forced to turn off our DNS: use hosts files!

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 8, 2004 6:02:54 AM

Soon we have to turn off our own administered DNS Server because we
must use a central DNS from the main office. Because the desired
standard doesn't allow us to add any entries on the central DNS we are
forced to change the local hosts-files on our workstations (100). Does
anybody know a way to use a central hosts-file?

Paolo
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:12:44 AM

"DjPaolo" <djpaolo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Soon we have to turn off our own administered DNS Server because we
> must use a central DNS from the main office. Because the desired
> standard doesn't allow us to add any entries on the central DNS we are
> forced to change the local hosts-files on our workstations (100). Does
> anybody know a way to use a central hosts-file?

This isn't a feature of Windows -- you can fake it with
a script (e.g., startup script) if you can get the machine
that far without an update each time.

BUT, if you are using Win2000 domains this is an
impractical solution.

Either they allow you to maintain a secondary and accept
your dynamic updates if you DC is in their zone OR (better)
they delegate to your CHILD ZONE and let you run it for
AD.

Perhaps you should explain your precise Windows Domain
situation and DC placement....

--
Herb Martin

> Paolo
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 9:40:46 PM

On 8 Sep 2004 02:02:54 -0700, djpaolo@hotmail.com (DjPaolo) wrote:

>Soon we have to turn off our own administered DNS Server because we
>must use a central DNS from the main office. Because the desired
>standard doesn't allow us to add any entries on the central DNS we are
>forced to change the local hosts-files on our workstations (100). Does
>anybody know a way to use a central hosts-file?

Discuss this with your DNS admin to be sure it's what you need and
they need to do. Centralized hosts files aren't terribly practical,
and realistically you shouldn't be using them.

I would think if this was an AD ebvironemnt you'd be delegated your
child domain, but that's both a decision that may be out of your hands
and dependent on your setup, tree/forest/child arrangement and so on.
Do you have your own DC and control over the child domain?

Or the other side is rethink why you need to update your DNS.

Jeff
September 15, 2004 2:55:14 AM

We have a W2K AD environment and we can administer our own child
domain. The only problem is gonna be the DNS administration because
that's gonna be out of our hands soon (decision is made by superiors
in the main office).

Jeff & Herb, thanks for your support and I've now created a way to
distribute the hosts file to the clients with the login-script.

Paolo

jeff.nospam@zina.com (Jeff Cochran) wrote in message news:<414f4348.1368861128@msnews.microsoft.com>...
> On 8 Sep 2004 02:02:54 -0700, djpaolo@hotmail.com (DjPaolo) wrote:
>
> >Soon we have to turn off our own administered DNS Server because we
> >must use a central DNS from the main office. Because the desired
> >standard doesn't allow us to add any entries on the central DNS we are
> >forced to change the local hosts-files on our workstations (100). Does
> >anybody know a way to use a central hosts-file?
>
> Discuss this with your DNS admin to be sure it's what you need and
> they need to do. Centralized hosts files aren't terribly practical,
> and realistically you shouldn't be using them.
>
> I would think if this was an AD ebvironemnt you'd be delegated your
> child domain, but that's both a decision that may be out of your hands
> and dependent on your setup, tree/forest/child arrangement and so on.
> Do you have your own DC and control over the child domain?
>
> Or the other side is rethink why you need to update your DNS.
>
> Jeff
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:46:10 PM

Good luck - I hope it goes well.

I'm sure you know this already but this is a really, really bad idea.

> We have a W2K AD environment and we can administer our own child
> domain. The only problem is gonna be the DNS administration because
> that's gonna be out of our hands soon (decision is made by superiors
> in the main office).
>
> Jeff & Herb, thanks for your support and I've now created a way to
> distribute the hosts file to the clients with the login-script.
>
> Paolo
>

> jeff.nospam@zina.com (Jeff Cochran) wrote in message
>> On 8 Sep 2004 02:02:54 -0700, djpaolo@hotmail.com (DjPaolo) wrote:
>>
>> >Soon we have to turn off our own administered DNS Server because we
>> >must use a central DNS from the main office. Because the desired
>> >standard doesn't allow us to add any entries on the central DNS we are
>> >forced to change the local hosts-files on our workstations (100). Does
>> >anybody know a way to use a central hosts-file?
>>
>> Discuss this with your DNS admin to be sure it's what you need and
>> they need to do. Centralized hosts files aren't terribly practical,
>> and realistically you shouldn't be using them.
>>
>> I would think if this was an AD ebvironemnt you'd be delegated your
>> child domain, but that's both a decision that may be out of your hands
>> and dependent on your setup, tree/forest/child arrangement and so on.
>> Do you have your own DC and control over the child domain?
>>
>> Or the other side is rethink why you need to update your DNS.
>>
>> Jeff
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:07:18 AM

You cannot effecitvely use a Host file in place of DNS to
support AD.

It is NOT possible.

--
Herb Martin