berone

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003

I have 4 DNS servers and 4 DHCP servers issuing different
IP Address scopes.

I noticed that I have PCs that were not switch on for
weeks, and when they are switch on the IP address from the
PC using ipconfig /all is different from that on some of
the the DNS server. However the DHCP servers seem to be
updating its IP address correctly.

What settings must I have on the DHCP and or DNS for it to
dynamically update the DNS server

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:03:16 -0700, Berone wrote:

> I have 4 DNS servers and 4 DHCP servers issuing different
> IP Address scopes.
>
> I noticed that I have PCs that were not switch on for
> weeks, and when they are switch on the IP address from the
> PC using ipconfig /all is different from that on some of
> the the DNS server. However the DHCP servers seem to be
> updating its IP address correctly.
>
> What settings must I have on the DHCP and or DNS for it to
> dynamically update the DNS server
setting in Properties for DHCP server, DNS Tab, "Enable
Dynamic DNS Updates", select it...

In news:04c101c48b29$ff045310$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Berone <berone1@hotmail.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have 4 DNS servers and 4 DHCP servers issuing different
> IP Address scopes.
>
> I noticed that I have PCs that were not switch on for
> weeks, and when they are switch on the IP address from the
> PC using ipconfig /all is different from that on some of
> the the DNS server. However the DHCP servers seem to be
> updating its IP address correctly.
>
> What settings must I have on the DHCP and or DNS for it to
> dynamically update the DNS server

If update DNS is enabled on the DNS tab of the scope properties *or* on the
DHCP server properties, *and* you have option 015 configured with the domain
name, *and* that zone exists in the DNS server listed in TCP/IP properties
of the machine DHCP is on, *plus* on Wink2 clients TCP/IP properties DNS tab
you have selected "Register this connection's addresses in DNS", DHCP *will*
update DNS.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]