Event ID: 7050

I get this error message in event viewer for my DNS. [The
DNS server recv() function failed. The event data contains
the error.] I am running Win/2000 server with active
directory and only one forward lookup zone. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mary

I got the same thing this afternoon. One 7050 error on
each of my 8 DNS servers in 3 domains (parent + 2 child
domains) this afternoon. The error came only once on each
server - but all within 5 minutes. DNS seems to be working
ok - ran netdiag and dcdiag. Any info would really help.

In news:1c8b01c48caa$53f10590$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Mary <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> I got the same thing this afternoon. One 7050 error on
> each of my 8 DNS servers in 3 domains (parent + 2 child
> domains) this afternoon. The error came only once on each
> server - but all within 5 minutes. DNS seems to be working
> ok - ran netdiag and dcdiag. Any info would really help.

Seems to be a rare issue that a DNS probe would cause:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7050&eventno=4151&source=DNS&phase=1

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

joan

Hi Ace,

I think that was my post at EventID, matches what I submitted. We've gotten
a few more 7050 errors that was not my co-worker doing a port probe -- the
new 7050 events happened at about 2:30 am and 3:30 am est 6 days apart on
all four DNS servers (two are AD empty root, two are AD child) at HQ.
Interestingly, too, even though all 4 servers in same switch, our 2 AD Root
servers also reported 7050 on two other days at 11 am and 2 pm respectively,
whereas the child servers did not. The 11 am and 2pm I can possibly see as
port probes (most of HQ is software engineers), but 2:30 am and 3:30 am?

None of the DNS servers are public, all internal and AD structure hidden
from Internet. DNS looks fine, no one is having problems, no other errors
(System, Application, Directory Service, NTFS, Security logs).

I still think first occurance was port probe, too much coincidence that 7050
occurred on every DNS server exactly when port probe done. But I'm back to
investigating cause of newest 7050s, if same cause or not. Did a Google
search, saw this thread and thought I'd post the additional info. Still
investigating.

No need to reply.

Regards,
Joan

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23oLyYOKkEHA.2668@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In news:1c8b01c48caa$53f10590$a301280a@phx.gbl,
> Mary <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
> below
> > I got the same thing this afternoon. One 7050 error on
> > each of my 8 DNS servers in 3 domains (parent + 2 child
> > domains) this afternoon. The error came only once on each
> > server - but all within 5 minutes. DNS seems to be working
> > ok - ran netdiag and dcdiag. Any info would really help.
>

> Seems to be a rare issue that a DNS probe would cause:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7050&eventno=4151&source=DNS&phase=1

> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

In news:%23SjBu9PkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Joan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Hi Ace,
>
> I think that was my post at EventID, matches what I submitted. We've
> gotten a few more 7050 errors that was not my co-worker doing a port
> probe -- the new 7050 events happened at about 2:30 am and 3:30 am
> est 6 days apart on all four DNS servers (two are AD empty root, two
> are AD child) at HQ. Interestingly, too, even though all 4 servers in
> same switch, our 2 AD Root servers also reported 7050 on two other
> days at 11 am and 2 pm respectively, whereas the child servers did
> not. The 11 am and 2pm I can possibly see as port probes (most of HQ
> is software engineers), but 2:30 am and 3:30 am?
>
> None of the DNS servers are public, all internal and AD structure
> hidden from Internet. DNS looks fine, no one is having problems, no
> other errors (System, Application, Directory Service, NTFS, Security
> logs).
>
> I still think first occurance was port probe, too much coincidence
> that 7050 occurred on every DNS server exactly when port probe done.
> But I'm back to investigating cause of newest 7050s, if same cause or
> not. Did a Google search, saw this thread and thought I'd post the
> additional info. Still investigating.
>
> No need to reply.
>
> Regards,
> Joan

Hmm, at a lost, because this is a new one and there's little on it.
According to this article:
http://www.oriweb.com/updateip.htm
It has something to do with dynamic updates. Maybe those are the times that
the netlogon service from a particular DC is trying to update into DNS.

And another link I found, someone mentions it maybe a Winsock driver based
error.
http://www.mail-archive.com/imail_forum@list.ipswitch.com/msg89439.html

Now, if you isolate the machine that is trying the updates (netmon? retina?)
and take a look at the NIC conifig, drivers, etc, maybe that can be a start?
Determine if any DCs or DNS servers have mulitple NICs, or teamed NICs, etc,
for a start as well. Another link mentions the 'birthday' attack against
BIND servers. But doesn't seem likely in your case, since its MS DNS.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:%23SjBu9PkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Joan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Ace,
>
> I think that was my post at EventID, matches what I
> submitted. We've gotten a few more 7050 errors that was
> not my co-worker doing a port probe -- the new 7050
> events happened at about 2:30 am and 3:30 am est 6 days
> apart on all four DNS servers (two are AD empty root, two
> are AD child) at HQ. Interestingly, too, even though all
> 4 servers in same switch, our 2 AD Root servers also
> reported 7050 on two other days at 11 am and 2 pm
> respectively, whereas the child servers did not. The 11
> am and 2pm I can possibly see as port probes (most of HQ
> is software engineers), but 2:30 am and 3:30 am?
>
> None of the DNS servers are public, all internal and AD
> structure hidden from Internet. DNS looks fine, no one is
> having problems, no other errors (System, Application,
> Directory Service, NTFS, Security logs).
>
> I still think first occurance was port probe, too much
> coincidence that 7050 occurred on every DNS server
> exactly when port probe done. But I'm back to
> investigating cause of newest 7050s, if same cause or
> not. Did a Google search, saw this thread and thought I'd
> post the additional info. Still investigating.

Are you using the Advanced logging features? (Advanced tab)

Under higher load DNS will log 7050 events with Advanced logging enabled.
Advanced logging adds considerable load to DNS to write the log. When the
load gets to a certain point DNS just cannot write the log and answer
queries. DNS can handle thousands of queries a minute as long as it doesn't
have to write a log. If it has to write a log, it slows DNS down way too
much. There was a poster with this event just yesterday, he had advanced
logging turned on, he turned off the logging and it resolved the issue.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:eACpzMXkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
commented below
> Are you using the Advanced logging features? (Advanced tab)
>
> Under higher load DNS will log 7050 events with Advanced logging
> enabled. Advanced logging adds considerable load to DNS to write the
> log. When the load gets to a certain point DNS just cannot write the
> log and answer queries. DNS can handle thousands of queries a minute
> as long as it doesn't have to write a log. If it has to write a log,
> it slows DNS down way too much. There was a poster with this event
> just yesterday, he had advanced logging turned on, he turned off the
> logging and it resolved the issue.

Curious Kevin, where is that other post? I tried to search on 7050, but no
luck.

Thanks!

Ace

In news:uHBI4hXkEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Curious Kevin, where is that other post? I tried to
> search on 7050, but no luck.

It is in the windows.server.dns group under this subject line:
Windows 2003 DNS forwarder suddenly doesn't work anymore

--

In news:eDVn96akEHA.3724@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
commented below
> It is in the windows.server.dns group under this subject line:
> Windows 2003 DNS forwarder suddenly doesn't work anymore

Thanks. I couldn't find it searching the message because I haven't read the
thread yet, so the messages were never downloaded.

Interesting how advanced logging would do that and mimic a probe.

Ace

joan

Hi Ace, Kevin,

Just found your replies, thanks for info! Will investigate accordingly.

message news:uCYgj8bkEHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

In news:eEPpIeQlEHA.2884@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Joan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Hi Ace, Kevin,
>
> Just found your replies, thanks for info! Will investigate
> accordingly.
>
> Regards,
> Joan

Please let us know if it helped.

Ace

I am also having the same problem.... Any answers yet? I am trying to
use Terminal Services....Everyone can log in.... But the remote
control will Not work -- including the SHADOW Command.

Thanks
Angela

--
shotz11111

I am also having the same problem.... Any answers yet? I am trying to
use Terminal Services....Everyone can log in.... But the remote
control will Not work -- including the SHADOW Command.

Thanks
Angela

--
shotz11111

In news:shotz11111.1dohcd@mail.mcse.ms,
shotz11111 <shotz11111.1dohcd@mail.mcse.ms> made a post then I commented
below
> I am also having the same problem.... Any answers yet? I am trying to
> use Terminal Services....Everyone can log in.... But the remote
> control will Not work -- including the SHADOW Command.
>
> Thanks
> Angela

Shdow command has nothing to do with DNS. Both users need to be in a session
in order to use remote control (shadow a session). You cannot do it from the
console session.