  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 8, 2004 10:35:09 AM

hello all,
here's the scenario: 2 dns servers in 2 different sites, one primary, one
secondary, dynamic updates, sites linked through T1, dns1:
mydns.mycompany.com, dns2: remotedns.mycompany.com
In site 1, when I ping a computer from site 2 by computername, lets say
comp1, i get replys like: pinging comp1.mydns.mycompany.com[10.x.x.x], but
that computer is registered with dns2=remotedns.mycompany.com, shouldn't I
get replies like:
pinging comp1.remotedns.mycompany.com [10.x.x.x]??

thanks

More about : dns suffix

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 1:19:23 PM

"MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello all,
> here's the scenario: 2 dns servers in 2 different sites, one primary, one
> secondary, dynamic updates, sites linked through T1, dns1:
> mydns.mycompany.com, dns2: remotedns.mycompany.com
> In site 1, when I ping a computer from site 2 by computername, lets say
> comp1, i get replys like: pinging comp1.mydns.mycompany.com[10.x.x.x], but
> that computer is registered with dns2=remotedns.mycompany.com, shouldn't I
> get replies like:
> pinging comp1.remotedns.mycompany.com [10.x.x.x]??

No, since the suffixes that are automatically added are
based on those active on the CLIENT machine that performs
the ping -- this is strictly a client side issue.

You can make it work as you wish (for a small number of
domains) if you added the additional suffixes in the NIC\IP\
Advanced\DNS settings of EACH client machine.

Otherwise, the users must type out the name when it is not
in there own domain.

--
Herb Martin

> thanks
September 8, 2004 3:45:05 PM

yes, but every client computer has a list with DNS servers in their tcp/ip
setting, when the IP address is leased from the DHCP, which sends the dns
info, the wins info, gateway, etc..so the order of dns lookups are:
mydns.mycompany.com and remotedns.mycompany.com in my domain and vice-versa
in the remote domain. Shouldn't put the proper dns suffix of the domain the
computer resides in?

!