What should be my DNS and Machine name?

I have website register at internic.com and hosted on
third party. My website name will be www.MSstudentLab.com.

I have a pool of 2 Static IP's.

Currently I have Windows 2000 Server running NAT with
Internal and External NIC.

I have bought another windows 2000 server and have plan to
host my website internally.

I want to host it behind NAT insted of using my second
Public IP.

I don't have any plan to install Active Directory.
I do have windows NT 4.0 PDC running in the network as a
File Server and authentication purpose for all
workstations of windows 2000 professional.

I plan to join this server with windows NT domain as a
Member server so that it can also have PDC resources
available.

Question 1: What should be the proper name of my New
windows 2000 server machine? MSstudentLAB

Question 2: Do I need 2 Nic card in this machine?
One Nic for NAT to assign Dynamc IP and another NIC card
for DNS service to Run.

Question3:

Option 1:
Do I need to have this SERVER as a ROOT SERVER because
there is no other DNS server in the NETWORK and all
Clients are directed to ISP DNS server through NAT for
resolving queries.

Option 2:
Install DNS assuming there is another DNS server on the
Network and use 192.168.0.1 DNS server address?

If I do this option while settig up the DNS server,have my
server DYNAMIC_NIC gets Dynamic IP address from NAT server
which would be ->>192.168.0.X , Gateway->>192.168.0.1,
DHCP-->>192.168.0.1, DNS ->> 192.168.0.1, Subnet ->>
255.255.255.0
also have my other Nic STATIC_NIC which I have put address
manually ->>192.168.0.2, Subnet->> 255.255.255.0, Gateway-
>> 192.168.0.1 and DNS-> 192.168.0.1

Goal: I want this machine to answer all the Outside world
queries directed toward my register website
www.MSstudentLab.com and public can see my website hosted
on this machine.

I want my internal machines also to be able to view this
website hosted on this machine.

Please help or point me to right direction.

Thanks to all...
ASMAN

If this Windows 2000-based DNS server is on an intranet,
it should only point to its own IP address for DNS; do not
enter IP addresses for other DNS servers here. If this
server needs to resolve names on the Internet, it should
have a forwarder configured.

Will I be doing this or I would have IP address of the DNS
server of my DYNAMIC_NIC card or say 192.168.0.1 which is
a Gateway address, DNS address of the LAN side For NAT
Machine.

I am wondering what will be the Standard Primary Forward
LookUp Zone name ? Is it going to be same as
MSstudentLab.com ?

This is really confusing, please help.

In news:2f6d01c48ed6$e3cf3690$a501280a@phx.gbl,
ASMAN <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied inline:
> I have website register at internic.com and hosted on
> third party. My website name will be www.MSstudentLab.com.
>
> I have a pool of 2 Static IP's.
>
> Currently I have Windows 2000 Server running NAT with
> Internal and External NIC.
>
> I have bought another windows 2000 server and have plan to
> host my website internally.
>
> I want to host it behind NAT insted of using my second
> Public IP.
>
> I don't have any plan to install Active Directory.
> I do have windows NT 4.0 PDC running in the network as a
> File Server and authentication purpose for all
> workstations of windows 2000 professional.
>
> I plan to join this server with windows NT domain as a
> Member server so that it can also have PDC resources
> available.
>

> Question 1: What should be the proper name of my New
> windows 2000 server machine? MSstudentLAB

Give it a proper DNS name, that way, when ever you create a new zone on it
it will assign that name as the NS and SOA primary name server name. Since
this is going to be in a NT4 domain the machine's DNS name is not relevant
as long as it is not the same as another machine. You can name it NS1 and
give it a primary DNS suffix of msstudentlab.com giving it a full computer
name of ns1.msstudentlab.com which it will automatically give all of it
default NS records. Then register a name server host record with NetSol
named NS1.msstudentlab.com with one of you Public IP addresses that with be
NATed to the public DNS server.

> Question 2: Do I need 2 Nic card in this machine?
> One Nic for NAT to assign Dynamc IP and another NIC card
> for DNS service to Run.

Use only one static NIC.

> Question3:
>
> Option 1:
> Do I need to have this SERVER as a ROOT SERVER because
> there is no other DNS server in the NETWORK and all
> Clients are directed to ISP DNS server through NAT for
> resolving queries.

If the zones are going to only be for public consumption, you could even go
so far as to disable recursion on this server. Do not point it or any other
local machine to its address for DNS, remember its zones must only hold
public records which are useless for local machines to access its sites.

> Option 2:
> Install DNS assuming there is another DNS server on the
> Network and use 192.168.0.1 DNS server address?

Install DNS on a second machine for the local users to use, with zone
matching the name of the public DNS zones, but give the zones records with
private addresses for the local users to access sites you host locally.

> If I do this option while settig up the DNS server,have my
> server DYNAMIC_NIC gets Dynamic IP address from NAT server
> which would be ->>192.168.0.X , Gateway->>192.168.0.1,
> DHCP-->>192.168.0.1, DNS ->> 192.168.0.1, Subnet ->>
> 255.255.255.0
> also have my other Nic STATIC_NIC which I have put address
> manually ->>192.168.0.2, Subnet->> 255.255.255.0, Gateway-
>>> 192.168.0.1 and DNS-> 192.168.0.1
>

> Goal: I want this machine to answer all the Outside world
> queries directed toward my register website
> www.MSstudentLab.com and public can see my website hosted
> on this machine.
>
> I want my internal machines also to be able to view this
> website hosted on this machine.
>
> Please help or point me to right direction.

If you want both local access by name and public access by name you need two
DNS servers. One for the local users that publishes private IPs and one for
public users that publish only public IPs. Do not try to get one server to
do both!

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

ASMAN wrote:
> I have website register at internic.com and hosted on
> third party. My website name will be www.MSstudentLab.com.
>
> I have a pool of 2 Static IP's.
>
> Currently I have Windows 2000 Server running NAT with
> Internal and External NIC.
>
> I have bought another windows 2000 server and have plan to
> host my website internally.
>
> I want to host it behind NAT insted of using my second
> Public IP.

OT reply: Why? Actually, you ought to put this in a DMZ if you're at all
concerned with security.

> I don't have any plan to install Active Directory.
> I do have windows NT 4.0 PDC running in the network as a
> File Server and authentication purpose for all
> workstations of windows 2000 professional.
>
> I plan to join this server with windows NT domain as a
> Member server so that it can also have PDC resources
> available.

Dangerous if you're allowing public access to it.