Sign in with
Your question
Closed

LCD Monitor Vs LCD HD TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2006 2:58:24 AM

hello yall.

i am building a new comp and its based around the radeon 1900xtx card so dont worry bout graphics power. I am wondering which of these is better. i hope to know the advantages and disadvanteges of these if you could tell me. Here are the choices im thinking of buying

LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

or

LCD HD TV
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1688...

I want pretty good quality but keep in mind i like things big now a question i have on the LCD HD TV monitor is how good of a resolution will it be and will i have ghosting or any crazy ass problem for a game like BF2

More about : lcd monitor lcd

August 15, 2006 3:19:04 AM

a big problem with the LCD TV, no DVI, VGA or HDMI interface. So don't buy it, if you want a TV look for one that has the above interfaces and don't forget HDCP for HD-DVD's (or bluecrap). :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 19, 2006 8:10:41 AM

The Acer LCD monitor has not builtin TV tuner and is 8" shorter in width than the 32" Olevia TV.

By the way, the 32" Olevia has both DVI and VGA connectors, contrary to the other poster. Of course, this Olevia has an builtin analog NSTC tuner.

The 37" Olevia has both an analog NSTC tuner and a digital ASTC tuner for picking up standard local TV signals and high definition TV signals. This model has an HDMI connector instead of a DVI. However, I see no reason why you can't connect a PC with a DVI on the graphics card to this model's HDMI connection. You will need a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. Alternately, you need an DVI-to-HDMI adapter for the grahics card, and to this connect a regular HDMI cable.

Both Olevia TVs have PIP and split screen, so that you can put TV in a small PIP while you use PC applications, for instance.

Of the two Olevia's, I'd go with the 37" with the builtin HD tuner. Add a Windows Media Center PC. Cool stuff, Dude.
August 19, 2006 9:43:23 AM

The TV has both of the DVI and VGA interface, not to mention a built in TV tuner. Does his video card support HDMI? Hmmm... Since his video card doesn't offer that feature... why even mention it? in case he plans on upgrading? hmm.. he'll be fine.
August 19, 2006 11:08:40 AM

Quote:
hello yall.

i am building a new comp and its based around the radeon 1900xtx card so dont worry bout graphics power. I am wondering which of these is better. i hope to know the advantages and disadvanteges of these if you could tell me. Here are the choices im thinking of buying

LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

or

LCD HD TV

I want pretty good quality but keep in mind i like things big now a question i have on the LCD HD TV monitor is how good of a resolution will it be and will i have ghosting or any crazy ass problem for a game like BF2

Sad part is, these multi input LCD monitors do not seem to have a remote to switch inputs. A LCD TV might be a waste of money since we hardly use the built in tuner. Where I live, cable comes with a set top box which has a built in tuner. The set top connects to the TV thro S Video or Composite. So the only functions used on the TV are On / Off and switching Inputs.

Even I am looking for a 24" - 32" LCD flat panel with multi input AND a remote. Any one come across one lately?
August 19, 2006 10:44:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
hello yall.

or

LCD HD TV

Sad part is, these multi input LCD monitors do not seem to have a remote to switch inputs. A LCD TV might be a waste of money since we hardly use the built in tuner. Where I live, cable comes with a set top box which has a built in tuner. The set top connects to the TV thro S Video or Composite. So the only functions used on the TV are On / Off and switching Inputs.

Even I am looking for a 24" - 32" LCD flat panel with multi input AND a remote. Any one come across one lately?

This is not correct. The remote controls for both of these Olevia models has a button labelled "Source". Press this button, you can switch among the various video sources. Go to the images at Newegg or download the Owners Manual from SyntaxGroups.com to have this confirmed.

In addition, I own an Olevia and can personally confirm this.

Well, as for the usefulness of the builtin tuner, it depends on how you wish to use your LCD TV. Sometimes, I watch over the air locally broadcast television using the builtin tuner .

How about running a live local TV program side by side with a Windows desktop screen. You can then watch live TV while web surfing or work in other applications on your PC. This can be done with one video source in full screen and a second in PIP (picture in picture).

How about having live HD television from a HD tuner card in your Windows Media Center PC in the left half of the LCD screen, and a second live HD TV from the Olevia tuner on the right half of the screen

Or ESPN Sports Center from a DirecTV STB on left half and live HD from the Olevia tuner on the right.

A LDC panel with multiple video sources gives you enormous flexibility.

Of course, if you only want to play a PC game on the screen, you can do it. Or if you have XBox 360 connected to the LCD panel, play it.

Get the idea?
August 19, 2006 11:56:52 PM

Yip, I also own an Olevia LCD TV. pull down the tab @ the bottom of the remote and you have the options to instantly jump to component, vga, tv... etc..
August 20, 2006 7:22:32 AM

Where I live, even the free to air channels are available over the STB (for free of course). So I really would'nt be using the built in tuner.

Olevia is not sold in my part of the world. Any other brands you guys are aware of?
August 24, 2006 3:29:49 AM

i would go with the LCD monitoer if you want the most eye candy. since you have a good video card, you can run BF2 at 1920x1600 (but i dont think BF2 supports this resolution, correct me if i am wrong) but with the TV the max resoltion will only be 1336x768. thats a lot pixel difference. but if you wan function, than the TV wouldnt be a bad choice since it wont put a strain on your system!!! also i have westinghouse 22 LCD and it has PIP and has component, compsite, DVI, VGA, and s-video inputs but no tuner( easily solved wiht a tuner card) so as long as you get a multmedia monitor, you should get the same feastures like a TV but also more pixel count.
August 25, 2006 1:29:07 AM

i would just stick with the acer.
August 25, 2006 2:10:27 AM

Like others have said, the main problem with using an LCD tv as your PC monitor is the comparatively low resolution.
August 25, 2006 6:37:29 AM

Quote:
Like others have said, the main problem with using an LCD tv as your PC monitor is the comparatively low resolution.

You don't know what you are talking about. This statement of yours is nonsense.
August 28, 2006 10:18:41 AM

No his statement is correct the acer runs at 1920x 1200 the tv runs at 1366 x 768 that is one hell of a big difference in PC display quality.

The acer will be much more detailed and better quality for gaming, the TV will be more blocky as the pixels are bigger.

I would say if you dont need the tuner go for the Acer.
November 18, 2006 2:48:55 AM

my setup uses three 20 inch LCDs together in portrait for a total of a 41 inch screen at 3,150 x 1,680 resolution -- which is higher than standard HDTVs which are typically 1,920 x 1,080 or 1,366x768

depends on what you will be using it for ... mostly TV or more as computer monitor?

my setup and links to items I used in the setup are here
http://www.instructables.com/id/EXLOGYUZR9EUMVDT56/

January 4, 2007 9:15:29 PM

so it seems the best thing to do is to buy a LCD monitor and use a TV tuner card. a bonus would be if the monitor also had the other inputs....hdmi, coax, s vid, and rca.

right?

originally i was going to buy a beast of a system when vista came out and buy a 32 inch lcd monitor. use the system for tv, gaming, surfing, etc.

but then i stopped watching tv and only use the tv for dvds. thus i think buying the computer is a bit of a waste. but then i'd need a tuner, thus i'd choose a lcd tv over an LCD monitor. but overall, this is inferior to a lcd monitor+computer tv tuner card option.
January 17, 2007 6:43:53 PM

I completed my build recently which includes an evga 8800gts and a 30" Olivia LCD HDTV. Since completing this build I have been wrestling with trying to get video to work properly on this Olivia through the dvi outputs.

I can get windows to load to the desktop, set the resolution to 1280x720 @ 60hz and everything is fine until I launch a game. When I launch the screen goes blank but the program continues to run without video. I have done everything I can think of to solve this problem, without success, to date.

When I spoke to the reps at EVGA they tell me that the Olivia cannot refresh fast enough to keep up with the card, hence no video. My only solution to this problem has been to use a computer "monitor". I am also not the only person to have this problem with the Olivia. In fact I have even seen a post from another person with the same problem using a Sharp Aquos.

If you have not already taken the plunge I would suggest sticking with the monitor to avoid these headaches.
January 17, 2007 6:58:16 PM

IMO, go for the LCD monitor due to the increased resolution. Thats what I would do.

BTW nice setup acfou.
January 17, 2007 7:24:28 PM

I would get the monitor based on resolution. You should have the horsepower with the card for its native resolution. The monitor a essentially widescreen version of a 20" 1600x1200 monitor.

IMO the "HDTV" is junk as an HDTV. Its also not much larger than the monitor since the size is still measured diagonally which has much less of an effect for wide screen. As mentioned it also has a lower native resolution than the monitor. The resolution is also the messed up 1366x768 someone came up with. If you look closely at HD content on it, it looks funny because the image has to be scaled from 720 to 768. Many of these lower priced TV's also have poor scalers for SDTV content. You have to be far enough away from it to have it look good. HD resolutions are 1280x720 and 1920 x 1080. If HDTV is important on it, make sure it is one of those resolutions.

If you want a "BIG" picture I would save up and get a projector. At fast frame rates with every feature turned on some lower resolutions still look great.
January 17, 2007 8:12:05 PM

this has nothing to do with the post, but acfou's setup would drive me crazy. I couldn't stand it.

Carry on
January 18, 2007 12:05:25 AM

PEH

Did you change the resolution inside the game? Sometimes, the video settings and resolutions in the game's settings will override the monitor's settings.

So, try changing the game's settings.

Next, try reducing the panel's settings down to 1024 x 768. reboot, and then start the game. See what happens. It may be that you can then change the game's video settings and resolution to wide screen. Match the monitor's native resolution or close to it. I believe that your Olevia's native resolution is 1366 x 768. Most PC games use a classic HD resolution of 1280 x 720 or 768. So long as the game's resolution is less than or equal to the Olevia's native resolution, it should work; you may or may not get small black bars along the top and bottom during game play.

Lastly, it may be that the refresh rate is off, either in the Olevia or game. Almost all LCD panels use a refresh rate of 60Hz, including your Olevia.

As a last resort, change the connection from DVI to VGA on the panel. You may need an adapter if you have two DVI ports on the graphics card.
January 18, 2007 9:48:07 AM

I have a 32" Vizio HDTV hooked up to my PC, and it looks great. I'm running is through a XFX 7950GX2 card using DVI-VGA at 1366x768@60hz. Most if not all the games I play support this res with no problems. I get no ghosting, but in one game Titan Quest I do get a small amount of tearing with V-sync off. I had a 22" NEC Multisync CRT before this LCD, and after just a week with it I wont go back. The game play is smooth, and I love PIP feature, have a HD show going on one side and a game on the other.

Flight Sim X
January 18, 2007 10:27:54 AM

forget what everyone else told you... Go for the HP LP 3065 30 inch widescreen with a 2560x1500 resolution. it is the way to go hdcp compatible also
!