windows XP startup is VERY slow

Hi,
Have just installed XP prof EdN on a new HD in my laptop and startup takes
about 2-3mins!
Any help appreciated!
Matt

Lots of things can contribute to a "slow" startup. A slow hard drive, for
one. If your laptop is older, it may have a 5400 rpm hard drive, and the
drive may be rather small. RAM is another issue that can contribute to slow
start ups. 512 MB would be the minimum I would suggest when running any
version of Windows XP. Programs that run at start up are one of the major
causes of extended start up times. Stop anything you don't absolutely need
to run at start up. Stuff like Real Player and Microsoft Office Assistant
don't need to be running at start up.

"urbancowboyblues" <urbancowboyblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:64BD32E0-7F5B-4DA0-84DA-1711734FE96C@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Have just installed XP prof EdN on a new HD in my laptop and startup takes
> about 2-3mins!
> Any help appreciated!
> Matt

I recommend that you defragment the drive (Start>All
Programs>Accessories>System Tools select Disk Defragmenter. Installations
leave the hard drive moderately to heavily fragmented.
--
What's another word for synonym?

"urbancowboyblues" <urbancowboyblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:64BD32E0-7F5B-4DA0-84DA-1711734FE96C@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Have just installed XP prof EdN on a new HD in my laptop and startup takes
> about 2-3mins!
> Any help appreciated!
> Matt

In news:64BD32E0-7F5B-4DA0-84DA-1711734FE96C@microsoft.com,
urbancowboyblues <urbancowboyblues@discussions.microsoft.com>
typed:

> Have just installed XP prof EdN on a new HD in my laptop and
> startup
> takes about 2-3mins!
> Any help appreciated!

Others have given you information on addressing the problem, but
I wanted to add another thought:

Assuming that the speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be
worth worrying about. Most people start their computers once a
day or even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things,
even a few minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I
power on my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my
coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how
long it took to boot and I don't care.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi, Matt.

What part of the startup is slow? How long does it take to get to the WinXP
splash screen? How much longer to the Desktop? How long to populate the
Desktop and SysTray with icons?

If the delay is before WinXP even starts to load, then it must be a hardware
problem, not a Windows problem. You can see your computer, but we can't.
All we know is what you tell us. So please post back with a step-by-step
description of what happens from the time you power on until WinXP is ready
for use.

Also, it might help if you mention the make and model of your laptop. Also,
tell us more about your "new HD" and how you installed WinXP on it. Laptops
almost always come with a proprietary OEM version of Windows and there often
are "tricks of the trade" that apply only to that particular make or model;
if you tell us those, someone here just might recognize it and know which
tricks apply.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA