Additional DNS question for KEVIN

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 1, 2004 3:32:53 PM

Kevin:
Register a name server host record with NetSol
named "NS1.msstudentlab.com" with one of you Public IP
addresses that with be NATed to the public DNS server"

ASMAN:
Question:
When public query my host "msstudentlab.com" it will be
same as "NS1.msstudentlab.com" which I have to register at
Network Solutions. Correct?

User query will hit my public IP address which is a WAN
interface on Windows 2000 server running NAT server.

NAT will forward the public query to the Destination IP
address which is manually configured in NAT Server to
forward all PORT 80 and PORT 52 request on Private IP
address of the Name_Server Machine.

NS1.msstudentlab.com server receive this request on port
80 and port 52 and resolve the NAME and at the same time
reply with the DEFAULT WB-PAGE STORED/Configure in IIS
server. Correct ?

KEVIN:
Use only one static NIC in the DNS server Machine.

ASMAN:
Ok I have One NIC in DSN machine. I name the Machne NS1
add Primary DNS SUFFIX of this MACHINE
to "msstudentlab.com" also TCP/IP properties DNS TAB I
have DNS SUFFIX for this connection "msstudentlab.com"
have register this computer addresses in DNS checked,
enable "Append primary and connection specific DNS
suffixes and Checked :Append parent suffixes".

In TCP/IP properties do I need to assign a IP address ,
gateway of the Nat-Machine and DSN of the NAT Machine
Manually
OR
I should leave it to Obtain an Ip Address automatically
from the NAT server and Obtain DNS server address
automatically?

Thank you so much for helping me Learing and moving
forward.

ASMAN
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:03:04 PM

In news:451c01c49052$179b7ac0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
ASMAN <acefwding@msn.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin:
> Register a name server host record with NetSol
> named "NS1.msstudentlab.com" with one of you Public IP
> addresses that with be NATed to the public DNS server"
>
> ASMAN:
> Question:
> When public query my host "msstudentlab.com" it will be
> same as "NS1.msstudentlab.com" which I have to register at
> Network Solutions. Correct?

No, it is not the same, log into your Netsol account for this domain, on the
left side of the page (IIRC) there is a link for "Manage Host Servers" add
NS1.msstudentlab.com as a host server, then withing 48 hours you can use
ns1.msstudentlab.com as a public DNS server to use in Domain registration
for any domain you register.

> User query will hit my public IP address which is a WAN
> interface on Windows 2000 server running NAT server.
>
> NAT will forward the public query to the Destination IP
> address which is manually configured in NAT Server to
> forward all PORT 80 and PORT 52 request on Private IP
> address of the Name_Server Machine.
>
> NS1.msstudentlab.com server receive this request on port
> 80 and port 52 and resolve the NAME and at the same time
> reply with the DEFAULT WB-PAGE STORED/Configure in IIS
> server. Correct ?

It is port 53 TCP & UDP for DNS.

> KEVIN:
> Use only one static NIC in the DNS server Machine.
>
> ASMAN:
> Ok I have One NIC in DSN machine. I name the Machne NS1
> add Primary DNS SUFFIX of this MACHINE
> to "msstudentlab.com" also TCP/IP properties DNS TAB I
> have DNS SUFFIX for this connection "msstudentlab.com"
> have register this computer addresses in DNS checked,
> enable "Append primary and connection specific DNS
> suffixes and Checked :Append parent suffixes".

Do not let the DNS machine register in DNS if it uses itself for DNS, it
will register its private address. You cannot have private addresses in a
public DNS zone.
For local resolution you need a separate server with DNS. The public DNS
server must only resolve names to public addresses.

> In TCP/IP properties do I need to assign a IP address ,
> gateway of the Nat-Machine and DSN of the NAT Machine
> Manually
> OR
> I should leave it to Obtain an Ip Address automatically
> from the NAT server and Obtain DNS server address
> automatically?

DNS servers must have static IP addresses. No exception.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]