DNS and DHCP

Hi Gurus,
I have windows server 2000 as Domain Controller running on a
network. I have also installed DHCP and DNS running on same server. The IP
address of servers is as follow:
Windows 2000 (Static): 192.168.4.10
DNS ( Static): 192.168.4.10
DHCP is configured to assign 192.168.4.10 as DNS server address.

The clients are Windows XP professional.They can get their iP configurations
from DHCP but they can not access Internet. There is a Link sys Router
installed on LAN to access high speed Internet. The DHCP of Router is
disabled.
How should I configure DNS or DHCP to resolve doamin names?.
I know the IP addresses of ISP DNS servers. When I looked in the properties
of DNS server to forward the DNS requests to ISP DNS servers it is grayed out.

When I add ISP DNS ip addresses to my server, it can access internet but
when i put back the ip address of Domain Controller it can not.
When I tried to add static ISP DNS server's IP addresses they can not access
interent as well.
It is single Domain LAN.

Is there any body can help me?

Younis George
younisg@hotmail.com
1 answer Last reply
More about dhcp

    In news:7C312E55-1FC0-412C-AE3A-9E79B0771492@microsoft.com,
    George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hi Gurus,
    > I have windows server 2000 as Domain Controller running
    > on a network. I have also installed DHCP and DNS running on same
    > server. The IP address of servers is as follow:
    > Windows 2000 (Static): 192.168.4.10
    > DNS ( Static): 192.168.4.10
    > DHCP is configured to assign 192.168.4.10 as DNS server address.
    >
    > The clients are Windows XP professional.They can get their iP
    > configurations from DHCP but they can not access Internet. There is a
    > Link sys Router installed on LAN to access high speed Internet. The
    > DHCP of Router is disabled.
    > How should I configure DNS or DHCP to resolve doamin names?.
    > I know the IP addresses of ISP DNS servers. When I looked in the
    > properties of DNS server to forward the DNS requests to ISP DNS
    > servers it is grayed out.
    >
    > When I add ISP DNS ip addresses to my server, it can access internet
    > but
    > when i put back the ip address of Domain Controller it can not.
    > When I tried to add static ISP DNS server's IP addresses they can not
    > access interent as well.
    > It is single Domain LAN.
    >
    > Is there any body can help me?
    >
    > Younis George
    > younisg@hotmail.com

    Easy fix!
    In your DNS server, delete the Root zone. It is a zone that looks like a
    period.
    Then refresh the console, or close it and re-opent it, then configure your
    forwarder to your ISP's DNS server. Here are these steps if not clear:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300202

    Just make sure you keep your config where you do not use the ISP in any
    machine other than the forwarder!
    :-)

    Hope that helps you out!

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --

DHCP Internet Service Providers DNS Windows