dns name resolution

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hi,

I'am having a problem in dns server. when a system gets a
IP from dhcp the information gets added in the dns.when i
give the static ip and try to ping the system with the
name it trys to ping with old Ip(which assigned by dhcp
server) and displays request timed out. But when i try to
ping with static ip it pings.

How do i solve the problem?

Thanks and regards
Girish

In news:619001c4928a$dae3c980$a301280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
made a post then I commented below
> Hi Ace,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> The scenario what i'am facing is like this:
>
> The system was assigned a ip by the dhcp server and the
> computer name is 'comp1'.
>
> Now i have assigned the system a static ip address and the
> system is not a part of the domain and it is on workgroup.
>
> Now when i try to ping the system by computer name(comp1),
> it trys to ping with old ip address( assigned by DHCP)and
> displays Request timed out, but when i ping with new
> static IP address it pings and resolves the name.
> But with the computer name it is not happening.
>
> Now where to find and delete the old IP record and update
> the new static ip record.
>
> Whether the static ip entry wiil be updated in dns or it
> should be done manually.
>

> thanks in advance.
> girish

I see, it's with the single name (NetBIOS name). Do you have WINS running?
Check the WINS database.

--
Regards,
Ace