Double bonuses?

I just loaded up a character I hadn't used in a while. Since the last time
I played her, I'd added several mods, but very few of them had any direct
effect on the character. (Most involve new areas or new items which you
have to go somewhere to find, etc.) Anyhow, one mod did effect her. The
first and most obvious thing I noticed was that she was completely naked
when I loaded the game. (Nothing was missing, her armor was all there, she
just wasn't wearing it.) Okay, so no biggie, I just re-equipped everything.
Then I noticed that one item was still equipped, and it was the Daedric
Crescent. Only it wasn't the regular Daedric Crescent. It was a
throwing-version of it, which I assume was added by the Marksman mod. The
standard melee one was still in her inventory, and my other standard one (I
used the Recall trick to get a second one) is being held by my faithful
companion, Hilda. And I have 2 throwing ones now as well. Okay, cool,
whatever. (Though that's probably the reason she ended up naked when I
loaded.) The problem is now, she's incredibly fast. I mean, too fast. I
looked, and her speed is listed as 468!! Apparently, when the game stripped
off her gear, it did not remove the +200 speed bonus from the Boots of
Blinding Speed she was wearing, and when I put the boots back on, she got
the bonus TWICE. Thing is, I can't make the first bonus go away. I take
the boots off, and there's still a +200 speed bonus listed. Saving and
reloading does no good, the bonus won't go away. I even cast Dispel on
myself, to no avail. 468 speed is just WAY too fast. I have trouble
getting through doorways, as one step takes me halfway across the room. I
have to walk instead of running in order to have any kind of control. I
suppose I could just not wear the boots and put on something else, but I
dislike cheating, which this clearly is. I assume there's some console
command I can use to remove the extra bonus?

First try: Remove the enchantment spell.
player->removespell "blinding speed"

If that doesn't help, second try: Remove the spell effect.
player->RemoveEffects 79 (79 = fortify attribute effect)
player->RemoveEffects 47 (47 = blind effect)

If that doesn't help, go the brute-force approach:
player->setspeed 60 (or whatever your old speed was)

General hint, though you meanwhile figured it out as well by experience:
When adding mods, remove enchanted stuff first, turn off MTT foci and
iounstones, and whatever other stuff might be activated. Not really
needed for something like a house mod, of course.

> General hint, though you meanwhile figured it out as well by experience:
> When adding mods, remove enchanted stuff first, turn off MTT foci and
> iounstones, and whatever other stuff might be activated. Not really
> needed for something like a house mod, of course.

Yeah, I kinda guessed that already. This was a character that I didn't
necessarily expect to play again, so I didn't go through that stuff. (Part
of the reason I'm playing her now is that some of these new mods might make
things interesting for her again...)

Mods are the best thing since sliced bread. I guess I wouldn't be playing
Morrowind anymore if there were no mods. I'm pretty sure Bethedsa has
noticed how important mods are to keep a game alive, and hope this will
reflect in the quality of modding tools for Oblivion.

Anyways... when I install a new mod, I *ALWAYS* make a backup savegame
before I install the mod. So if anything messes up, I revert to that
savegame. Uninstalling mods is mostly a bad idea, unless it's relatively
simple like adding only cells (house mods, etc.)
When I install mods which appear to do some more complex changes (Readme
files usually state what mods do), I go through the procedure of "preparing"
for mod installation: Turn off any enchantments and other stuff, then backup
savegame.
In worst case, if a mod modifies the weight of items, you'd need to drop
everything you carry, otherwise your encumberance will be wrong. Those mods
I usually leave alone until I start a new character and then install them
before char creation.

Then, merge levelled lists and objects with TESTool. Check all mods prior to
installation in TESTool and clean them if necessary UNLESS the author wrote
in the Readme file not to clean them in TESTool.
If you install new mods, check if they modify levelled lists and in case
merge them again.
There are other tools than TESTool, which might be better or not. TESTool
has worked for me so far, so I see no reason to change.

Finally, I never uninstall mods. If I dont like one, I go back to that
savegame I made before installing it. If that savegame is too long ago, I
keep the mod installed but just not use it.
I also never modify running mods. If I need to fix a bug in a mod, I do that
in a new .esp.

Just some simple rules to avoid most of mod issues like doubling, messed
encumberance etc.