is there a limit for bios update please help

zakzak

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
wen he tell me that he want to restart to flash the bios i click yes to restart but
wen he is booting up befor the mother baord logo a black screen appear and nothing happens

zakzak

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
yes the pc and the windows load normaly wen i press restart wen the black screen appears the bios is not workin not from the windows or bootable floppy
and i have download them 5 times i tried the .exe and i tried the bootable from floppy

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Remove the floppy and try to boot normally from power off. When you start the machine, does it boot normally without you pressing any key or doing anything else?

zakzak

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
yes he boot normaly but he do the black screen only once wen i trie to flash the bios but the rest of the time he boot normaly wen i tried to flash the bios the black screen appear wen i restart he boot normaly but he tell me that the bios update has completed succesfuly and wen i turn the pc off and try to boot normaly to the windows he will boot normaly like nothing happens

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Can you use cpu-z or look durring the POST to see if the new bios is installed or your old one is present? If the new one is installed and it loads into windows I don't see what the problem is. The other thing you can try if the new bios is installed is load the previous one back in and see if your problem goes away.

zakzak

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
when he tells me the bios update was succedet but i tried cpu z and other software he the same version of the last bios he didint updated

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Then the new bios isn't installing. Something may be wrong with it. Try downloading it from a different source or get an older bios, maybe one or two versions back, and install it and see if the problem goes away.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
It's not. But if you install the older version and the problem goes away then you'll know that new bios is your problem. Just make sure the older version supports all your hardware.

zakzak

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
my problem solved i just placed the jumper at config postion and i restore the setting at deffault and i instald the older bios than i instald the new one it workd fine thanx for your help

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well the only note of caution I'd make is to only update the BIOS if you need to i.e. fixes a problem or support a new cpu upgrade etc. In the past it was a DOS only job with boot floppy, not much effort really but enough to serve as a check.

My last ASUS board installed an update tool that included a Windows BIOS update utility. I've never really trusted them in the past but I weakened and used it a few times, it's a terrible convenience thing to have. The last time I used it, it happily downloaded the BIOS file and promptly failed towards the end of the write process (and no option to keep the boot block either).

Thankfully I was able to get a replacement chip from ASUS cheaply, however, not without getting my ears chewed off by a support technician. So I've learnt to be a little more cautious and that I doubt I'll ever trust a WIndows BIOS flash utility again.

Karl

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I've never trusted that utility either. I always use a dos disk. I rarely upgrade bios once my system is working because most upgrades only give enhanced compatibility for cpu's and memory. When a new one comes out I always read the release notes to see what they did and determin if it was worth while. As a matter of fact my last board, a DFI, actually overclocked better with an older bios in it.