login server

In a W2K server and W2K Pro environment with Active
Directory (all SP4), how does a client find a login
server? The reason I'm asking is occassionally we will
find clients in our New York office being logged on by
DC's in our Boston office even though the New York office
has global catalog servers which were up at the time. We
have even noticed Boston clients being logged on by Munich
DC's. This creates a problem since the GP scripts will
run from the logon server, which can take a long time
especially if the client is authenticating across the
ocean.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks to Gil Kirkpatrick :
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=37935