internal DNS question

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Hello all. Hoping someone can assist me.

For our domain, we have the root and our domain name zone
setup. Certain users need to have internet access but
cannot gain it via the main dns server due to . zone. I
installed another win2k server, setup dns on it and
configured it as a secondary. I am transferring the
internal zone over to the secondary and setup forwarding
to my ISP's dns server. This solution works, only
partially. When users have the secondary dns server and
the primary in their ipconfig, no internet. When only the
secondary is included, internet works fine but local
resolution does not. When internal is only setup, no
internet.

Any suggestions?

You need to delete the "." zone. Then add forwarders to your ISP's DNS
server. All your clients need to point to your internal DNS server for DNS.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. Hoping someone can assist me.
>
> For our domain, we have the root and our domain name zone
> setup. Certain users need to have internet access but
> cannot gain it via the main dns server due to . zone. I
> installed another win2k server, setup dns on it and
> configured it as a secondary. I am transferring the
> internal zone over to the secondary and setup forwarding
> to my ISP's dns server. This solution works, only
> partially. When users have the secondary dns server and
> the primary in their ipconfig, no internet. When only the
> secondary is included, internet works fine but local
> resolution does not. When internal is only setup, no
> internet.
>
> Any suggestions?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Yes, I could do that but only 'select' people are to have
internet access. Deleting the . zone would give everyone
access.

How are you setting up forwarders with "." there??? You should not DNS to
restrict Interenet access. You should be using your firewall. An easy way is
just to not give those computers a default gateway and then they won't get
to the internet.

--

> Yes, I could do that but only 'select' people are to have
> internet access. Deleting the . zone would give everyone
> access.

In news:O6FBWfGjEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Scott Harding - MS MVP <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> made a post then I
commented below
> How are you setting up forwarders with "." there??? You should not
> DNS to restrict Interenet access. You should be using your firewall.
> An easy way is just to not give those computers a default gateway and
> then they won't get to the internet.

Or just to add, some sort of Proxy (ISA, Wingate, Sygate, SurfControl, etc).

Or even by using a fake proxy address for IE in a GPO just for those user
accounts.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:007b01c48c58$bde83920$a401280a@phx.gbl,
brian <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Yes, I could do that but only 'select' people are to have
> internet access. Deleting the . zone would give everyone
> access.

Set up a Group Policy Object for users you want to restrict from having
internet access in the user configuration, Windows Settings, in Internet
Explorer Maintenance, Connection settings put in a fake proxy address, you
can even allow the users to use Windows updates by adding
*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com and *.windowsupdate.com to the bypass proxy
list.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]