Yet another Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe chipset issue

chrispyski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I, like so many before me, just had my northbridge chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe fail on me after lasting (suprisingly) a year. I opted to replace it with a zalman passive cooler with arctic silver 5, but I have run into a new problem.

The heatsink gets HOT...and by hot my probe starts freaking out and peaks at 55 degrees C and the computer starts freezing and your general errors pop up. (blue screens and whatnot). The only way I'm here now is because my case is open with a fan blowing on it right now.

My question I suppose is this...is there a better method to fixing this problem or should I look for some new powerfull case fans? I'm using a lian-li case with 2 80mm fans up front and 1 in back and it's just not cutting it. I'm wishing I had a side case fan right now though.

I'm not sure if this is more a case forum issue or a motherboard issue so I just posted it here.

Thanks to all who may reply.

neocristi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Hello, I am one of the many owners of ASUS A8N-E MB's (Same board as A8N-SLI except for the SLI capability that A8N-E doesn't have and I don't need).
The first thing that I done when I bought the thing was to order a Zalman NB47J. After a few days of running the board, the chipset fan started to make a enoying noise and in about a week I replaced the damn thing with the Zalman.

The new Zalman was heating up prety bad (it burned actually). I got scared.

After reading the entire "A8N-E I am you father" topic on anandtech forum I placed a 80mm silent case fan in front of the case that is blowing air directly on the shiny blue toy. The sollution works as a charm (I noticed that if a small amount of air is directed on it, it will stay cool, only warm to touch). From that point on, I raised the FSB to 240MHZ and have the CPU running at 2400Mhz from stock 2000.

The PC is rock stable (tested with prime and super pi) and I am very happy with it (It was also very cheap). :)

I, like so many before me, just had my northbridge chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe fail on me after lasting (suprisingly) a year. I opted to replace it with a zalman passive cooler with arctic silver 5, but I have run into a new problem.

The heatsink gets HOT...and by hot my probe starts freaking out and peaks at 55 degrees C and the computer starts freezing and your general errors pop up. (blue screens and whatnot). The only way I'm here now is because my case is open with a fan blowing on it right now.

My question I suppose is this...is there a better method to fixing this problem or should I look for some new powerfull case fans? I'm using a lian-li case with 2 80mm fans up front and 1 in back and it's just not cutting it. I'm wishing I had a side case fan right now though.

I'm not sure if this is more a case forum issue or a motherboard issue so I just posted it here.

Thanks to all who may reply.

As far as the 80mm exhaust fan, buy an 80mm to 120mm adapter and put a 120mm exhaust fan in there. Worked well for my heat problem. I also have a Lian Li with an 80mm exhaust. I bought an extra adapter for it.

I've heard Asus will send you a new chip fan if you contact them.

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Ya but will the new fan that Asus sends you be a peice of crap like the first one on the board....Im worried... Im sittin on a New A8N-E for my new build..CPU should be here tommarrow :-(

Ya but will the new fan that Asus sends you be a peice of crap like the first one on the board....Im worried... Im sittin on a New A8N-E for my new build..CPU should be here tommarrow :-(

I just built an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe last week. See my above post. When you get to the part where windows installation files won't load OS and gives the message 'operating system failure' PS me :D

chrispyski

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Yeah, I thought about going threw Asus for a new fan, But I was equally concerned that it too would fail in a year. I mean, taking a pair of pliers to the back of my motherboard is something I try to minimize.

I just decided to buy 2 Vantec 80mm fans that (specs say) push 84.1 CFM. I'm sure they sound like helicopters, but thats what my logitech Z-5500's are for. (and hopefully my fan controller will keep them at a reasonable RPM).