DC doesn't know it's own domain name

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

about every week or so my DC decides to forget who he is.
I will come in the morning and have users complain that
they can't print. My DC also serves as the print server.
When this happens I try to log onto the server, only to
wait about 30 minutes before logging on. But it doesn't
log onto the domain, in fact on login the domain doesn't
even appear in the options. If I reboot the machine it
comes up fine for the next couple/few days at least. The
only error I get in the Application Log is as follows:

Source: Usernv
Event ID: 1000

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your
computer network. Return value (2146)

It seems as though it can't resolve itself via DNS. Not
sure.

In news:3b4b01c48f9b$77cad1a0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
dan <dan@integriguard.org> made a post then I commented below
> about every week or so my DC decides to forget who he is.
> I will come in the morning and have users complain that
> they can't print. My DC also serves as the print server.
> When this happens I try to log onto the server, only to
> wait about 30 minutes before logging on. But it doesn't
> log onto the domain, in fact on login the domain doesn't
> even appear in the options. If I reboot the machine it
> comes up fine for the next couple/few days at least. The
> only error I get in the Application Log is as follows:
>
> Source: Usernv
> Event ID: 1000
>
> Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your
> computer network. Return value (2146)
>
> It seems as though it can't resolve itself via DNS. Not
> sure.

Classic DNS issue where you're probably using your ISP's DNS address in your
DC and client machines' IP properties, as Mark mentioned. That's the usual
cause. As he said, make sure you only use your internal DNS only for all
machines that are part of the domain. The only place an ISP's DNS address
should exist is as a forwarder configured in DNS properties.

Otherwise, if that is true, you'll need to step thru those other
suggestions.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Hi Dan

Seems a bit of a non-specific error. I'd suggest this is a general
network/DNS issue that's manifesting itself in this way. Suggestions:

1. Make sure that the DC points to itself for DNS, there's no alternate
specified and if external name resolution is required, use forwarders.

2. Make sure there's no firewall like software installed on this DC.

3. Try updating the NIC driver or replacing the NIC with one that uses a
different chipset.

4. Examine the event logs for DNS problems.

5. See whether the DC is reachable from the network when the issue occurs.
Ping name and IP.

6. Check to see whether there's any kind of power saving involved with the
NIC.

Get the general idea? :) This is the area I'd be looking at to start with.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"dan" <dan@integriguard.org> wrote in message
> about every week or so my DC decides to forget who he is.
> I will come in the morning and have users complain that
> they can't print. My DC also serves as the print server.
> When this happens I try to log onto the server, only to
> wait about 30 minutes before logging on. But it doesn't
> log onto the domain, in fact on login the domain doesn't
> even appear in the options. If I reboot the machine it
> comes up fine for the next couple/few days at least. The
> only error I get in the Application Log is as follows:
>
> Source: Usernv
> Event ID: 1000
>
> Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your
> computer network. Return value (2146)
>
> It seems as though it can't resolve itself via DNS. Not
> sure.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

address to email
>me; I'll post a response back to the group.

confers no rights.

>"dan" <dan@integriguard.org> wrote in message
>> about every week or so my DC decides to forget who he
is.
>> I will come in the morning and have users complain that
>> they can't print. My DC also serves as the print
server.
>> When this happens I try to log onto the server, only to
>> wait about 30 minutes before logging on. But it doesn't
>> log onto the domain, in fact on login the domain doesn't
>> even appear in the options. If I reboot the machine it
>> comes up fine for the next couple/few days at least.
The
>> only error I get in the Application Log is as follows:
>>
>> Source: Usernv
>> Event ID: 1000
>>
>> Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for
your
>> computer network. Return value (2146)
>>
>> It seems as though it can't resolve itself via DNS. Not
>> sure.
>>
>I just noticed that about two minutes before i get the
error mentioned above, I get a system log warning....

Source: W32time
Event ID: 63

The time service cannot provide secure (signed) time to
client 192.x.x.x because the attempt to validate its
computer account failed.

not sure if this is causing the problem or is a result of
the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

In news:090d01c4902a$3fb6fe80$a401280a@phx.gbl,
dan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below

That may be a symptom of the problem and is starting to confirm that it may
be a DNS misconfiguration.

Not sure if I missed your response in your post or not, but didn't seem to
see any replies on it, but did you confirm what Mark and I mentioned?

Tell you what, let's try to narrow it down for you. Could you please post:

1. An unedited ipconfig /all, the AD DNS domain name,
2. The zone name in DNS
3. If updates are allowed on the zone?

Like I said, these items can help us narrow this down. Otherwise, with
limited config info, its difficult to ascertain with any certainty.