"More Athlon X2 EE reviews"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
In a proper configured system, the "ADD" processor draws approximately 8W through the VRM, which translates into roughly 6.5 W actual processor power and sets a new record for low power consumption. Also, the "ADO" 4600+ is extremely power efficient and comes in at 11.2 W measured before the VRM. Suffice it to say that the two processors fit exactly into our calculated power relation, that is: 8W * 1.4 = 11.2W.

Originally we were a bit stunned by the fact that the E6300 does not show any power reduction compared to its faster brethrens, however, after factoring in all parameters as explained two pages ago, the results appear to be right on target as well.

...With ~25W, the "ADD" 3800+ once again sets new records in power efficiency. Likewise, the 4600+ "ADO" processor sits at 44 W very comfortably within the margins defined by the "Energy- Efficient" specs. The theoretical 1.67 x increase from the 3800+ to the 4600+ would come out to 42W, which is once again very close to the measured numbers. The E6300 Core 2 Duo holds its own at 53.6W under full load but overall, it is no danger to the new AMD CPUs.

I have to wonder why there are idiots who still believe that Yonah is cooler and "better" than Turion. :roll:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/low_e/5.shtml

The obtained results indicate that the new low-cost AMD processor that has already started selling turned out a very attractive solution. Although Athlon 64 X2 3600+ features half the L2 cache compared with the “fully-fledged” dual-core Athlon 64 X2 CPUs and hence can be regarded as a “dual-core Sempron” at some point, its performance didn’t suffer that much. In the worst case, Athlon 64 X2 3600+ is no more than 5% behind the 3800+ model with the same nominal clock speed of 2GHz. And in fact, there are very few applications like that. In other words, Athlon 64 X2 3600+ offers very decent performance, especially keeping in mind that it is less expensive than the 3800+ model.

If we compare the performance of our hero against Intel Pentium D 915, which will most likely be its primary competitor from the pricing standpoint, the AMD solution turns out a definite winner. Just like before, the new AMD processor on K8 microarchitecture outperforms the competitor built on NetBurst. Even the recent price wars didn’t change anything, and the recently announced Core 2 Duo processors are still in a different price category.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3600_11.html

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
In a proper configured system, the "ADD" processor draws approximately 8W through the VRM, which translates into roughly 6.5 W actual processor power and sets a new record for low power consumption. Also, the "ADO" 4600+ is extremely power efficient and comes in at 11.2 W measured before the VRM. Suffice it to say that the two processors fit exactly into our calculated power relation, that is: 8W * 1.4 = 11.2W.

Originally we were a bit stunned by the fact that the E6300 does not show any power reduction compared to its faster brethrens, however, after factoring in all parameters as explained two pages ago, the results appear to be right on target as well.

...With ~25W, the "ADD" 3800+ once again sets new records in power efficiency. Likewise, the 4600+ "ADO" processor sits at 44 W very comfortably within the margins defined by the "Energy- Efficient" specs. The theoretical 1.67 x increase from the 3800+ to the 4600+ would come out to 42W, which is once again very close to the measured numbers. The E6300 Core 2 Duo holds its own at 53.6W under full load but overall, it is no danger to the new AMD CPUs.

I have to wonder why there are idiots who still believe that Yonah is cooler and "better" than Turion. :roll:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/low_e/5.shtml

The obtained results indicate that the new low-cost AMD processor that has already started selling turned out a very attractive solution. Although Athlon 64 X2 3600+ features half the L2 cache compared with the “fully-fledged” dual-core Athlon 64 X2 CPUs and hence can be regarded as a “dual-core Sempron” at some point, its performance didn’t suffer that much. In the worst case, Athlon 64 X2 3600+ is no more than 5% behind the 3800+ model with the same nominal clock speed of 2GHz. And in fact, there are very few applications like that. In other words, Athlon 64 X2 3600+ offers very decent performance, especially keeping in mind that it is less expensive than the 3800+ model.

If we compare the performance of our hero against Intel Pentium D 915, which will most likely be its primary competitor from the pricing standpoint, the AMD solution turns out a definite winner. Just like before, the new AMD processor on K8 microarchitecture outperforms the competitor built on NetBurst. Even the recent price wars didn’t change anything, and the recently announced Core 2 Duo processors are still in a different price category.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-3600_11.html

Excellent news

Now the horde can cry "we're not as fast as Core 2, but at least it takes us less power to be slower".

Definitely good for those people who are interesting in creating a silent or very quiet PC. Good for an HTPC where you don't want to here the whirl of fans while watching a movie or listening to music. With the Antec Phantom 350, a passively cooled motherboards, passively cooled GPU and a silent CPU cooling solution the Athlon X2 EE has the making a silent PC when the hard drives and DVD drive are not being accessed.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Excellent news

Now the horde can cry "we're not as fast as Core 2, but at least it takes us less power to be slower".

No, what it says it that AMD knows that anything above K8 at 2.2GHz is overkill (we'll see when Vista comes) and since they set the standard they have been working to keep power down for their next iterations.

I have already noted that Turion X2 KILLS Yonah and probably Merom in suspend power. It was running at about ~1W during S3. That is amazing. It means that you can put a notebook in standy without power for A LONG TIME!!!

Go AMD!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Excellent news

No, what it says it that AMD knows that anything above K8 at 2.2GHz is overkill (we'll see when Vista comes) and since they set the standard they have been working to keep power down for their next iterations.

I have already noted that Turion X2 KILLS Yonah and probably Merom in suspend power. It was running at about ~1W during S3. That is amazing. It means that you can put a notebook in standy without power for A LONG TIME!!!

Go AMD!

Unimpressive....

Another official announcement was the note of a new ultra low voltage Intel Core Duo processor, which the company claims will consume just about 0.75 watts on average "while still delivering high-performing computing power." Sources told TG daily that this new processor will be named Core Duo U2500, has a clock speed of 1.06 GHz and uses 2 MB L2 cache and a 533 MHz FSB. The chip will be priced at $289 at launch sometime this summer.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/06/intel_p065_announced/
http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/mt/archives/2006/06/intel_sneak_pea.php

And Yonah kicks the crap out Turion as all the data shows. You just stick consistently to the "amd is better conclusion" irregardless of the facts.

Intel is also shipping a 9 Watt yonah
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3380

That would be an interesting bench, unfortunately AMD doesn't have a product in that regime.

Reposted without permission

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I have already noted that Turion X2 KILLS Yonah and probably Merom in suspend power.

According to the AMD forums:
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t80459.html

"S3 - "Suspend to RAM"
All power to the cpu is shut off, and the contents of its registers are flushed to RAM, which remains on.

STFU, fanboi. The CPU has nothing to do with power consumption in C3.

It's S, not C.

S1/S2/S3/S4

S1 turns off the fewest things. S2 turns off a few more(not really used), S3 is full standby and S4 is Hibernate.

talk to MS about it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I have already noted that Turion X2 KILLS Yonah and probably Merom in suspend power.

According to the AMD forums:
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t80459.html

"S3 - "Suspend to RAM"
All power to the cpu is shut off, and the contents of its registers are flushed to RAM, which remains on.

STFU, fanboi. The CPU has nothing to do with power consumption in C3.

It's S, not C.

S1/S2/S3/S4

S1 turns off the fewest things. S2 turns off a few more(not really used), S3 is full standby and S4 is Hibernate.

talk to MS about it.

C3 is a deep sleep processor state based on the ACPI standards....

Intel holds a patent on entering this state http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6704880.html

It is defined in the ACPI spec here:
http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec30.pdf

and finally, to correct Baron, S1, S2, and S3 are system level states the C3 state is the CPU or Core state.

Evilroot -- while you may have mistyped, but even with your typo you were in fact not incorrect, alas, it is again Baron that is wrong -- which is common.

Jack

Well, thanks for your "correction." The entire power is conrrolled by the S3 state. Of course can't turn of the processor entirely or you woul dflush the registers. The specs for Turion X2 show a superior S3 power usage curve to Yonah. I didn't recognize your links and don't care to look.

It has been a long time since I've thought about power states. I don't apologize for stating what I stated no matter what you say.

I was commenting on the power ratings from some website that wasn't the Inq.

I'm sure you enjoy trying to apply your "yoke" but fear not you can <fill in the rest>. I'm about to start........

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
In a proper configured system, the "ADD" processor draws approximately 8W through the VRM, which translates into roughly 6.5 W actual processor power and sets a new record for low power consumption
Now we know why it's so slow....ADD.(attention-deficit disorder). :wink:

PS. I hope it comes with Ritalin.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Of course can't turn of the processor entirely or you woul dflush the registers.

I hate reposting what I wrote before, but here it is to catch your attention:
"S3 - "Suspend to RAM"
The CPU is not powered.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
In a proper configured system, the "ADD" processor draws approximately 8W through the VRM, which translates into roughly 6.5 W actual processor power and sets a new record for low power consumption
Now we know why it's so slow....ADD.(attention-deficit disorder). :wink:

PS. I hope it comes with Ritalin.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tanker,

That was so friggin funny it made my horse laugh

Peace

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I don't give a crap about S1, S2, S3...I didn't buy a laptop to watch it go into sleep mode.

waiting for someone to point that out.

idle power usage is one thing, but power consumption under load is far and away more important. I'd rather have a yonah giving me better power consumption as I use the laptop than a turion giving me better battery consumption when I'm not.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004

Link Sir BS?

Amusing, so anything over 2.2 is overkill but everyone needs a K8L?

Yeah you're not an AMD fanboy.