  • Cable
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
November 4, 2004 9:19:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I've read and read and read and have given up. I have a Cingular packaged
Data Connect usb cable that came with my old v60 that was *supposed* to be
compatible with my new v400. Well, from what I can tell, its only about 50%
compatible at best. I've tried 3 different OS's (98/2KP/XP) and every
combination of drivers I've seen and still can't get the BVRP Mobile Phone
Tools to transfer any of the multimedia stuff. The phone book part works,
but that's it. I've gone from the old 1.x version all the way through the
new 3.11h. I've read several forums and these newsgroups as far back as
possible and not one suggestion has panned out. I'm wondering if my
Cingular cable is the problem or if its the phone itself.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Cingular Motorola usb
cable on a v400 and mPT?

Thanks!

More about : cingular v400 usb cable mpt

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:16:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Did the cable work previously with your v60?

I once had problems using my data cable when I plugged it into a USB hub.
In fact, even my PC's front panel USB ports were problematic. If I went to
the back of the PC and used one of the USB ports that, inside the case, are
connected directly to the motherboard, it worked.

I guess the extra cable in the loop with the hub and/or the front panel
must've caused connectivity issues.

"Robby Smith" <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> wrote in

> I've read and read and read and have given up.
November 5, 2004 5:44:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

If the cable has the little box in the middle of it, then thats the problem.
at
"Robby Smith" <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> wrote in message
> I've read and read and read and have given up. I have a Cingular packaged
> Data Connect usb cable that came with my old v60 that was *supposed* to be
> compatible with my new v400. Well, from what I can tell, its only about
> 50% compatible at best. I've tried 3 different OS's (98/2KP/XP) and every
> combination of drivers I've seen and still can't get the BVRP Mobile Phone
> Tools to transfer any of the multimedia stuff. The phone book part works,
> but that's it. I've gone from the old 1.x version all the way through the
> new 3.11h. I've read several forums and these newsgroups as far back as
> possible and not one suggestion has panned out. I'm wondering if my
> Cingular cable is the problem or if its the phone itself.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience with the Cingular Motorola usb
> cable on a v400 and mPT?
>
> Thanks!

November 5, 2004 6:13:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:19:56 -0500, "Robby Smith"
<nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> said in
alt.cellular.cingular:

>I've read and read and read and have given up. I have a Cingular packaged
>Data Connect usb cable that came with my old v60 that was *supposed* to be
>compatible with my new v400. Well, from what I can tell, its only about 50%
>compatible at best. I've tried 3 different OS's (98/2KP/XP) and every
>combination of drivers I've seen and still can't get the BVRP Mobile Phone
>Tools to transfer any of the multimedia stuff. The phone book part works

Then the cable and drivers are working. (The cable and drivers don't
care what data you're transferring or where in the phone it'll end
up.) Look elsewhere for your problem.
November 5, 2004 7:46:19 AM

"Al Klein" <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:19:56 -0500, "Robby Smith"
> <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> said in
> alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>I've read and read and read and have given up. I have a Cingular packaged
>>Data Connect usb cable that came with my old v60 that was *supposed* to be
>>compatible with my new v400. Well, from what I can tell, its only about
>>50%
>>compatible at best. I've tried 3 different OS's (98/2KP/XP) and every
>>combination of drivers I've seen and still can't get the BVRP Mobile Phone
>>Tools to transfer any of the multimedia stuff. The phone book part works
>
> Then the cable and drivers are working. (The cable and drivers don't
> care what data you're transferring or where in the phone it'll end
> up.) Look elsewhere for your problem.

When I tried using my futuredial/datapilot cable and mpt , the phonebook
transfer worked but I couldn't transfer ringtones or pics. Once I got the
correct oem motorola usb data cable EVERYTHING worked great. so my opinion
is the cable could be the problem

AT
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:56:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Yes, it has a little box almost 2 inches long and .5 inches thick, kinda
looks like a filter of some kind. I guess that is the problem, just the
wrong frickin cable. I should've known Cingular wouldn't package genuine
Motorola parts. Geez.....

Well, thanks for everyone's help. I'll go look for the right cable.

"AT" <yeah.asif@idputithere.com> wrote in message
> If the cable has the little box in the middle of it, then thats the
> problem.
> at
> "Robby Smith" <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> wrote in message
>> I've read and read and read and have given up. I have a Cingular
>> packaged Data Connect usb cable that came with my old v60 that was
>> *supposed* to be compatible with my new v400. Well, from what I can tell,
>> its only about 50% compatible at best. I've tried 3 different OS's
>> (98/2KP/XP) and every combination of drivers I've seen and still can't
>> get the BVRP Mobile Phone Tools to transfer any of the multimedia stuff.
>> The phone book part works, but that's it. I've gone from the old 1.x
>> version all the way through the new 3.11h. I've read several forums and
>> these newsgroups as far back as possible and not one suggestion has
>> panned out. I'm wondering if my Cingular cable is the problem or if its
>> the phone itself.
>>
>> Does anyone out there have any experience with the Cingular Motorola usb
>> cable on a v400 and mPT?
>>
>> Thanks!

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 11:40:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

i have the v60 cable and now have a v400
and i have been able to use mpt to put ringtones and wallpapers on my
phone
phonebook transfers work also
my cable has no big block in the line

can you guys point me in the direction of how to put java apps/games
on my phone

i am still the newb thanks :)

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:16:26 -0600, Newsdude <lousy@connection.com>
wrote:

>Did the cable work previously with your v60?
>
>I once had problems using my data cable when I plugged it into a USB hub.
>In fact, even my PC's front panel USB ports were problematic. If I went to
>the back of the PC and used one of the USB ports that, inside the case, are
>connected directly to the motherboard, it worked.
>
>I guess the extra cable in the loop with the hub and/or the front panel
>must've caused connectivity issues.
>
>"Robby Smith" <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> wrote in
>
>> I've read and read and read and have given up.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 12:28:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <vADid.44695$hr3.1645081@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
"AT" <yeah.asif@idputithere.com> wrote:

> When I tried using my futuredial/datapilot cable and mpt , the phonebook
> transfer worked but I couldn't transfer ringtones or pics. Once I got the
> correct oem motorola usb data cable EVERYTHING worked great. so my opinion
> is the cable could be the problem
>
> AT

One can often find the Genuine OEM Motorola Cable on eBay for cheap.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 3:13:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

> Well, thanks for everyone's help. I'll go look for the right cable.

Please let us know if that worked for you...
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=30...

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:16:26 -0600, Newsdude <lousy@connection.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Did the cable work previously with your v60?
> >
> >I once had problems using my data cable when I plugged it into a USB hub.
> >In fact, even my PC's front panel USB ports were problematic. If I went to
> >the back of the PC and used one of the USB ports that, inside the case, are
> >connected directly to the motherboard, it worked.
> >
> >I guess the extra cable in the loop with the hub and/or the front panel
> >must've caused connectivity issues.
> >
> >"Robby Smith" <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> wrote in
> >
> >> I've read and read and read and have given up.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:22:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

thanks
trying it at work at the momeny on win2k and having trouble with the
drivier installations
the little yellow ! wont go away from the drivers
guess i'll try xp at home tonite

thanks for the linky :)

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:22:12 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <vv3no0tc7d23v8inia7ofk1qc9ontjh7do@4ax.com>,
> jilted <deeze@nutz.com> wrote:
>
>> i have the v60 cable and now have a v400
>> and i have been able to use mpt to put ringtones and wallpapers on my
>> phone
>> phonebook transfers work also
>> my cable has no big block in the line
>>
>> can you guys point me in the direction of how to put java apps/games
>> on my phone
>>
>> i am still the newb thanks :)
>
>http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=30...
>

>> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 02:16:26 -0600, Newsdude <lousy@connection.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Did the cable work previously with your v60?
>> >
>> >I once had problems using my data cable when I plugged it into a USB hub.
>> >In fact, even my PC's front panel USB ports were problematic. If I went to
>> >the back of the PC and used one of the USB ports that, inside the case, are
>> >connected directly to the motherboard, it worked.
>> >
>> >I guess the extra cable in the loop with the hub and/or the front panel
>> >must've caused connectivity issues.
>> >
>> >"Robby Smith" <nospam.robbysmith@nospam.robbysmith.com> wrote in

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 8:51:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <2v1qjfF2g4dfpU1@uni-berlin.de>,
"John F" <Blondjohn7@hotmale.com> wrote:

> > Well, thanks for everyone's help. I'll go look for the right cable.
> >
> Please let us know if that worked for you...

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
3370&rd=1>

These are the guys I got a USB cable thats worked great with a v400 and
a v600.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 6:09:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:28:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>One can often find the Genuine OEM Motorola Cable on eBay for cheap.

One can find genuine Motorola cables at a Nextel store.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 6:49:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <42goo01sp0c5o6490gdhnt5f9bu99l49vb@4ax.com>,
Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:28:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
> >One can often find the Genuine OEM Motorola Cable on eBay for cheap.
>
> One can find genuine Motorola cables at a Nextel store.

If you want to pay $34.99 + sales tax, instead of $14.99 + shipping.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 6:01:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 03:49:43 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>In article <42goo01sp0c5o6490gdhnt5f9bu99l49vb@4ax.com>,
> Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:28:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>> >One can often find the Genuine OEM Motorola Cable on eBay for cheap.
>>
>> One can find genuine Motorola cables at a Nextel store.
>
>If you want to pay $34.99 + sales tax, instead of $14.99 + shipping.

I don't charge $34.99.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:15:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <8pppo01mmb8hiq3ueirnbth5v4i3p2e7p3@4ax.com> on Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:01:33
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 03:49:43 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>In article <42goo01sp0c5o6490gdhnt5f9bu99l49vb@4ax.com>,
>> Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>> One can find genuine Motorola cables at a Nextel store.
>>
>>If you want to pay $34.99 + sales tax, instead of $14.99 + shipping.
>
>I don't charge $34.99.

In other words, you've been plugging your own business? That explains a lot.

November 6, 2004 10:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <8pppo01mmb8hiq3ueirnbth5v4i3p2e7p3@4ax.com>,
Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 03:49:43 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
> >In article <42goo01sp0c5o6490gdhnt5f9bu99l49vb@4ax.com>,
> > Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

> >> One can find genuine Motorola cables at a Nextel store.
> >
> >If you want to pay $34.99 + sales tax, instead of $14.99 + shipping.
>
> I don't charge $34.99.

I was going by www.nextel.com
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:51:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:15:46 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>In <8pppo01mmb8hiq3ueirnbth5v4i3p2e7p3@4ax.com> on Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:01:33
>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>>If you want to pay $34.99 + sales tax, instead of $14.99 + shipping.

>>I don't charge $34.99.

>In other words, you've been plugging your own business?

I have no idea where the OP lives and/or shops, so no. I'm not even
offering to send him one. I'm sure he can find a Nextel dealer
himself.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:54:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:26:29 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>I was going by www.nextel.com

I don't work for them, I just sell their products - as an independent.
But I consider usenet to be personal entertainment, not an advertising
venue. If I know something that I think might help someone I post it.
I wouldn't feel comfortable selling to someone I met on usenet.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 4:40:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <ja3ro0hvhhpvvu2g0f1ta1qsb4ge3djlef@4ax.com> on Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:51:37
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:15:46 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>In <8pppo01mmb8hiq3ueirnbth5v4i3p2e7p3@4ax.com> on Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:01:33
>>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>>I don't charge $34.99.
>
>>In other words, you've been plugging your own business?
>
>I have no idea where the OP lives and/or shops, so no. I'm not even
>offering to send him one. I'm sure he can find a Nextel dealer
>himself.

In other words, you are plugging your own business when you recommend going to
a Nextel store. You should make that clear.

November 8, 2004 4:40:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <7f3ro0pge1ut6mcifmui5aqcj3lo6q5j7i@4ax.com> on Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:54:30
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:26:29 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>I was going by www.nextel.com
>
>I don't work for them, I just sell their products - as an independent.
>But I consider usenet to be personal entertainment, not an advertising
>venue. If I know something that I think might help someone I post it.
>I wouldn't feel comfortable selling to someone I met on usenet.

Using this forum in that way is specifically prohibited by the charter.

November 8, 2004 5:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:04 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>In other words, you are plugging your own business when you recommend going to
>a Nextel store. You should make that clear.

Unless he goes to MY store, no. Where do you get the idea that I get
a nickel if he buys a Nextel cable from someone else?
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 5:47:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:56 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>Using this forum in that way is specifically prohibited by the charter.

Telling someone that a store with which I have absolutely no
connection may carry what he wants is prohibited by the charter? Then
I hope that no one tells anyone where to buy anything here.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 6:28:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <sdnto09dbjmqh56qmgvaqto037ocp56g8b@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:46:01
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:04 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>In other words, you are plugging your own business when you recommend going to
>>a Nextel store. You should make that clear.
>
>Unless he goes to MY store, no. Where do you get the idea that I get
>a nickel if he buys a Nextel cable from someone else?

I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own advice.

November 8, 2004 6:32:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <ifnto0p908lpdh9l3suc4pg3q5qjgmcrdg@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:47:04
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:56 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>Using this forum in that way is specifically prohibited by the charter.
>
>Telling someone that a store with which I have absolutely no
>connection may carry what he wants is prohibited by the charter?

Your interest in such stores is a connection.

>Then
>I hope that no one tells anyone where to buy anything here.

The issue is your (undisclosed) interest, which makes the advice an ad.

November 8, 2004 6:32:12 AM

> In <ifnto0p908lpdh9l3suc4pg3q5qjgmcrdg@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004
02:47:04
> GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:56 GMT, John Navas
> ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
> >
> >>Using this forum in that way is specifically prohibited by the charter.
> >
> >Telling someone that a store with which I have absolutely no
> >connection may carry what he wants is prohibited by the charter?
>
> Your interest in such stores is a connection.
>
> >Then
> >I hope that no one tells anyone where to buy anything here.
>
> The issue is your (undisclosed) interest, which makes the advice an ad.
>
> --

Unless your beloved charter specifically mentions it, your own definition
would also pertain to Cingular employees wishing to remain anonymous who
choose to give advice that could have a material effect on subscriber
numbers. If this is indeed the case, your definition is too broad, and
would go against the rest of the charter, thereby making it null and void.
If this isn't the case, then you are selectively choosing violators of your
charter, which would also violate both the charter and the rules by which
this group was set up. Either way, you don't need to play charter police
here.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 11:44:33 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:28:55 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <sdnto09dbjmqh56qmgvaqto037ocp56g8b@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:46:01
>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:04 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>>>In other words, you are plugging your own business when you recommend going to
>>>a Nextel store. You should make that clear.
>>
>>Unless he goes to MY store, no. Where do you get the idea that I get
>>a nickel if he buys a Nextel cable from someone else?
>
>I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own advice.

John,
IMO you're off-base on this one! But then it is "your" group!
Poster's beware !
Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think it was
Al's..... They didn't even seem to know what a data cable was. Strangely
the AT&T Wireless store is till open. They have the data cable, $34.99,
but not the software.
Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?
(www.motoclub.com doesn't seem to work here.) I have the V400 phone.

Jack Mac
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 5:47:09 PM

"Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

!
> Poster's beware !
> Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think
> it was
> Al's..... They didn't even seem to know what a data cable was. Strangely
> the AT&T Wireless store is till open. They have the data cable, $34.99,
> but not the software.
> Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?
> (www.motoclub.com doesn't seem to work here.) I have the V400 phone.

I got mine on E-Bay, with Mobile Phone Tools for
a much cheaper price, so far, no troubles at all.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 6:09:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <jltuo0dfgpk0500le6fm6v2561abvinoui@4ax.com>,
Jack Mac <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:28:55 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com>
> wrote:
>
> >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> >In <sdnto09dbjmqh56qmgvaqto037ocp56g8b@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:46:01
> >GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

> >>Unless he goes to MY store, no. Where do you get the idea that I get
> >>a nickel if he buys a Nextel cable from someone else?
> >
> >I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own
> >advice.
>
> John,
> IMO you're off-base on this one! But then it is "your" group!
> Poster's beware !
> Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think it
> was
> Al's..... They didn't even seem to know what a data cable was. Strangely
> the AT&T Wireless store is till open. They have the data cable, $34.99,
> but not the software.
> Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?
> (www.motoclub.com doesn't seem to work here.) I have the V400 phone.
>
> Jack Mac

Try

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/

before they get taken down.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 6:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

just trying to make this thread a little more on topic and a little
less childish bantering

i was able to get the java loader unlocked and got some games
installed... thanks for the help

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:20:52 -0600, jilted <deeze@nutz.com> wrote:

>thanks
>trying it at work at the momeny on win2k and having trouble with the
>drivier installations
>the little yellow ! wont go away from the drivers
>guess i'll try xp at home tonite
>
>thanks for the linky :)
>
>On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:22:12 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <vv3no0tc7d23v8inia7ofk1qc9ontjh7do@4ax.com>,
>> jilted <deeze@nutz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> i have the v60 cable and now have a v400
>>> and i have been able to use mpt to put ringtones and wallpapers on my
>>> phone
>>> phonebook transfers work also
>>> my cable has no big block in the line
>>>
>>> can you guys point me in the direction of how to put java apps/games
>>> on my phone
>>>
>>> i am still the newb thanks :)
>>
>>http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=30...

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:31:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <jltuo0dfgpk0500le6fm6v2561abvinoui@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:44:33
-0500, Jack Mac <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:28:55 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>In <sdnto09dbjmqh56qmgvaqto037ocp56g8b@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:46:01
>>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>>Unless he goes to MY store, no. Where do you get the idea that I get
>>>a nickel if he buys a Nextel cable from someone else?
>>
>>I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own advice.
>
>John,
>IMO you're off-base on this one! But then it is "your" group!
>Poster's beware !
>Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think it was
>Al's..... They didn't even seem to know what a data cable was. Strangely
>the AT&T Wireless store is till open. They have the data cable, $34.99,
>but not the software.
>Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?
>(www.motoclub.com doesn't seem to work here.) I have the V400 phone.

Jack,
Since you're so polite and gracious, I'll return the "favor" by answering your
question: $18 for USB cable and PhoneTools software (P/N 98571) at
www.shopoem.com
-John
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:56:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <mvCdndNbi9pVchPcRVn-sg@adelphia.com> on Sun, 7 Nov 2004 21:03:03 -0700,
"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>> In <ifnto0p908lpdh9l3suc4pg3q5qjgmcrdg@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004
>02:47:04
>> GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>> >Then
>> >I hope that no one tells anyone where to buy anything here.
>>
>> The issue is your (undisclosed) interest, which makes the advice an ad.

>Unless your beloved charter specifically mentions it,

Here's what it says (in part):

Inappropriate (banned) articles:
* Commercial advertisements, "infomercials," or announcements

>your own definition
>would also pertain to Cingular employees wishing to remain anonymous who
>choose to give advice that could have a material effect on subscriber
>numbers.

1. One can remain anonymous on Usenet without hiding an interest.

2. The Charter would indeed apply to promotion of and advice to buy products
and services, but not necessarily to other things that "could have a material
effect on subscriber numbers."

>If this is indeed the case, your definition is too broad, and
>would go against the rest of the charter, thereby making it null and void.

That's a straw man argument.

>If this isn't the case, then you are selectively choosing violators of your
>charter, which would also violate both the charter and the rules by which
>this group was set up.

That's not the case.

>Either way, you don't need to play charter police
>here.

I'm not, just politely asking that the charter be repected.

For good official advice in this area, see
"Advertising on Usenet: How To Do It, How Not To Do It"
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/advertising/how-to/part...;

In particular:

On the other hand, if you post meaningful, responsible messages in
groups you're actually interested in, and those messages happen to
have the address of your Web page tacked on at the end, few people
will complain.

Just keep .signature advertisements extremely short and sweet. Let
your Web page contain the sales pitch -- the .signature should
usually be little more than a listing of your URL and perhaps a
mention of what sort of business you're in.

For example:

From: Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org>
Subject: Re: Cingular v400 usb cable and mPT

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:28:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>One can often find the Genuine OEM Motorola Cable on eBay for cheap.

One can also find genuine Motorola cables at retail carrier and independent
dealers, and cables from other carriers (e.g., Nextel, which may be less
expensive) will work with Cingular-branded phones.

--
Al Klein
Nextel sales and service in My City, New York

That provides useful on-topic information, fair disclosure of interest, and
even a way for interested parties to make a sale contact, all within the
context of the Charter and Usenet guidelines.

November 9, 2004 12:02:12 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:31:02 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <jltuo0dfgpk0500le6fm6v2561abvinoui@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:44:33
>-0500, Jack Mac <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:28:55 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>>I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own advice.
>>
>>John,
>>IMO you're off-base on this one! But then it is "your" group!
>>Poster's beware !
>>Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think it was
>>Al's..... They didn't even seem to know what a data cable was. Strangely
>>the AT&T Wireless store is till open. They have the data cable, $34.99,
>>but not the software.
>>Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?
>>(www.motoclub.com doesn't seem to work here.) I have the V400 phone.
>
>Jack,
>Since you're so polite and gracious, I'll return the "favor" by answering your
>question: $18 for USB cable and PhoneTools software (P/N 98571) at
>www.shopoem.com
>-John

Flattery will get you brownie points!
Thanks for the site. I ordered one.
Jack Mac
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:36:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In article <h6ovo05gc7ttmf2prq32a77nvr45d543ct@4ax.com>,
jilted <deeze@nutz.com> wrote:

> just trying to make this thread a little more on topic and a little
> less childish bantering
>
> i was able to get the java loader unlocked and got some games
> installed... thanks for the help

you're welcome. Thats the advantage of owning a Motorola v400/600, so
many have been sold worldwide, you can Google for just about any help
question.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 1:48:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

John,

No offense, but I think you are holding yourself a bit too tight on this
one.

Rich

> In <ifnto0p908lpdh9l3suc4pg3q5qjgmcrdg@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004
> 02:47:04
> GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:56 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>>>Using this forum in that way is specifically prohibited by the charter.
>>
>>Telling someone that a store with which I have absolutely no
>>connection may carry what he wants is prohibited by the charter?
>
> Your interest in such stores is a connection.
>
>>Then
>>I hope that no one tells anyone where to buy anything here.
>
> The issue is your (undisclosed) interest, which makes the advice an ad.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:24:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <jzwick3-4B7A78.09092208112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Mon, 08 Nov
2004 15:09:22 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Try
>
>[SNIP]
>
>before they get taken down.

Do you steal other things besides software?

November 9, 2004 5:18:10 AM

In <s690p01r7ujol7ejug7ni8dimlttbiubra@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:02:12
-0500, Jack Mac <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Flattery will get you brownie points!

I of course live for brownie points. :)

November 9, 2004 6:00:03 AM

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:31:02 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com>
> wrote:
>
> >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> >In <jltuo0dfgpk0500le6fm6v2561abvinoui@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:44:33
> >-0500, Jack Mac <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> >>John,
> >>IMO you're off-base on this one! But then it is "your" group!
> >>Poster's beware !
> >>Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think
> >>it was
> >>Al's..... They didn't even seem to know what a data cable was. Strangely
> >>the AT&T Wireless store is till open. They have the data cable, $34.99,
> >>but not the software.
> >>Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?
> >>(www.motoclub.com doesn't seem to work here.) I have the V400 phone.
> >
> >Jack,
> >Since you're so polite and gracious, I'll return the "favor" by answering
> >your
> >question: $18 for USB cable and PhoneTools software (P/N 98571) at
> >www.shopoem.com
> >-John

Sounds like unpermitted SPAM to me. Check the charter!!
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:28:55 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <sdnto09dbjmqh56qmgvaqto037ocp56g8b@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:46:01
>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:04 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>>>In other words, you are plugging your own business when you recommend going to
>>>a Nextel store. You should make that clear.
>>
>>Unless he goes to MY store, no. Where do you get the idea that I get
>>a nickel if he buys a Nextel cable from someone else?
>
>I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own advice.

And you in yours. Does that mean that you can't give it?

You said, "you are plugging your own business when you recommend going
to a Nextel store ..." No more than I'm plugging it by recommending
Nokia phones or Staples for office supplies.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:20:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:44:33 -0500, Jack Mac <camkcaj@bellsouth.net>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>John,
>IMO you're off-base on this one! But then it is "your" group!

Oops. My news reader insists on prepending "alt" to the front of
John's group's name. Bad newsreader, bad!

>Poster's beware !
>Incidentally, I went to the Nextel store here yesterday.... I don't think it was
>Al's.

It's not - I sell Nextel, but it's not a Nextel store. :)

>Anyone know where the software can be downloaded or obtained?

www.susteen.com/drivers.htm

I don't know whether any of their drivers will work on the V400, but
try them.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:31:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:32:11 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>In <ifnto0p908lpdh9l3suc4pg3q5qjgmcrdg@4ax.com> on Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:47:04
>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:40:56 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>>>Using this forum in that way is specifically prohibited by the charter.
>>
>>Telling someone that a store with which I have absolutely no
>>connection may carry what he wants is prohibited by the charter?
>
>Your interest in such stores is a connection.

Intellectual interest? No it's not.

Financial interest? I have none.

>>Then
>>I hope that no one tells anyone where to buy anything here.
>
>The issue is your (undisclosed) interest, which makes the advice an ad.

Not unless I at least own Nextel stock, which I don't. I could care
less whether Nextel stores sell anything. (In fact, if all the local
ones closed I'd make more money.)
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:42:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:56:24 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>Inappropriate (banned) articles:
>* Commercial advertisements, "infomercials," or announcements

Question:

Is mentioning a brand name a commercial advertisement? Or is it only
one if the person mentioning it has a pecuniary interest in the (hoped
for) subsequent purchase?

> On the other hand, if you post meaningful, responsible messages in
> groups you're actually interested in, and those messages happen to
> have the address of your Web page tacked on at the end, few people
> will complain.

Not even, in this case. My advice was to go to a Nextel store, one of
which I do not own. If he buys 10 million cables from a Nextel store
I'll make as much from the purchase as you will - zip.

> Just keep .signature advertisements extremely short and sweet.

I refuse. I keep mine non-existent. I don't want customers from
usenet, unless someone, knowing that I sell cellphones, emails me - I
won't solicit business here. I come here after the store is closed.

My advice was NOT a solicitation for business.

> Let
> your Web page contain the sales pitch -- the .signature should
> usually be little more than a listing of your URL and perhaps a
> mention of what sort of business you're in.

BTW, the carriers don't want sales from web pages - regardless of the
fact that there are thousands of dot coms selling cell phones.

>For example:

> From: Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org>
> Subject: Re: Cingular v400 usb cable and mPT

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:28:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

> >One can often find the Genuine OEM Motorola Cable on eBay for cheap.

> One can also find genuine Motorola cables at retail carrier and independent
> dealers, and cables from other carriers (e.g., Nextel, which may be less
> expensive) will work with Cingular-branded phones.

> --
> Al Klein
> Nextel sales and service in My City, New York
> <http://klein-sales.example.com&gt; 800-555-1212

Your misunderstanding:

Al Klein
Independent cellphone sales and service (including Carrier A,
Carrier B and Carrier C [which happens to be Nextel]) in My City, New
York
<http://klein-sales.example.com&gt; 800-555-1212

(I won't even take THIS "opportunity" to advertise. If you know my
store, drop in and say hello. Many of my customers do that. If you
want to know where it is, email me. My knowledge has a place on
usenet. The fact that I'm a dealer has a place on usenet. IMO, my
advertising has no place on usenet, even if you do allow a single line
or two.)
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:37:50 PM

In <jzwick3-02C78B.21000308112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Tue, 09 Nov
2004 03:00:03 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:31:02 GMT, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Jack,
>> >Since you're so polite and gracious, I'll return the "favor" by answering
>> >your
>> >question: $18 for USB cable and PhoneTools software (P/N 98571) at
>> >www.shopoem.com
>> >-John
>
>Sounds like unpermitted SPAM to me.

It's not.

>Check the charter!!

Take your own advice.

November 9, 2004 4:38:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <3bd0p0psl6vu5ck2r8jviapggdj1tbq2nj@4ax.com> on Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:13:41
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:28:55 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>>I didn't say that. You nonetheless have a vested interest in your own advice.
>
>And you in yours.

Not true.

November 9, 2004 4:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In <uge0p0d81rtm41onhvucvgsj074ppukck4@4ax.com> on Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:42:53
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:56:24 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>Inappropriate (banned) articles:
>>* Commercial advertisements, "infomercials," or announcements
>
>Question:
>
>Is mentioning a brand name a commercial advertisement? Or is it only
>one if the person mentioning it has a pecuniary interest in the (hoped
>for) subsequent purchase?

I'm sure you know the answer. ;-)

>> Let
>> your Web page contain the sales pitch -- the .signature should
>> usually be little more than a listing of your URL and perhaps a
>> mention of what sort of business you're in.
>
>BTW, the carriers don't want sales from web pages -

Actually they do, both their own and their resellers.

hotels