LITE ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S BURNING PROBLEMS

Wrighty

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Im having trouble burning DVD'S with my LITE ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S drive
I've updated the firmware but still the same problem, no matter what programe i use they all come up with errors when it comes to burn the disc, has anyone come across this problem before.

The_Lightning_Stalker

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I'm getting the same thing. Updated my firmware as well. It only burned one good disc which was the first one then all coasters. One time Nero said "Illegal Disc" then after updating the firmware it just froze while burning and I had to shut down to eject my newly made coaster. Windows didn't freeze, just Nero and the drive, so it's got to be the drive. It seems to be overheating and it's not my case because there's an open external HD bay right underneath it so there's no airflow problem. I'm taking it back to Wal-Mart and getting a different brand. LiteON made great CD-RW drives, what the hell happened?

Wrighty

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi thanks for the info, i've requested a replacement DVD-RW because it's still in warranty, Hopefully that should sort the problem out a.
Have you any recomendations on a drive i should get when it happens again

Regards Chris.

I'm getting the same thing. Updated my firmware as well. It only burned one good disc which was the first one then all coasters. One time Nero said "Illegal Disc" then after updating the firmware it just froze while burning and I had to shut down to eject my newly made coaster. Windows didn't freeze, just Nero and the drive, so it's got to be the drive. It seems to be overheating and it's not my case because there's an open external HD bay right underneath it so there's no airflow problem. I'm taking it back to Wal-Mart and getting a different brand. LiteON made great CD-RW drives, what the hell happened?

I've had the same drive in my rig for 8 months now and it has never made a single coaster, CD or DVD. I've upgraded my firmware as each new one came out and have had zero problems. Hopefully you just got a bad unit.

Also, check the device manager and make sure it's running in DMA mode and not PIO mode.

Wrighty

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
how do i chech is running correct in device manager, cannot find the option but know how to get into device manager, thanks

In device manager, check under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click and select properties on the IDE Channel your DVD recorder is attached to. Transfer mode should be set to "DMA if available". Current transfer mode should be "Ultra DMA Mode 4".

Wrighty

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
current transfere mode on mine is set to "Ultra DMA Mode 2" how do i change this? The transfere mode is set correct though

thanks

Are you able to change it via the selector (drop down box)?

Your drive may be experiencing problems which are causing windows to drop its speed. There is a support article with a fix. To surmize:

After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the transfer mode) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues to receive time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode).

Appearently you may have received some error conditions that caused it to drop from DMA mode 4 to DMA mode 2. If you have a spare ribbon cable, you may want to try swapping it out. Also, if there is another device on the same channel as the DVD drive, try disconnecting it.

Also, try Wusy's suggestion. The nForce IDE drivers were known to cause problems. I don't know if that has been fixed.

The_Lightning_Stalker

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Also, check the device manager and make sure it's running in DMA mode and not PIO mode.
The disc the drive burned was written in PIO mode. It took a while (the drive was doing a lot of buffer underrun correcting trying to burn at 16x) but the disc came out okay. After I switched to DMA mode was when the problems started.

Have you any recomendations on a drive i should get when it happens again
The people in the IRC channel I frequent swear by the Pioneer drives. These are the ones Apple uses, so you can bet that they've been doing high volume for a while and know their stuff by now. One other guy likes his NEC. Wal-Mart didn't have any of those brands, so I gut a HP dvd840x instead. I haven't tried burning anything yet though so I dunno how well it works. It has the LightScribe thing that can burn the labels on the discs so that should be interesting.

Cheers
The Lightning Stalker

r4yr4y

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hi,I'm not sure how old this thread is but I'm having a problem with my dvd/rw drive as well.Same model,lite on dvdrw shw-160p6s.The problem I'm facing is this.When I insert a brand new blank cd-r and try to use the defult windoes burning routine it tells me to insert a blank disc.Any help would be highly appreciated as I'm getting ready to format my hard drive and I need to back up some pictures and music to a disc.

I've tried to resoolve it from Hawkeye22's posts which are more then helpful but the problem I get from that is my transfer rate is set to ultra dma mode 5 and I'm unable to configure that.

arelem

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If anyone is still interested in this topic let me tell my story. I have a 160P6S drive and it has a marked tendency to make coasters out of DVDR disks. I have tried all of the recommendations shown here, including the most recent firmware (PS0C). The only thing I have been able to come up with that really works is, when I want to actually burn a DVD I go into device manager and uninstall it. Then a cold re-boot. If Windows does not come back showing that it has found the new DVDR drive, I do it again. Once the system goes through a cold restart and finds and re-loads the new hardware then I can burn DVDs. (I use Roxio and Ulead on my box.) It's a clunky way of doing things, and I am saving my shekels for a better burner, but in the meantime, it works.

Gostars2006

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

I had that problem using cheap discs then I "borrowed" some Sony dvds from work and they burned everytime