Sign in with
Your question

Pulled off heatsink, CPU came with it...

Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2006 3:02:39 AM

I was just upgrading my old socket 754 computer, I got an A64 3400 for it. When I went to take off the heatsink, it resisted a little then popped out...and the CPU was stuck to the bottom. It sort of freaked me out a little (not my gaming box but still), but I went ahead and dropped the new CPU in, reassembled the computer and tried to start it up...nothing...after a few tries all I got was a flash from the power LED.

So my question(s) is(are) this: before I spend time fiddling with the computer, has this happened to anyone before? Did your computer die afterwards? Was there a way to fix it?

Some additional information:

I set the old CPU and new CPU together and looked at the pins, they seemed to be the same height and none of the pins looked damaged.

I don't think the new CPU is defective, because in my experience even defective CPU will let the case fans spin up, LED's turn on etc.

The only things I did was uplug the power cables that were in the way, pull out the old CPU\heatsink, drop the new proc in, put the thermal grease on, put the heatsink back on and plug the power cables back in (and they ARE in).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

More about : pulled heatsink cpu

August 15, 2006 3:33:01 AM

um ive done it before... i put my cpu (a s754 2800+ newcastle) back into the socket and its as if nothing has happened. But i think i got lucky. Normally there's got to be something gripping the cpu to prevent it from being pulled out. If you force it, perhaps some of hte copper contacts got scraped off and is now in ur socket.. and thats wrecking havoc. My best advice would be to take the cpu out again.. shake hte board and see if metal dust for filings fall out of the cpu socket.. Give it a good upside down shake and possibly a couple of taps and put ur cpu back in... then hope for the best.. I wish you luck.
August 15, 2006 3:49:36 AM

Like pulling hair and the roots come out.
Ouch.
That's gotta hurt.
Lucky for me I have no hair.
I can't get over the initial 'yikes' here,
but hopefully all you'll need is a bios update and you should check w/ your motherboard maker/vendor to see what your board supports and what it'll take to get you powered up and going. (How 'old' is that board?)
Have you attempted to drop the old cpu back in to see if it'll go?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2006 3:49:37 AM

Quote:
I was just upgrading my old socket 754 computer, I got an A64 3400 for it. When I went to take off the heatsink, it resisted a little then popped out...and the CPU was stuck to the bottom. It sort of freaked me out a little (not my gaming box but still), but I went ahead and dropped the new CPU in, reassembled the computer and tried to start it up...nothing...after a few tries all I got was a flash from the power LED.

So my question(s) is(are) this: before I spend time fiddling with the computer, has this happened to anyone before? Did your computer die afterwards? Was there a way to fix it?

Some additional information:

I set the old CPU and new CPU together and looked at the pins, they seemed to be the same height and none of the pins looked damaged.

I don't think the new CPU is defective, because in my experience even defective CPU will let the case fans spin up, LED's turn on etc.

The only things I did was uplug the power cables that were in the way, pull out the old CPU\heatsink, drop the new proc in, put the thermal grease on, put the heatsink back on and plug the power cables back in (and they ARE in).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm currently running four socket 754's. Be sure you open the socket's retaining arm to 90 degrees. Set the chip in matched to the gold triangles. It only goes in one way. Gently put pressure in the center of the chip and lower and lock the retaining arm. When removing the heatsink, take the heatsink retaining clips loose from the mounting bracket on the MB. Then gently work the heatsink from side to side and gently lift the heatsink/fan from the processor. Use alcohol and a soft cloth to clean the thermal paste from the cpu and heatsink. Reapply therml paste before attaching the HSF.

Check all plugins to be sure you didn't knock something loose. If you are getting no power, check the main power plug to the MB and be sure you didn't unseat your main power plug to your MB. Check all plug ins and be sure they are plugged in securely.
August 15, 2006 3:50:49 AM

No No No it's completly normal. The thermalgrease between your cpu and heatsink has fused the two together the only socket that this will not happen with is intel's 775. But thats just because of the clamping device used. You have nothing to worry about in fact that is a good way of telling that you have a good band between you cpu and heatsink which gives you better heat dissapation.

Anywho this happens to me everytime i go to clean the heatsink on my familys 478 board have not had any problems. It could just be that you need to flash your bios.
August 15, 2006 3:57:28 AM

Quote:

I'd rather not pull the new CPU out, clean off the thermal grease, put new thermal grease on, put the old CPU back in and try again, particularly since if I did that then if it didn't work I'd have to do it a third time.
August 15, 2006 3:58:49 AM

I've done it too. Even had to bend the pins back on a month old $350 cpu once. Try putting the old cpu back in to see if the machine will operate. The board may need a bios upgrade to work with your new cpu. And on a side note next time you remove a heatsink after you unclip it from the socket, grab the top of it and twist it back and forth like your opening a doorknob, but only a few degrees. That will seperate the paste and free it.
August 15, 2006 3:59:06 AM

Quote:
Be sure you open the socket's retaining arm to 90 degrees.

I intended to, but the CPU was stuck to the heatsink, the heatsink covered the arm. When I pulled the heatsink off to get to the arm it pulled the CPU out with it.
August 15, 2006 4:00:54 AM

Quote:
It could just be that you need to flash your bios.

If it was a BIOS problem wouldn't the fans, drives, etc. spin up at least?
August 15, 2006 4:08:31 AM

It might not. The main thing is if the old cpu fires the system right back up you know nothing is wrong with the machine. If it won't then the socket may have been damaged.
August 15, 2006 4:31:56 AM

i've done it 3 or 4 times on my 939, though i guess it has something to do with the heatsink compound you use. I've used Arctic silver 5 and it seems to stick pretty often. hasnt done any damage that i can tell....yet
i think it sticking to the heatsink is dependent on what you used as thermopaste and how long its been there. the longer, the drier it gets and the higher chance that it will stick. BTW it is suppose to act as a sort of glue anyway so i wouldnt bother with it too much
have you flashed the bios? made sure all the cables are in? checked the compacitors on the mobo?
i wonder, if you were pulling the CPU and Heatsink out could you have damaged one or 2 of the compacitors?
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2006 5:22:59 AM

You should definitely retry the old cpu like everyone is saying, and yea i know how irritating it is. You could just put the cpu back in with the HS on top without thermal paste just to test cpu for a few seconds. At least that will verify that its not your socket thats damaged and maybe the new cpu is dodgy. No thermal paste is fine for a while i did it on my old thunderbird heaps of times while trying to unlock the multiplier (and wrecked the outside of the socket too from so many removals of the HS which was attached to the socked back then). Just dont leave it on there for like an hour without thermal paste, remember, your only testing to see if the cpu works.
August 15, 2006 6:13:56 AM

I'll test it tomorrow, post back with profanity if it doesn't work...and honestly probably profanity if it does.
August 15, 2006 6:49:04 AM

Quote:
unless it too old and i can resort to a club and large rocks. :p 
I refuse to ruin a CPU, no matter how old, or even throw one out. I have 286/386/486(many)/AMD 486/P90(many)/P120/P133/Pll 233/Cel 366/Cel 400/Pll 400/Cel 566/Plll 600EB/Plll866/Cel Tul 1.2/Cel Tul 1.3/Plll 1.2 Tul/P4 2.4C/P4 2.4A (All work) and hopefully a C2D ~late Q1 07. I'm a packrat...so says my wife. :wink:

PS. A lot of Intel...huh? :?
August 15, 2006 6:54:59 AM

Quote:
unless it too old and i can resort to a club and large rocks. :p 
I refuse to ruin a CPU, no matter how old, or even throw one out. I have 286/386/486(many)/AMD 486/P90(many)/P120/P133/Pll 233/Cel 366/Cel 400/Pll 400/Cel 566/Plll 600EB/Plll866/Cel Tul 1.2/Cel Tul 1.3/Plll 1.2 Tul/P4 2.4C/P4 2.4A (All work) and hopefully a C2D ~late Q1 07. I'm a packrat...so says my wife. :wink:

PS. A lot of Intel...huh? :?

Well put em' to work for you! Open a CPU museum!

Peace
August 15, 2006 7:03:55 AM

Quote:
better yet make the tank,the home super computer to die for,or die on.er whatever. :D 
Yeah.....build a beowulf with them all......and maybe, just maybe have the power of a stock X6800. 8O and 20x the power comsumption and heat. :wink: I'd have to chain my dog onto a treadmill that's converted to generate electricity, and run her 24/7. Poor mutt. hehehe
August 15, 2006 7:20:40 AM

Quote:
get the dog his excercise without leaving the home,,,,good thinkin. :wink:

Hey, wait a second. Expand that thought. Start a "dog walking" business. Pick up the customers pooches, put to work on the treadmill. Get paid for powering Beowulf!! :wink:

Peace
August 15, 2006 8:26:18 AM

Hell, I'd pay you to walk my dog to power your beowulf. My one dog has limitless energy, just him could power the whole thing for days without stopping.
August 15, 2006 9:00:23 AM

Quote:
you sir, are a visionary.
its that type of thinking that makes millions.I can see it now dog powered computing ,by turpit and tank.
why, with enough dogs ,you could sell power to other home owners.
boy,geeze,and golly ! :lol:  :lol: 
The only problem is, the cluster may crash, when the dog stops.........to take a dump. :D  hehehehe

PS...Put a diaper on the mutt. :wink:
August 15, 2006 9:16:15 AM

Quote:
its that type of thinking that makes millions.I can see it now dog powered computing ,by turpit and tank.
The only problem is, the cluster may crash, when the dog stops.........to take a dump. :D  hehehehe

PS...Put a diaper on the mutt. :wink:You could just get a warehouse full of dogs on treadmills and you could then continue on to power Denver! 8O Renewable energy resource: Dog.
August 15, 2006 9:44:33 AM

Quote:
better yet make the tank,the home super computer to die for,or die on.er whatever. :D 
Yeah.....build a beowulf with them all......and maybe, just maybe have the power of a stock X6800. 8O and 20x the power comsumption and heat. :wink: I'd have to chain my dog onto a treadmill that's converted to generate electricity, and run her 24/7. Poor mutt. heheheI should sell this idea to AMD, and they could name the dog-powered CPU......get ready.......here it comes..............K9 :D  :D  :D  LMFAO. :wink:
August 15, 2006 2:39:36 PM

y dogs? America's Obesity is really becomming a problem, y not fat ppl? Just Dangle a Hamburger in front of them just slightly out of reach and the rest will be automatic. They loose their extra pounds, we get cheap energy, and at this rate.. i doubt we're gonna run out of fat ppl that fast....
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2006 2:50:47 PM

Something tells me you were using a curing Thermal Paste (Like Arctic Silver 5) or hells even the stock thermal paste (grey stuff) that comes with AMD and Intel heatsinks.

As they cure (harden) all of the air underneath the heatsink is pushed out, so it creates a suction effects when you try and separate the two.

This has been happening to me ever since the Pentium 4. It's mainly caused by the Heatspreader, thermal paste used and the amount of time the CPU/thermal paste has had to cure.
August 15, 2006 4:53:10 PM

Anybody know if that guy that started this thread got his computer to work?
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2006 5:47:19 PM

Quote:
y dogs? America's Obesity is really becomming a problem, y not fat ppl? Just Dangle a Hamburger in front of them just slightly out of reach and the rest will be automatic. They loose their extra pounds, we get cheap energy, and at this rate.. i doubt we're gonna run out of fat ppl that fast....

lets see prime reason #1 ACLU the homosexual lawfirm/ establishment that deems all reasonable human torture unreasonable.they will send people to soldiers grave to protest the war and tell you your kid deserved to die.it happens nearly every funeral for service men killed in the middle east.ACLU= american collective for laws that are useless
You need to brush up on your facts mate. I'm Canadian and I know more about your country then you do it seems. you possibly watch too much FoxNews or Bill O'Reilly BS.

It's not the ACLU who protest the funerals for the soldiers coming back and making such comments. It's southern Baptist groups (religious Right groups) who are making these statements. These are also the SAME statements Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson made following 9/11. They beleive that the reason American was attacked rather then protected by God was because of America's tolerance for Abortions, homosexuals, atheists and women's rights.

The ACLU are the lawyers representing the Southern Baptist group, but of course that is there job. They're the The American Civil Liberties Union, and it is there existence to ensure Civil Liberties are maintained.

Remember, we cannot just censor anothers opinion just because we don't like the context of there message. In the end, we too have the power to protest.. in the form of a counter-protest. That is a democracy/republic... anything else would be a Tyranny, Authoritarian, Communiste/Fascist regime.

Brush up on your facts or remain silent please ;) 
August 15, 2006 10:18:39 PM

Quote:

:oops: 

Well thank you.
Yes I do have great vision when looking throught my beer googles. Its amazing how many good ideas those have allowed me to see :wink:

Peace
August 15, 2006 10:33:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah.....build a beowulf with them all......and maybe, just maybe have the power of a stock X6800. 8O and 20x the power comsumption and heat. :wink: I'd have to chain my dog onto a treadmill that's converted to generate electricity, and run her 24/7. Poor mutt. heheheI should sell this idea to AMD, and they could name the dog-powered CPU......get ready.......here it comes..............K9 :D  :D  :D  LMFAO. :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

WARNING

Consumption of 1Tanker's post may be hazardous to you health.

Side effects may include but are not limited to:

Respiratory failure
Loss of consciousness
Severe stomach cramping from rapid uncontrollable abdominal contractions
Bruising, Abrasions and/or Contusions from falls due to loss of consciousness
Concussions from falls due to loss of consciousness
Projectile expulsion of fluids or food matter from nasal cavity
Damage to computer equipment from fluids projectile expulsed from nasal cavity

If you should experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately

Peace

By the By, I want my cut when you submit that idea to AMD
August 15, 2006 10:48:37 PM

Quote:

I'd rather not pull the new CPU out, clean off the thermal grease, put new thermal grease on, put the old CPU back in and try again, particularly since if I did that then if it didn't work I'd have to do it a third time.

You're probably gonna have to take the new cpu out and replace with the old cpu so you can flash the bios anyway. It would be my preferred method, rather than change out the bios chip.

hball
August 15, 2006 11:30:15 PM

Quote:

It's not the ACLU who protest the funerals for the soldiers coming back and making such comments. It's southern Baptist groups (religious Right groups) who are making these statements. These are also the SAME statements Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson made following 9/11. They beleive that the reason American was attacked rather then protected by God was because of America's tolerance for Abortions, homosexuals, atheists and women's rights.

You know whats really messed up? What if they're right and no one is listening?
August 15, 2006 11:39:11 PM

Quote:
Remember, we cannot just censor anothers opinion just because we don't like the context of there message.

Quote:

Nobody else see the irony in this?
August 15, 2006 11:41:22 PM

Quote:
Remember, we cannot just censor anothers opinion just because we don't like the context of there message.

Quote:

Nice!! :wink:
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2006 11:42:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope.. an opinion cannot be censored. Everyone is allowed to share there own opinions. What he posted was an outright mis-leading statement (I'd say lie but I don't think he knew) he tried to pass on as fact.
August 15, 2006 11:43:39 PM

This same thing happened to me. I had a really tough time getting a heatsink off of a 754 sempron and finally just ripped the thing off. I had about 15 bent pins but I was able to straighten them, pop it back in and, amazingly, it worked.
August 15, 2006 11:57:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope.. an opinion cannot be censored. Everyone is allowed to share there own opinions. What he posted was an outright mis-leading statement (I'd say lie but I don't think he knew) he tried to pass on as fact.

Of course. Because you can't state opinions, only share them.... :roll:
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2006 12:06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Of course. Because you can't state opinions, only share them.... :roll:

He stated that the ACLU protested outside funerals, he stated it as fact. It was not factual. Therefore it's not an opinion do to the way it was presented.

That's the problem these days with the media.. too many pundits trying to pass opinion as fact. Most notably Bill O'Reilly.
August 16, 2006 12:09:22 AM

i had the same thing happen before. when the cpu came out
with the heatsink the pins along one whole side of my 3700 sandy
were bent at almost a 90 degree angle <sh%$>
i bent them back and reistalled. that was almost a year ago
it still works great spooky though
August 16, 2006 12:17:02 AM

Quote:
Anybody know if that guy that started this thread got his computer to work?

Didn't try it last night, been at work all day. I'm gonna put the old proc back in when I get home (6:30-7:00) and give it a shot. Like I said expect profanity if it does work and profanity if it doesn't, because either way I'm gonna be pissed.
August 16, 2006 12:18:01 AM

good luck man
August 16, 2006 12:19:30 AM

The same thing happened to me recently with an AMD64 4000+ (San Diego, 939 pin). I even got 1 pin bent a little bit because the CPU was dropped a few inches. When I put the CPU into the new mobo, I didn't pay attention to the golden triangle mark on the CPU socket. The results was when I turned on the rig, nothing works (got power but no video). The bad thing was the rig had a new mobo and a new PCI-E video card. So I didn't know it was the mobo or the video card, or even the CPU not working because I dropped it.

I took me 2 hours to unhook everything and tested the video card on another system. It worked, so I knew it was NOT the video card. Then I removed the CPU from the heat sink and the 939 socket, that's where I found out the CPU was seated wrongly on the socket. Reseat the CPU and everything is OK.
August 16, 2006 12:47:21 AM

Quote:

lets see prime reason #1 ACLU the homosexual lawfirm/ establishment that deems all reasonable human torture unreasonable.they will send people to soldiers grave to protest the war and tell you your kid deserved to die.it happens nearly every funeral for service men killed in the middle east.ACLU= american collective for laws that are useless
You need to brush up on your facts mate. I'm Canadian and I know more about your country then you do it seems. you possibly watch too much FoxNews or Bill O'Reilly BS.

Actually you are wrong there is only one group protesting soldier funerals they are with the Westboro Baptist in Kansas, ACLU although they do defend the protestors rights which is fine, and for the most part like 90% it is only family members the church that is. And for your information pretty much everyone on both sides it the "isle" truly dislike and hate them. What they do is horrible no matter if you are for or against the war. This is the one and only and I do mean ONLY case where I belive IMHO they should not have the right to assemble and protest (at funerals that is). You can assemble and protest at weddings and crashsites whatever you like but funerals I belive IMHO should be protected, having been to way to many im my life, no protestors at those.

In regards to Fallwel and Robertson what they also said is wrong and was condemed by the majority on both sides. Personally I despise organized religon in general what ever your faith may be. I am a christian but do not beling to any church or denomination I also have no problems with abortion, gay rights, etc. It is your own business just dont involve me in it. The biggest problem in the USA at the moment is the lawsuit culture more than anything else, right behind it is people so called "right" to not be offended. There is nothing wrong with posting the 10 commandments or a nativity scene, or menorah, etc., you dont like it to bad you dont have the "right" to not be offended.

But to the point of the actual topic did I miss read or did he say that the arm you clamp down that hold the cpu (maybe cpu and heatsink) in place he was unable to release in which case i would think IMO that he could have possibly dmaged the socket itself. I dont know about heatsinks sticking to cpus never experienced it myself aslo i havent removed may either, but I belive and I could be wrong that most all cpu sockets in the last 5 or more years are ZIF (zero insertion force) sockets in which case even if the cpu is stuck to the heatsink it should come out easily unless the little clamping arm could not get release which like I said IMO could have maybe damaged the socket itself.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2006 12:52:23 AM

Quote:

Actually you are wrong there is only one group protesting soldier funerals they are with the Westboro Baptist in Kansas, ACLU although they do defend the protestors rights which is fine, and for the most part like 90% it is only family members the church that is. And for your information pretty much everyone on both sides it the "isle" truly dislike and hate them. What they do is horrible no matter if you are for or against the war. This is the one and only and I do mean ONLY case where I belive IMHO they should not have the right to assemble and protest (at funerals that is). You can assemble and protest at weddings and crashsites whatever you like but funerals I belive IMHO should be protected, having been to way to many im my life, no protestors at those.

In regards to Fallwel and Robertson what they also said is wrong and was condemed by the majority on both sides. Personally I despise organized religon in general what ever your faith may be. I am a christian but do not beling to any church or denomination I also have no problems with abortion, gay rights, etc. It is your own business just dont involve me in it. The biggest problem in the USA at the moment is the lawsuit culture more than anything else, right behind it is people so called "right" to not be offended. There is nothing wrong with posting the 10 commandments or a nativity scene, or menorah, etc., you dont like it to bad you dont have the "right" to not be offended.

But to the point of the actual topic did I miss read or did he say that the arm you clamp down that hold the cpu (maybe cpu and heatsink) in place he was unable to release in which case i would think IMO that he could have possibly dmaged the socket itself. I dont know about heatsinks sticking to cpus never experienced it myself aslo i havent removed may either, but I belive and I could be wrong that most all cpu sockets in the last 5 or more years are ZIF (zero insertion force) sockets in which case even if the cpu is stuck to the heatsink it should come out easily unless the little clamping arm could not get release which like I said IMO could have maybe damaged the socket itself.

There are two groups now protesting the funerals :(  There's the WEstboro baptists and now an extended amount of anti-war Southern baptists.
August 16, 2006 2:46:04 AM

Update:
Put the old proc in, it worked (profanity as promised $&^ING PIECE OF ^&*% WHY CAN'T ANYTHING EVER JUST #&($^#%@&$^ING WORK?????), flashed the BIOS, dropped the new proc in, nothing...

So I've narrowed it down to two possibilities...either the new proc is bad, or I screwed up on the reassembly the first time, put things back together correctly when I put the old proc back in, and then screwed up in exactly the same manner when I put the new proc back in. God I hate computers.

I'm gonna RMA and hope it goes through (bought it as a combo deal), if it doesn't maybe I'll spring for a 3700...

Thanks for your help.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2006 6:08:20 AM

Hey at least you know its not your mobo thats screwed :lol:  !

Let us know how it goes.
August 16, 2006 6:54:35 AM

Are you sure the new bios supports that processor? Also maybe try clearing the cmos after you install the 3400. Finally, you may have answered earlier, do you know anybody with a working system that you can drop the new processor in and test it. I hate RMAing stuff, takes time and costs shipping.
August 16, 2006 7:03:43 AM

Quote:
You can assemble and protest at weddings and crashsites whatever you like but funerals I belive IMHO should be protected, having been to way to many im my life, no protestors at those.
Agreed. A funeral is supposed to be a time to reflect on a persons life(good or bad), show respect, and do it all in a peaceful and (hopefully)safe environment. Protesting at a funeral is about as low as a person(or group) can get. Funeral attendees are emotionally at their weakest, and that weakness shouldn't be exploited to further someone's cause. Disgusting! :evil: 
August 16, 2006 3:24:29 PM

Quote:
Are you sure the new bios supports that processor? Also maybe try clearing the cmos after you install the 3400. Finally, you may have answered earlier, do you know anybody with a working system that you can drop the new processor in and test it. I hate RMAing stuff, takes time and costs shipping.

It was the newest BIOS (5-2-2006), if a BIOS that new doesn't support a 3400 then somethings wrong.

I didn't try to clear the CMOS and I may try that if the next proc fails, but I'm tired of swapping the procs and I want to make sure that I have a functioning one before I do this again.

I don't know anyone else who has a functioning S754 computer (in fact one of my friends is waiting on my upgrade to build a computer so he can use my spare parts).

I don't really want to RMA it either, but I also don't want to spend inordinate amounts of time trying to get a recalcitrant proc to work either.
August 16, 2006 5:05:29 PM

Yea I hate swapping processors too. Not only is the heatsink a pain but the cpu is one of the few parts that I actually worry about esd. Probably because they are so expensive. At leats shipping should't be much on a cpu. What is the make and model of your board?
August 16, 2006 5:17:16 PM

Epox 8KDA3+
August 16, 2006 5:35:44 PM

That's a pretty good board. Your right ther's no reason it wouldn't support that CPU. Maybe you really got a bad CPU, although it's never happened to me before. Was it OEM or retail box?
August 16, 2006 11:13:35 PM

OEM, combo deal with a cheap mobo. I was gonna give the mobo and my old proc to a friend (he's running a PIII 500).
!