Linux and Windows DNS

Hi-
Does anyone know of a way to get Redhat to register a machine name with an
AD DNS server like Windows clients do? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about linux windows

    In news:OnYK0IQlEHA.2140@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    GC <gc@gc.com> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi-
    > Does anyone know of a way to get Redhat to register a
    > machine name with an AD DNS server like Windows clients
    > do? Thanks.

    Win2k DHCP can register for clients that don't support Dynamic DNS.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    This may be a stupid question, but how do I set that up?

    In news:OmPA0oQlEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    GC <gc@gc.com> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > This may be a stupid question, but how do I set that up?

    It is not a stupid question, are you using Win2k DHCP now, or are you using
    DHCP on a router?

    If you have DHCP on a router you'll need to disable it and configure DHCP on
    Win2k, when running the DHCP setup wizard one of the questions will be for a
    domain name, this will be used in option 015 and will be the domain
    registration takes place in. The DNS server that is used is the DNS servers
    listed in TCP/IP properties of the machine DHCP is running on.

    TO configure DHCP to register always right click on either the server or
    scope in the DHCP console and choose properties. Use the Setting "Always
    update DNS" IIRC that should register any client that does not support DDNS.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:

    I'm using Windows DHCP server. I checked off those settings and will see if
    it works. Thanks for the help!

    > In news:OmPA0oQlEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > GC <gc@gc.com> wrote their comments
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > This may be a stupid question, but how do I set that up?
    >
    > It is not a stupid question, are you using Win2k DHCP now, or are you
    using
    > DHCP on a router?
    >
    > If you have DHCP on a router you'll need to disable it and configure DHCP
    on
    > Win2k, when running the DHCP setup wizard one of the questions will be for
    > domain name, this will be used in option 015 and will be the domain
    > registration takes place in. The DNS server that is used is the DNS
    servers
    > listed in TCP/IP properties of the machine DHCP is running on.
    >
    > TO configure DHCP to register always right click on either the server or
    > scope in the DHCP console and choose properties. Use the Setting "Always
    > update DNS" IIRC that should register any client that does not support
    DDNS.

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]