Hosting public dns without domain name

Can i host a public dns server without having subscribe to a domain
name ? User will have to key in my dns server ip in ther machine to
act as forwarder. Pls advise. Thanks

Rgds
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0408310101.32021f0d@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Can i host a public dns server without having subscribe
> to a domain name ? User will have to key in my dns server
> ip in ther machine to act as forwarder. Pls advise. Thanks

No you cannot, in order to have a public name server registered at the
parent servers for the TLD, it must have a second level domain name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Why ?

In news:6a6a9040.0408311018.5c5d9920@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Why ?

You would have to ask ICANN that question, your name server must be listed
at the TLD servers in order to host public domains.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

Let me try.

If you host www.whatever.net. Say one of my clients want to go to that site.
The client will ask my DNS server for www.whatever.net. My DNS server will
"truthfully" say, I don't know, but let me see if I know the name server
responsible for whatever.net. Of course, my DNS server does not know that
yet, so it will say "no problem, I'll just go ask the name server for the
"net" domain. So, my DNS server will walk up to the "net" name servers (the
TLDs, the Roots servers) and say:
Excuse me guys, but I am looking for the nameserver for the zone called
"whatever"

Now the question is what do you think would happen IF the TLD servers don't
ahve a name for you? They would just laugh at my DNS server. Then my DNS
server would get mad and go smack my client and the client would get upset
and do a BSOD and my support calls would go through the roof. All because of
you :)

Ahem..... I got a little carried away there....but you get the picture. You
are required to publish a Name/IP pair with the Root Servers so that we all
can find your server and ask it for the records that it says it is
responsible for. It just keeps things orderly and proper, see?

--
Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon

In news:6a6a9040.0409020900.380bf9f1@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
> Ace, thanks for reply and u r partially right. What i trying to figure
> out is hosting a public dns server for all user, not for my office
> user only. It will be like ISP dns server where everyone can use it as
> forwarder. What do you mean by private domain name and have specific
> client networks' DNS servers use his DNS server as their forwarder ?
> What i mean for user will have to key in the dns server ip as
> forwarder is for public user where we normally key in our isp dns ip.
>
> Rgds
> Daniel

From your response, you are hosting a public zone. As Kevin mentioned, you
need to register that zone with the registrar and register your DNS server
as a hostnameserver with the registrar. Otherwise, its a private domain and
you would need to tell your specific users to specifically use YOUR DNS to
resolve this domain.

Ace

Ace, what you mean is if i don't register to the TLDs registrar it
won;t become a public name server but my internal or specific(remote)
user will be able to use it as forwarder if they know my dns ip
address, right ?

Rgds
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0409030632.799d0d1a@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
> Ace, what you mean is if i don't register to the TLDs registrar it
> won;t become a public name server but my internal or specific(remote)
> user will be able to use it as forwarder if they know my dns ip
> address, right ?

Correct.

Ace