AMD Announces Quad-Core Tape Out

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3797

I'm surprised that the fanboys haven't jumped all over this already.

Mid-2007 is the aim, although there is still an annoying lack of detail.

You mean people who like AMD have a life outside of this forum? Heaven forbid.

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

WORD!
Here is the full story:Link :lol:
Before anyone asks, I do believe this is K8L and not the quad-core based on K8. Furthermore, don't be surprised if a Tri-core CPU shows-up sometime. I am NOT saying such a CPU WILL ship, just that it MAY!! :lol:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

WORD!
Here is the full story:Link :lol:
Before anyone asks, I do believe this is K8L and not the quad-core based on K8. Furthermore, don't be surprised if a Tri-core CPU shows-up sometime. I am NOT saying such a CPU WILL ship, just that it MAY!! :lol:

Intel Quad Cores are due out in Q1 2007. AMD still needs to get it's 65nm process going before they can transition to Quad Cores. They'll more then likely have a test run of 65nm on Dual Cores during Q1. I believe it's the configuration we're been hearing about.. you know the 4x4.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Apparently everyone who knows much about the AMD stuff has been run off tomshardware. So, I'll spell a few things out for those we might actually care. First off, there will be a quad core K8. This is a natively quad core chip, based off of the current style cpu, although it will also contain any revisions they have made up to that point. Second, 4x4 is a DUAL SOCKET setup, designed to use EITHER dual core chips or Quad Core chips so far as current data suggests. Furthermore, the K8L design will be available in at least dual core and quad core, and is set to work in AM2, AM3, and socket 1207 systems, depending on the specific chip. Tri-Core chips will arrive eventually, but they will depend very much on how the quad cores yield. IBM's Cell was designed for 8 "mini-cores" originally. However, the PS3 only needs 7, and yields of 8 were not good, so a higher percentage is utilized when fewer cores are necessary. This is similiar to what is going on with Conroe now. You can buy a dual-core, but the single cores are not out because the it's easier to jump from 1 to 2 cores than from 2 to 4 core designs. It's more cost effective to sell as much silicon as possible at whatever core, than scrap the cpu's that don't have 4 working cores.

cxl

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The article says that:

Quad Core Opterons = K8L

Hm, let us hope this does not mean another K9 disaster (when AMD failed with K9 core, they quickly released X2 and when asked about K9 started saying that X2 is K9 project).

Mirek

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
What are you saying? When AMD failed with the K9 core, they changed their plans and produced something realitively worthwhile? Hmmm.... When Intel failed with the P4, they sold it to us anyway.......

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Apparently everyone who knows much about the AMD stuff has been run off tomshardware. So, I'll spell a few things out for those we might actually care. First off, there will be a quad core K8. This is a natively quad core chip, based off of the current style cpu, although it will also contain any revisions they have made up to that point. Second, 4x4 is a DUAL SOCKET setup, designed to use EITHER dual core chips or Quad Core chips so far as current data suggests. Furthermore, the K8L design will be available in at least dual core and quad core, and is set to work in AM2, AM3, and socket 1207 systems, depending on the specific chip. Tri-Core chips will arrive eventually, but they will depend very much on how the quad cores yield. IBM's Cell was designed for 8 "mini-cores" originally. However, the PS3 only needs 7, and yields of 8 were not good, so a higher percentage is utilized when fewer cores are necessary. This is similiar to what is going on with Conroe now. You can buy a dual-core, but the single cores are not out because the it's easier to jump from 1 to 2 cores than from 2 to 4 core designs. It's more cost effective to sell as much silicon as possible at whatever core, than scrap the cpu's that don't have 4 working cores.

I think everyone knows that bub. The 4x4 is a 2 socket system with Quad SLI/Possibly Quad Crossfire now capabilities. Able to use Dual Core CPU's or Quad Core CPU's.

I do not believe the first 65nm will be K8L, I believe they will be AMD's current CPU's run on a 65nm process to improve clockspeeds.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I think everyone knows that bub. The 4x4 is a 2 socket system with Quad SLI/Possibly Quad Crossfire now capabilities. Able to use Dual Core CPU's or Quad Core CPU's.

I wish they did. Fact of the matter is I read a new post confusing 4x4 and quad core about every day. It's dreadful.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
My point was that the first person was being a Intel "fanatic." I personally wish there were more CPU companies and thus more choice and more competition. My problem with Intel is not what it sells or how it sells it, but how it treats its partners. I think it companies were willing to work together more and not let their pride get in the way, we'd have even better chips. Like maybe an IMC on a Core 2 based center, with Hypertransport AND 4 MB cache. Now that would kick.