DNS suffix

hello all,
here's the scenario: 2 dns servers in 2 different sites, one primary, one
secondary, dynamic updates, sites linked through T1, dns1:
mydns.mycompany.com, dns2: remotedns.mycompany.com
In site 1, when I ping a computer from site 2 by computername, lets say
comp1, i get replys like: pinging comp1.mydns.mycompany.com[10.x.x.x], but
that computer is registered with dns2=remotedns.mycompany.com, shouldn't I
get replies like:
pinging comp1.remotedns.mycompany.com [10.x.x.x]??

thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about suffix

    "MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello all,
    > here's the scenario: 2 dns servers in 2 different sites, one primary, one
    > secondary, dynamic updates, sites linked through T1, dns1:
    > mydns.mycompany.com, dns2: remotedns.mycompany.com
    > In site 1, when I ping a computer from site 2 by computername, lets say
    > comp1, i get replys like: pinging comp1.mydns.mycompany.com[10.x.x.x], but
    > that computer is registered with dns2=remotedns.mycompany.com, shouldn't I
    > get replies like:
    > pinging comp1.remotedns.mycompany.com [10.x.x.x]??

    No, since the suffixes that are automatically added are
    based on those active on the CLIENT machine that performs
    the ping -- this is strictly a client side issue.

    You can make it work as you wish (for a small number of
    domains) if you added the additional suffixes in the NIC\IP\
    Advanced\DNS settings of EACH client machine.

    Otherwise, the users must type out the name when it is not
    in there own domain.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > thanks

    yes, but every client computer has a list with DNS servers in their tcp/ip
    setting, when the IP address is leased from the DHCP, which sends the dns
    info, the wins info, gateway, etc..so the order of dns lookups are:
    mydns.mycompany.com and remotedns.mycompany.com in my domain and vice-versa
    in the remote domain. Shouldn't put the proper dns suffix of the domain the
    computer resides in?

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

    > "MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hello all,
    > > here's the scenario: 2 dns servers in 2 different sites, one primary, one
    > > secondary, dynamic updates, sites linked through T1, dns1:
    > > mydns.mycompany.com, dns2: remotedns.mycompany.com
    > > In site 1, when I ping a computer from site 2 by computername, lets say
    > > comp1, i get replys like: pinging comp1.mydns.mycompany.com[10.x.x.x], but
    > > that computer is registered with dns2=remotedns.mycompany.com, shouldn't I
    > > get replies like:
    > > pinging comp1.remotedns.mycompany.com [10.x.x.x]??
    >
    > No, since the suffixes that are automatically added are
    > based on those active on the CLIENT machine that performs
    > the ping -- this is strictly a client side issue.
    >
    > You can make it work as you wish (for a small number of
    > domains) if you added the additional suffixes in the NIC\IP\
    > Advanced\DNS settings of EACH client machine.
    >
    > Otherwise, the users must type out the name when it is not
    > in there own domain.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    > > thanks