Sign in with
Your question

Does P5w dh deluxe support future multicores?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Core
  • Support
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 15, 2006 1:36:52 AM

Hi, will the P5w dh deluxe be able to support future multicores? (more than dualcores), or that is not possible? I read i think on asus's site that it will, and on some etailers site's as well, but others do only state cpu's up to core 2 duo, others dont even state core 2 duo (i guess those ones are honest that conroes were not supported "out of the box"

Thx for all replies.

More about : p5w deluxe support future multicores

August 15, 2006 3:47:04 AM

its not possible to speculate on hardware that doesn't exist yet. Always buy for the now if a future product can be used with old hardware you should consider that a bonus.
August 15, 2006 3:31:33 PM

i prefare to "be prepared" in a way :wink: , and it is posible to "speculate", that is asus states (and other sites as well): "Support intel 65nm, Core 2 duo, and core 2 duo extreme,Support Intel next generation Multi-Core CPU" as well as all the oldie pentiums.
so does this mean that the multicore kensfield will work on this mobo (i imagine a bios update will be required), i m looking for a mobo that will suport some of intel "next gen" cpus (the ones coming out after core 2 duo, or beter core 2 duo's)will work on this mobo, or will the not announced yet "Premium" mobo have these features? as asus usualy has the regular version , deluxe one , and the premium ones.

thx
Related resources
August 16, 2006 12:49:25 AM

Quote:
i prefare to "be prepared" in a way :wink: , and it is posible to "speculate", that is asus states (and other sites as well): "Support intel 65nm, Core 2 duo, and core 2 duo extreme,Support Intel next generation Multi-Core CPU" as well as all the oldie pentiums.
so does this mean that the multicore kensfield will work on this mobo (i imagine a bios update will be required), i m looking for a mobo that will suport some of intel "next gen" cpus (the ones coming out after core 2 duo, or beter core 2 duo's)will work on this mobo, or will the not announced yet "Premium" mobo have these features? as asus usualy has the regular version , deluxe one , and the premium ones.

thx

Depends what Asus' definition of next generation multi core CPU's is.

A couple of months ago Core 2 Duo was the next generation multi core CPU. Perhaps they're talking about Kentsfield and perhaps they're talking about Core 2 Duo.

Oh and no it's not possible to speculate about hardware that's not released yet.
August 16, 2006 1:17:13 AM

it mentiones the core 2 dou , and the core 2 duo extreme as one of the cpu's thats supported, and underneeth it states as the other supported cpu the "next generation multicores" so i guess at the very least least the kentsfields will be supported
August 16, 2006 1:20:48 AM

Quote:
it mentiones the core 2 dou , and the core 2 duo extreme as one of the cpu's thats supported, and underneeth it states as the other supported cpu the "next generation multicores" so i guess at the very least least the kentsfields will be supported

Why are you asking this question on a forum when you seem to have already made your mind up about it? :roll:
August 16, 2006 2:10:55 AM

lol because im thinking about ordering parts for my build the latest this weekend, and maby someone would say "nop only the presently available conroes will work on it, but there is this ..... and that might support other cpu's" thats what happened with my question abotu the gpu, i wanted the cheepest pcixpress gpu so it would last me till the dx10 cards coume out i was set on getign the 1300aiw or 1600 series cards but someone mentioned the x850 series that beats the *blip* out of the 1600 series cards, and i have not even considered those(just forgot about those) and now ill be geting the x850 card instead of the "weaker" 1600 series gpu's so i learned its sometimes beter to ask and learn than just blindly go for what one wanted and pay the penaties of the mistakes. thats why i was curious also why some people prefare the p5b deluxe series oposed to the p5w dh deluxe ones, but i still didnt get much of a response besides: "it was teh first one to suport conroes so i bought it", and "it was cheaper". I thought that maby there was some "hidden" reason that i did not know of, that maby the p965 (or whatever the chipset is named) has some advantage over the "oldie" x775.
August 16, 2006 2:22:32 AM

Quote:

Could just mean the next few dual-cores. Leaving themselves plenty of wiggle room.
Synergy6
August 16, 2006 2:24:06 AM

Quote:
lol because im thinking about ordering parts for my build the latest this weekend, and maby someone would say "nop only the presently available conroes will work on it, but there is this ..... and that might support other cpu's"

Ask someone who owns a retail version of a Kentsfield processor.

Or in other words no one knows yet........
August 16, 2006 12:33:07 PM

Quote:
Besides a BIOS update, it will run Kentsfield out of box even without updated BIOS.
Based on info collected from MSI's 975X.

Did Toms and various other websites not report that all 975 chipset boards would support Core 2 Duo? I'm not saying that yourself or MSI are wrong (not that it was a chipset problem as such and that it was a VRM issue) but people have been wrong in the past. I still like to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like this :) 
August 16, 2006 1:32:24 PM

Quote:
Besides a BIOS update, it will run Kentsfield out of box even without updated BIOS.

Did Toms and various other websites not report that all 975 chipset boards would support Core 2 Duo? I'm not saying that yourself or MSI are wrong (not that it was a chipset problem as such and that it was a VRM issue) but people have been wrong in the past. I still like to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like this :) 
Asus P5WD2-E Premium still supports Conroe/Allendale, but for marketing purpose ASUS never released the BIOS for P5WD2-E w/ Conroe microcode. [/obviously]
A LN2 cooled Conroe that screams for high voltage will still go better with P5WD2-E Premium.

Quote:

A native Conroe supporting one I meant.

On the other hand Gigabyte themselve has already confirmed 965P-DQ6 will support Kentsfield.

True :) 

TBH I'm not bothered if I buy a motherboard and it doesn't support the next generation or two of CPU's. The vast majority of people won't upgrade their CPU within the lifetime of their PC. Plus...... buying another CPU and throwing (or giving away) your current one is a very uneconomical way of upgrading and if you can afford that you can probably afford to buy a whole new mobo anyway. I'm aiming to buy an 6600 in the next 6 months. If I'm going to upgrade it within 2 years it will be to add more RAM or a better GPU rather than a CPU.

I prefer the wording of the Gigabyte statement. It says it will support Kentsfield. That's something that's binding.... unlike the wording on the Asus board.
August 16, 2006 1:56:40 PM

in regards to upgrading i think it it is more economical to just get/replace the cpu having a good(relatively "futureproof"mobo) than replace the cpu and the mobo, and in the future the ram which will be ddr3 (Q2 of 2007),
and i agrie that Gigabyte's statement is much more precise, btw i was just looking at teh chipset the one gigabyte states that will suport Kentsfield its teh 965P isnt it?, so maby getign the P5B Deluxe is beter, that is if im not mistaken thats the main difference betwean the p5w dh deluxe that it is based on the "old" 775 and the p5b is based on the "new" "specially"designed for core 2 duo's cpu, so if the chip is the one that is new(er) it should "last" longer.
!