is slow because it is slugging going from one window to the other. I
> suppose I have had it for four years and know it is not working as usual.
>>
>> Did you read the information that Will pointed out to you?
> Yes I did. I also read the other suggestions and deleted
> Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Dowload but not the other one mentioned -
> C:\Windows\$NTservicePack Uninstall, as I did not quite understand what
> was
> being covered and said. I am getting very very confused.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Jenks" <Jenks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 7E8F5DD-8F97-46EF-BF62-44922ACE14F9@microsoft.com...
>> > No, did not receive any error messages . My computer is very slow, it
>> > freezes and I cannot use my printer and cannot do some other tasks. It
>> > just
>> > isn't running property.

October 22, 2004 1:45:03 AM

Well, decided to get a technician who after three hours of searching found
out that the trouble was that my Canon MCP198 printer did not like SP2. So,
now at long last, things are back to normal after installing a patch from
Canon. It would have been nice if Canon had advised me.
Thanks for your help.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> You can see your computer. We can't. All we know is what you tell us
> >> and,
> >> so far, that isn't much. Your first message mentioned "freezing", the
> >> second says "very slow", and both mention printer problems. None of that
> >> information gives us much to go on to make a diagnosis.
> > Sorry, never quite know what I should cover. Freezing, is defined above.
> > It is slow because it is slugging going from one window to the other. I
> > suppose I have had it for four years and know it is not working as usual.
> >>
> >> Did you read the information that Will pointed out to you?
> > Yes I did. I also read the other suggestions and deleted
> > Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Dowload but not the other one mentioned -
> > C:\Windows\$NTservicePack Uninstall, as I did not quite understand what
> > was
> > being covered and said. I am getting very very confused.

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:49:09 AM

Hi, Jenks.

You're welcome. And thanks for reporting back the actual source of the
problem - and the resolution. That report should help others with that
model printer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA