Local machine - DNS issues?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I feel like I'm missing something simple here, but just can't figure
this out. I've got a W2K Professional machine with static IP address
- no firewall or anything special. I can ping inside our MS workgroup
(hostname and IP address) and can ping out in Internet land (IP
address only). Cannot ping www.yahoo.com for example, but can ping
216.109.118.70, yahoo's IP. This machine has the same default
nameservers as the other machines on our local network, and other
machines on the same network are fine - normal networking & name
resolution capabilities. So as a result, normal internet browsing is
not working, some printing is not working, and file sharing amongst
the workgroup also appears to be screwed up. To me it looks like DNS
is not working for this machine for whatever reason, but I can't
figure out why or how to fix it.

I have: run the normal virus scan & spyware scan &
uninstalled/reinstalled Client for MS Netoworks, File & Printer
Sharing, and TCP/IP. What other things can it be?
18 answers Last reply
More about local machine issues
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Try:

    1. Delete the hosts file in C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc

    2. Check Event Viewer for errors

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Corey B." <corey_bunch@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I feel like I'm missing something simple here, but just can't figure
    > this out. I've got a W2K Professional machine with static IP address
    > - no firewall or anything special. I can ping inside our MS workgroup
    > (hostname and IP address) and can ping out in Internet land (IP
    > address only). Cannot ping www.yahoo.com for example, but can ping
    > 216.109.118.70, yahoo's IP. This machine has the same default
    > nameservers as the other machines on our local network, and other
    > machines on the same network are fine - normal networking & name
    > resolution capabilities. So as a result, normal internet browsing is
    > not working, some printing is not working, and file sharing amongst
    > the workgroup also appears to be screwed up. To me it looks like DNS
    > is not working for this machine for whatever reason, but I can't
    > figure out why or how to fix it.
    >
    > I have: run the normal virus scan & spyware scan &
    > uninstalled/reinstalled Client for MS Netoworks, File & Printer
    > Sharing, and TCP/IP. What other things can it be?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:OE8LT9blEHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Doug Sherman [MVP] <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> made a post then I
    commented below
    > Try:
    >
    > 1. Delete the hosts file in C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc
    >
    > 2. Check Event Viewer for errors
    >
    > Doug Sherman
    > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    In addition, if that doesn't help, make sure no services are disabled, such
    as the DHCP Client service (its a required service).

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Hi

    A network trace would be conclusive:

    1. Install network monitor on a working and non-working client.

    2. At a command prompt, run the following on each:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    3. Start a network trace on each.

    4. Attempt to ping an internet name on each and wait for positive or
    negative results.

    5. Stop the network traces and compare the results.

    If you need a hand, feel free to email me the traces and I'll take a look.

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:efj0a%23hlEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > In news:OE8LT9blEHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Doug Sherman [MVP] <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> made a post then I
    > commented below
    >> Try:
    >>
    >> 1. Delete the hosts file in C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc
    >>
    >> 2. Check Event Viewer for errors
    >>
    >> Doug Sherman
    >> MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    >>

    > In addition, if that doesn't help, make sure no services are disabled,
    > such
    > as the DHCP Client service (its a required service).
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    >.... I've got a W2K Professional machine with static IP address

    If you manually assign IP, you must also manually assign DNS server(s) and
    gateway.

    -Kent
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Hi Corey

    Looking at the network traces you sent me:

    Good machine: We see a DNS request and response that resolves the name to
    an IP address:

    Request - DNS: 0x2623:Std Qry for www.yahoo.com. of type Host Addr on class
    INET addr.
    Response - DNS: 0x2623:Std Qry Resp. Auth. NS is www.yahoo.com. of type
    Canonical name on class INET addr.

    If you expand these in Network Monitor, you can see them in much greater
    detail.

    Bad machine:

    Request - NBT: NS: Query req. for WWW.YAHOO.COM <00>

    There is no response.

    The request on the bad machine isn't a DNS request but a NETBIOS request.
    This suggests to me that the bad client isn't correctly configured to use a
    DNS server or possibly the DNS Client service is not started. I can see
    from the good trace that the DNS server being used for successful name
    resolution is 152.1.1.206.

    Kind regards
    --

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > A network trace would be conclusive:
    >
    > 1. Install network monitor on a working and non-working client.
    >
    > 2. At a command prompt, run the following on each:
    >
    > ipconfig /flushdns
    >
    > 3. Start a network trace on each.
    >
    > 4. Attempt to ping an internet name on each and wait for positive or
    > negative results.
    >
    > 5. Stop the network traces and compare the results.
    >
    > If you need a hand, feel free to email me the traces and I'll take a look.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >
    > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:efj0a%23hlEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> In news:OE8LT9blEHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Doug Sherman [MVP] <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> made a post then I
    >> commented below
    >>> Try:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Delete the hosts file in C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc
    >>>
    >>> 2. Check Event Viewer for errors
    >>>
    >>> Doug Sherman
    >>> MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    >>>

    >> In addition, if that doesn't help, make sure no services are disabled,
    >> such
    >> as the DHCP Client service (its a required service).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Ace
    >>
    >> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    >> so all can benefit.
    >>
    >> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    >> and confers no rights.
    >>
    >> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >>
    >> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    >> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    >> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    >> --
    >> =================================

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:esjiC1rlEHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Mark Renoden [MSFT] <markreno@online.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    commented below
    > Hi Corey
    >
    > Looking at the network traces you sent me:
    >
    > Good machine: We see a DNS request and response that resolves the
    > name to an IP address:
    >
    > Request - DNS: 0x2623:Std Qry for www.yahoo.com. of type Host Addr on
    > class INET addr.
    > Response - DNS: 0x2623:Std Qry Resp. Auth. NS is www.yahoo.com. of
    > type Canonical name on class INET addr.
    >
    > If you expand these in Network Monitor, you can see them in much
    > greater detail.
    >
    > Bad machine:
    >
    > Request - NBT: NS: Query req. for WWW.YAHOO.COM <00>
    >
    > There is no response.
    >
    > The request on the bad machine isn't a DNS request but a NETBIOS
    > request. This suggests to me that the bad client isn't correctly
    > configured to use a DNS server or possibly the DNS Client service is
    > not started. I can see from the good trace that the DNS server being
    > used for successful name resolution is 152.1.1.206.
    >
    > Kind regards

    Interesting. Also could be the DHCP client service disabled. Curious also if
    Zone Alarm (or any other personal firewall) was installed at one time and
    didn;t get removed properly. I've heard of that happening where ZA leaves
    files behind that causes issues.

    Ace
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Thanks for everyone's suggestions, but still no progress. The bad
    machine is configured exactly the same as the good machine in TCP/IP
    properties - everything except IP Address is identical on both
    machines- gateway, primary and secondary nameservers. Also - no
    firewall software has been installed on this machine and the default
    services are started & running, including DNS Client service.

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<esjiC1rlEHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> [...]
    > >> In news:OE8LT9blEHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > >> Doug Sherman [MVP] <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> made a post then I
    > >> commented below

    > >> In addition, if that doesn't help, make sure no services are disabled,
    > >> such
    > >> as the DHCP Client service (its a required service).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Ace
    > >>
    > >> Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
    > >> so all can benefit.
    > >>
    > >> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
    > >> and confers no rights.
    > >>
    > >> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
    > >> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    > >>
    > >> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > >> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Here are some additional things to try if you have not already.

    Run the support tool netdiag on that computer and see if it reports any pertinent
    errors, warnings, or failed tests. If you find a problem using the /v switch will
    give more detailed info.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708 -- netdiag and how to
    install support tools.

    Try booting into safe mode with networking to see if it makes a difference. If it
    does you have a startup application/service causing a problem.

    Scan the computer for parasites with AdAware that will also check for various
    registry changes caused by parasites. Be sure to update AdAware before you scan which
    you can do after you open it.

    http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet --- AdAware.

    Try reinstalling tcp/ip as shown in the link below.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034 -- Reinstall tcp/ip in W2K Pro.

    If still no luck you may have winsock corruption. Lspfix is a free tool to fix
    winsock corruption and it will not hurt to run it on a computer that does not have
    corrupt winsock. Winsock is not repaired with a reinstall of tcp/ip. --- Steve

    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    > Thanks for everyone's suggestions, but still no progress. The bad
    > machine is configured exactly the same as the good machine in TCP/IP
    > properties - everything except IP Address is identical on both
    > machines- gateway, primary and secondary nameservers. Also - no
    > firewall software has been installed on this machine and the default
    > services are started & running, including DNS Client service.
    >

    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Corey
    >>
    >> Looking at the network traces you sent me:
    >>
    >> Good machine: We see a DNS request and response that resolves the name to
    >> an IP address:
    >>
    >> Request - DNS: 0x2623:Std Qry for www.yahoo.com. of type Host Addr on class
    >> INET addr.
    >> Response - DNS: 0x2623:Std Qry Resp. Auth. NS is www.yahoo.com. of type
    >> Canonical name on class INET addr.
    >>
    >> If you expand these in Network Monitor, you can see them in much greater
    >> detail.
    >>
    >> Bad machine:
    >>
    >> Request - NBT: NS: Query req. for WWW.YAHOO.COM <00>
    >>
    >> There is no response.
    >>
    >> The request on the bad machine isn't a DNS request but a NETBIOS request.
    >> This suggests to me that the bad client isn't correctly configured to use a
    >> DNS server or possibly the DNS Client service is not started. I can see
    >> from the good trace that the DNS server being used for successful name
    >> resolution is 152.1.1.206.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.
    >>
    >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >>

    >> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > A network trace would be conclusive:
    >> >
    >> > 1. Install network monitor on a working and non-working client.
    >> >
    >> > 2. At a command prompt, run the following on each:
    >> >
    >> > ipconfig /flushdns
    >> >
    >> > 3. Start a network trace on each.
    >> >
    >> > 4. Attempt to ping an internet name on each and wait for positive or
    >> > negative results.
    >> >
    >> > 5. Stop the network traces and compare the results.
    >> >
    >> > If you need a hand, feel free to email me the traces and I'll take a look.
    >> >
    >> > Kind regards
    >> > --
    >> > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> > Windows Platform Support Team
    >> > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >> >
    >> > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> > rights.
    >> >
    >> > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    >> > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >> > message news:efj0a%23hlEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:uJk0d.163753$Fg5.24946@attbi_s53,
    Steven L Umbach <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> made a post then I
    commented below
    > Here are some additional things to try if you have not already.
    >
    > Run the support tool netdiag on that computer and see if it reports
    > any pertinent errors, warnings, or failed tests. If you find a
    > problem using the /v switch will give more detailed info.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708 --
    > netdiag and how to install support tools.
    >
    > Try booting into safe mode with networking to see if it makes a
    > difference. If it does you have a startup application/service causing
    > a problem.
    >
    > Scan the computer for parasites with AdAware that will also check for
    > various registry changes caused by parasites. Be sure to update
    > AdAware before you scan which you can do after you open it.
    >
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet ---
    > AdAware.
    >
    > Try reinstalling tcp/ip as shown in the link below.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034 -- Reinstall tcp/ip in W2K
    > Pro.
    >
    > If still no luck you may have winsock corruption. Lspfix is a free
    > tool to fix winsock corruption and it will not hurt to run it on a
    > computer that does not have corrupt winsock. Winsock is not repaired
    > with a reinstall of tcp/ip. --- Steve
    >
    > http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Nice links Steven. I hope they help him out!
    :-)

    Ace
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote
    in message news:O6hRIS5lEHA.948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In news:uJk0d.163753$Fg5.24946@attbi_s53,
    > Steven L Umbach <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> made a post then I
    > commented below
    >> Here are some additional things to try if you have not already.
    >>
    >> Run the support tool netdiag on that computer and see if it reports
    >> any pertinent errors, warnings, or failed tests. If you find a
    >> problem using the /v switch will give more detailed info.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708 --
    >> netdiag and how to install support tools.
    >>
    >> Try booting into safe mode with networking to see if it makes a
    >> difference. If it does you have a startup application/service causing
    >> a problem.
    >>
    >> Scan the computer for parasites with AdAware that will also check for
    >> various registry changes caused by parasites. Be sure to update
    >> AdAware before you scan which you can do after you open it.
    >>
    >> http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet ---
    >> AdAware.
    >>
    >> Try reinstalling tcp/ip as shown in the link below.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034 -- Reinstall tcp/ip in W2K
    >> Pro.
    >>
    >> If still no luck you may have winsock corruption. Lspfix is a free
    >> tool to fix winsock corruption and it will not hurt to run it on a
    >> computer that does not have corrupt winsock. Winsock is not repaired
    >> with a reinstall of tcp/ip. --- Steve
    >>
    >> http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    >>

    > Nice links Steven. I hope they help him out!
    > :-)
    >
    > Ace

    Hi Ace.

    I hope so too becaue I am out of ideas if none of that helps! --- Steve
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:9e9b712e.0409100446.eab4038@posting.google.com,
    Corey B. <corey_bunch@yahoo.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Thanks for everyone's suggestions, but still no progress. The bad
    > machine is configured exactly the same as the good machine in TCP/IP
    > properties - everything except IP Address is identical on both
    > machines- gateway, primary and secondary nameservers. Also - no
    > firewall software has been installed on this machine and the default
    > services are started & running, including DNS Client service.

    DHCP client service too?

    Ace
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:RFr0d.169734$mD.29041@attbi_s02,
    Steven L Umbach <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> made a post then I
    commented below
    >> Nice links Steven. I hope they help him out!
    >> :-)
    >>
    >> Ace
    >
    > Hi Ace.
    >
    > I hope so too becaue I am out of ideas if none of that helps! ---
    > Steve

    I agree! Maybe a TCP/IP reinstall after an Adaware sweep and checking out
    what's left behind with Hijack this may do the trick.

    Ace
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Hi again

    Last idea from me if none of that works (and do this as a last resort):

    1. Open regedit.

    2. Navigate to
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

    3. Under interfaces, you'll see a list of keys with GUIDs for names. Look
    at each of these until you identify the NIC we're concerned with. There's
    no other way to do this other than examine the addresses that are assigned
    in here.

    4. Back up this registry key and then delete the NameServer value and the
    DhcpNameServer value (if it exists).

    5. Close regedit and then navigate to the TCP/IP properties on this
    interface.

    6. Re-enter the addresses and click OK.

    7. Reboot the client and test.

    HTH
    --

    message news:efb2$87lEHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > In news:RFr0d.169734$mD.29041@attbi_s02,
    > Steven L Umbach <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> made a post then I
    > commented below
    >>> Nice links Steven. I hope they help him out!
    >>> :-)
    >>>
    >>> Ace
    >>
    >> Hi Ace.
    >>
    >> I hope so too becaue I am out of ideas if none of that helps! ---
    >> Steve
    >
    > I agree! Maybe a TCP/IP reinstall after an Adaware sweep and checking out
    > what's left behind with Hijack this may do the trick.
    >
    > Ace

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Again - thanks for all the ideas - here's the update.....still not
    working. Steven - I tried your ideas and the results were:

    **Note for below - "no success" means what I had described before -
    local names (i.e. netbios) reply when pinging, but external names
    (i.e. yahoo.com) do not; external IP addresses do respond. DNS & DHCP
    client services are started.

    Steven's suggestions
    --------------------------------
    Adaware - already had tried & no success
    Safe-mode with networking - tried & no success
    reinstalling tcp/ip - already had tried & no success
    lspfix utility - tried this and no success - see notes below however -
    not sure I did this right.

    Mark's suggestion
    ---------------------------------
    Deleting & readding the DNSServer & DHCPServer keys under
    HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces -
    tried & no success

    Netdiag utility
    -----------------------
    I ran the netdiag utility and have attached the log below. The only
    test that fails is the winsock test, which would suggest that it is
    corrupt or needs repair, as Steve suggested. So I thought that the
    lspfix utility would repair winsock, but maybe I ran it wrong??? It
    had an "add" side & "remove" side, with 5 dll files listed on the
    "add" side and none listed on the "remove" side. I wasn't sure if the
    files on the left were files that were being added to my system, and
    to not worry about putting anything on the "remove" side & just click
    Finish (which I did), - OR - are these files that NEED to be removed,
    and hence I should check the "I know what I am doing" checkbox and
    proceed with removing them. Steve - can you offer any advice here?
    Below is the netdiag output.

    Gathering IPX configuration information.
    Querying status of the Netcard drivers... Passed
    Testing Domain membership... Passed
    Gathering NetBT configuration information.
    Testing for autoconfiguration... Passed
    Testing IP loopback ping... Passed
    Testing default gateways... Passed
    Enumerating local and remote NetBT name cache... Passed
    Testing the WINS server
    Local Area Connection
    There is no primary WINS server defined for this adapter.
    There is no secondary WINS server defined for this
    adapter.
    Gathering Winsock information.
    Testing DNS
    Testing redirector and browser... Passed
    Testing trust relationships... Skipped
    Testing Kerberos authentication... Skipped
    Gathering routing information
    Gathering network statistics information.
    Gathering configuration of bindings.
    Gathering RAS connection information
    Gathering Modem information
    Gathering Netware information
    Gathering IP Security information

    Tests complete.

    Computer Name: computer_name
    DNS Host Name: computer_name
    DNS Domain Name: (null)
    System info : Windows 2000 Professional (Build 2195)
    Processor : x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel
    Hotfixes :
    Installed? Name
    Yes KB329115
    Yes KB823182
    Yes KB823559
    Yes KB823980
    Yes KB824105
    Yes KB825119
    Yes KB826232
    Yes KB828035
    Yes KB828741
    Yes KB828749
    Yes KB835732
    Yes KB837001
    Yes KB839643
    Yes KB839645
    Yes KB840315
    Yes KB841872
    Yes KB841873
    Yes KB842526
    Yes Q147222
    No ServicePackUninstall

    Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Passed

    Information of Netcard drivers:

    (3C905C-TX Compatible)
    Device: \DEVICE\{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}

    Media State: Connected

    Device State: Connected
    Connect Time: 00:32:01
    Media Speed: 100 Mbps

    Packets Sent: 71
    Bytes Sent (Optional): 0

    Packets Received: 2039
    Directed Pkts Recd (Optional): 19
    Bytes Received (Optional): 0
    Directed Bytes Recd (Optional): 0

    [PASS] - At least one netcard is in the 'Connected' state.

    Per interface results:

    Adapter : Local Area Connection
    Adapter ID . . . . . . . . :
    {33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}

    Netcard queries test . . . : Passed

    Adapter type . . . . . . . : Ethernet
    Host Name. . . . . . . . . : computer_name
    Description. . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink PCI
    Physical Address . . . . . : 00-06-5B-60-EB-3E
    Dhcp Enabled . . . . . . . : No
    DHCP ClassID . . . . . . . :
    Autoconfiguration Enabled. : Yes
    IP Address . . . . . . . . : XXX.14.15.68
    Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.XXX
    Default Gateway. . . . . . : XXX.14.15.65
    Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : XXX.1.1.206
    XXX.1.1.161

    IpConfig results . . . . . : Passed

    AutoConfiguration results. . . . . . : Passed
    AutoConfiguration is not in use.

    Default gateway test . . . : Passed
    Pinging gateway XXX.14.15.65 - reachable
    At least one gateway reachable for this adapter.

    NetBT name test. . . . . . : Passed
    NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}
    computer_name <00> UNIQUE REGISTERED
    computer_name <20> UNIQUE REGISTERED
    SGCP <00> GROUP REGISTERED
    computer_name <03> UNIQUE REGISTERED
    SGCP <1E> GROUP REGISTERED
    XXX <03> UNIQUE REGISTERED

    NetBios Resolution : Enabled

    No remote names have been found.

    WINS service test. . . . . : Skipped
    There is no primary WINS server defined for this adapter.
    There is no secondary WINS server defined for this
    adapter.
    There are no WINS servers configured for this interface.
    IPX test : IPX is not installed on this machine.

    Global results:

    IP General configuration
    LMHOSTS Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    DNS for WINS resolution. . . . : Enabled
    Node Type. . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    NBT Scope ID . . . . . . . . . :
    Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . : No
    DNS resolution for NETBIOS . . : No

    Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed
    Machine is a . . . . . . . . . : Standalone Workstation
    Netbios Workgroup name . . . . : SGCP
    Dns domain name is not specified.
    Dns forest name is not specified.
    Domain Guid. . . . . . . . . . :
    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Logon User . . . . . . . . . . : XXX
    Logon Domain . . . . . . . . . : computer_name

    NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
    List of NetBt transports currently configured:
    NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}
    1 NetBt transport currently configured.

    Autonet address test . . . . . . . : Passed
    PASS - you have at least one non-autoconfigured IP address

    IP loopback ping test. . . . . . . : Passed
    PASS - pinging IP loopback address was successful.
    Your IP stack is most probably OK.

    PASS - you have at least one reachable gateway.

    NetBT name test. . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    No NetBT scope defined

    PASS - The NetBT is properly configured.
    There is at least one interface where the <00> 'WorkStation
    Service',
    <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names are defined and they
    are
    not in conflict.

    Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    Failed to get UDP packet size information. The error occurred was:
    The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized.
    The number of protocols which have been reported : 12
    Provider Version :2
    Max message size : Stream Oriented
    Provider Version :2
    Provider Version :2
    Max message size : Stream Oriented
    Provider Version :2
    [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}] SEQPACKET
    0
    Provider Version :2
    [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}] DATAGRAM
    0
    Provider Version :2
    [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9BFB4CB9-4D91-43DE-8B71-E923C2AE7906}] SEQPACKET
    1
    Provider Version :2
    [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9BFB4CB9-4D91-43DE-8B71-E923C2AE7906}] DATAGRAM
    1
    Provider Version :2
    [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6A4C949E-3E81-4C20-80B5-E0980244C3D0}] SEQPACKET
    2
    Provider Version :2
    [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6A4C949E-3E81-4C20-80B5-E0980244C3D0}] DATAGRAM
    2
    Provider Version :2
    Provider Version :4
    Provider Version :4
    Max message size : Stream Oriented

    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Interface {33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}
    DNS Domain:
    DNS Servers: XXX.1.1.206 XXX.1.1.161
    IP Address: XXX.14.15.68
    The DNS registration is disabled for this interface

    Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Passed
    List of transports currently bound to the Redir
    NetbiosSmb
    NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}
    The redir is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

    List of transports currently bound to the browser
    NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}
    The browser is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

    DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Skipped

    DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Skipped

    Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Skipped

    Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Skipped

    LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Skipped

    Routing table test . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Active Routes :
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface
    Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 XXX.14.15.65 XXX.14.15.68
    1
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
    1
    XXX.14.15.64 255.255.255.192 XXX.14.15.68 XXX.14.15.68
    1
    XXX.14.15.68 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
    1
    XXX.14.255.255 255.255.255.255 XXX.14.15.68 XXX.14.15.68
    1
    224.0.0.0 224.0.0.0 XXX.14.15.68 XXX.14.15.68
    1
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 XXX.14.15.68 XXX.14.15.68
    1
    No persistent route entries.

    Netstat information test . . . . . : Passed

    Interface Statistics

    Received Sent
    Unicast Packets 232293 20308
    Non-unicast packets 1744 52
    Discards 0 0
    Errors 0 0
    Unknown protocols 328 457224

    Interface index = 1
    Description = MS TCP Loopback interface
    Type = 24
    MTU = 1500
    Speed = 10000000
    Physical Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00
    Administrative Status = 1
    Operational Status = 1
    Last Changed = 2646462359
    Output Queue Length = 0

    Interface index = 16777219
    Description = 3Com EtherLink PCI
    Type = 6
    MTU = 1500
    Speed = 100000000
    Physical Address = 00-06-5B-60-EB-3E
    Administrative Status = 1
    Operational Status = 1
    Last Changed = 2646462366
    Output Queue Length = 0

    Active Connections

    Proto Local Address Foreign Address
    State
    TCP computer_name:microsoft-ds computer_name:26651
    LISTENING
    TCP computer_name:1025 computer_name:34822
    LISTENING
    TCP computer_name:1031 computer_name:microsoft-ds
    TIME_WAIT
    TCP computer_name:netbios-ssn computer_name:43259
    LISTENING
    UDP computer_name:microsoft-ds *:*
    UDP computer_name:netbios-ns *:*
    UDP computer_name:netbios-dgm *:*

    IP Statistics

    Packets Received = 1,329
    Received Header Errors = 0
    Received Address Errors = 614
    Datagrams Forwarded = 0
    Unknown Protocols Received = 0
    Received Packets Discarded = 0
    Received Packets Delivered = 747
    Output Requests = 190
    Routing Discards = 0
    Discarded Output Packets = 0
    Output Packet No Route = 0
    Reassembly Required = 0
    Reassembly Successful = 0
    Reassembly Failures = 0
    Datagrams successfully fragmented = 0
    Datagrams failing fragmentation = 0
    Fragments Created = 0
    Forwarding = 2
    Default TTL = 128
    Reassembly timeout = 60

    TCP Statistics

    Active Opens = 4
    Passive Opens = 3
    Failed Connection Attempts = 0
    Reset Connections = 0
    Current Connections = 0
    Received Segments = 112
    Segment Sent = 115
    Segment Retransmitted = 0
    Retransmission Timeout Algorithm = vanj
    Minimum Retransmission Timeout = 300
    Maximum Retransmission Timeout = 240,000
    Maximum Number of Connections = -1

    UDP Statistics

    Datagrams Received = 518
    No Ports = 109
    Receive Errors = 0
    Datagrams Sent = 51

    ICMP Statistics

    Received Sent
    Messages 24 24
    Errors 0 0
    Destination Unreachable 0 0
    Time Exceeded 0 0
    Parameter Problems 0 0
    Source Quenchs 0 0
    Redirects 0 0
    Echos 8 8
    Echo Replies 16 16
    Timestamps 0 0
    Timestamp Replies 0 0
    Address Masks 0 0
    Address Mask Replies 0 0

    Bindings test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    Component Name : Network Monitor Driver
    Bind Name: NM
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : Network Monitor Driver
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndis5
    Upper Component: Network Monitor Driver
    Lower Component: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    Owner of the binding path : Network Monitor Driver
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndiswanbh
    Upper Component: Network Monitor Driver
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)

    Component Name : Message-oriented TCP/IP Protocol (SMB session)
    Bind Name: NetbiosSmb
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Bind Name: NetBT
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: tdi
    Upper Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Lower Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    -Interface Name: ndis5
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    Owner of the binding path : WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: tdi
    Upper Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Lower Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    -Interface Name: ndiswanip
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (IP)

    Component Name : Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Bind Name: Tcpip
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndis5
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    Owner of the binding path : Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndiswanip
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (IP)

    Component Name : NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol
    Bind Name: Ndisuio
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndis5
    Upper Component: NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol
    Lower Component: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    Component Name : Point to Point Tunneling Protocol
    Bind Name: mspptp
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol
    Bind Name: msl2tp
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Bind Name: NdisWan
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndiscowan
    Upper Component: Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Lower Component: Direct Parallel

    Owner of the binding path : Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndiswan
    Upper Component: Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (PPTP)

    Owner of the binding path : Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndiscowan
    Upper Component: Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (L2TP)

    Owner of the binding path : Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: ndiswanasync
    Upper Component: Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver
    Lower Component: RAS Async Adapter

    Component Name : Client for Microsoft Networks
    Bind Name: LanmanWorkstation
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : Client for Microsoft Networks
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: netbios_smb
    Upper Component: Client for Microsoft Networks
    Lower Component: Message-oriented TCP/IP Protocol (SMB
    session)

    Owner of the binding path : Client for Microsoft Networks
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: netbios
    Upper Component: Client for Microsoft Networks
    Lower Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    -Interface Name: tdi
    Upper Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Lower Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    -Interface Name: ndis5
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    Owner of the binding path : Client for Microsoft Networks
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: netbios
    Upper Component: Client for Microsoft Networks
    Lower Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    -Interface Name: tdi
    Upper Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Lower Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    -Interface Name: ndiswanip
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (IP)

    Component Name : QoS RSVP
    Bind Name: RSVP
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    Bind Name: LanmanServer
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : File and Printer Sharing for
    Microsoft Networks
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: netbios_smb
    Upper Component: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
[...]

    Component Name : NetBIOS Interface
    Bind Name: NetBIOS
    Binding Paths:
    Owner of the binding path : NetBIOS Interface
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: netbios
    Upper Component: NetBIOS Interface
    Lower Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    -Interface Name: tdi
    Upper Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Lower Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    -Interface Name: ndis5
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

    Owner of the binding path : NetBIOS Interface
    Binding Enabled: Yes
    Interfaces of the binding path:
    -Interface Name: netbios
    Upper Component: NetBIOS Interface
    Lower Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    -Interface Name: tdi
    Upper Component: WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol
    Lower Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    -Interface Name: ndiswanip
    Upper Component: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Lower Component: WAN Miniport (IP)

    Component Name : Wireless Configuration
    Bind Name: wzcsvc
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Steelhead
    Bind Name: RemoteAccess
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Dial-Up Server
    Bind Name: msrassrv
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Remote Access Connection Manager
    Bind Name: RasMan
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Dial-Up Client
    Bind Name: msrascli
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Generic Packet Classifier
    Bind Name: Gpc
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
    Bind Name: NdisWanBh
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : WAN Miniport (IP)
    Bind Name: NdisWanIp
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : Direct Parallel
    Bind Name: {5C3835D7-2252-4DF6-8CA4-81A617946A6D}
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Bind Name: {F5F4520A-36B5-45E5-AE98-A9D6C955B261}
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Bind Name: {24BE4063-4B46-4817-835F-11413094E3D0}
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : RAS Async Adapter
    Bind Name: {47857E56-01B5-42FC-91D3-CFCFF82552DF}
    Binding Paths:

    Component Name : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
    (3C905C-TX Compatible)
    Bind Name: {33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}
    Binding Paths:

    WAN configuration test . . . . . . : Skipped
    No active remote access connections.

    Modem diagnostics test . . . . . . : Passed

    IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Skipped
    The IPSec Policy Agent service is not started.

    The command completed successfully

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:9e9b712e.0409130959.1baff521@posting.google.com,
    Corey B. <corey_bunch@yahoo.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Again - thanks for all the ideas - here's the update.....still not
    > working. Steven - I tried your ideas and the results were:
    >
    > **Note for below - "no success" means what I had described before -
    > local names (i.e. netbios) reply when pinging, but external names
    > (i.e. yahoo.com) do not; external IP addresses do respond. DNS & DHCP
    > client services are started.
    >
    > Steven's suggestions
    > --------------------------------
    > Adaware - already had tried & no success
    > Safe-mode with networking - tried & no success
    > reinstalling tcp/ip - already had tried & no success
    > lspfix utility - tried this and no success - see notes below however -
    > not sure I did this right.
    >
    > Mark's suggestion
    > ---------------------------------
    > Deleting & readding the DNSServer & DHCPServer keys under
    > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters\interfaces -
    > tried & no success
    >
    > Netdiag utility
    > -----------------------
    > I ran the netdiag utility and have attached the log below. The only
    > test that fails is the winsock test, which would suggest that it is
    > corrupt or needs repair, as Steve suggested. So I thought that the
    > lspfix utility would repair winsock, but maybe I ran it wrong??? It
    > had an "add" side & "remove" side, with 5 dll files listed on the
    > "add" side and none listed on the "remove" side. I wasn't sure if the
    > files on the left were files that were being added to my system, and
    > to not worry about putting anything on the "remove" side & just click
    > Finish (which I did), - OR - are these files that NEED to be removed,
    > and hence I should check the "I know what I am doing" checkbox and
    > proceed with removing them. Steve - can you offer any advice here?
    > Below is the netdiag output.

    <snip>

    > Netcard queries test . . . : Passed
    >
    > Adapter type . . . . . . . : Ethernet
    > Host Name. . . . . . . . . : computer_name
    > Description. . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink PCI
    > Physical Address . . . . . : 00-06-5B-60-EB-3E
    > Dhcp Enabled . . . . . . . : No
    > DHCP ClassID . . . . . . . :
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled. : Yes
    > IP Address . . . . . . . . : XXX.14.15.68
    > Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.XXX
    > Default Gateway. . . . . . : XXX.14.15.65
    > Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : XXX.1.1.206
    > XXX.1.1.161
    >

    > Interface index = 1
    > Description = MS TCP Loopback interface
    > Type = 24
    > MTU = 1500
    > Speed = 10000000
    > Physical Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00
    > Administrative Status = 1
    > Operational Status = 1
    > Last Changed = 2646462359
    > Output Queue Length = 0
    >

    > Interface index = 16777219
    > Description = 3Com EtherLink PCI
    > Type = 6
    > MTU = 1500
    > Speed = 100000000
    > Physical Address = 00-06-5B-60-EB-3E
    > Administrative Status = 1
    > Operational Status = 1
    > Last Changed = 2646462366
    > Output Queue Length = 0

    Corey, two things.
    One, I noticed that you have the MS Loopback ADapter installed. Can you
    disable or remove that and try again?

    Also, curious, do these files exist anywhere?
    vsdata.dll
    vsdatant.sys
    vsmonapi.dll
    vsutil.dll

    Ace
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Many users have reported success with lspfix. I have tried it myself on a good
    computer without ill effects. When I use it I just select finish and leave the files
    as is. I know the latest version of SpyBot Search and Destroy gives detail on winsock
    entries when you put it in advanced mode and select tools/winsock. The KB link below
    is to a MS article on how to manually repair winsock which would be worth a try and
    you could run netdiag again after doing to see what it reports. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b817571

> [...]
    > Max message size : Stream Oriented
    > Provider Version :2
    > [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}] SEQPACKET
    > 0
    > Provider Version :2
    > [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{33D5ADE9-B842-4BB7-82E6-EF05D19B44FA}] DATAGRAM
    > 0
    > Provider Version :2
    > [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9BFB4CB9-4D91-43DE-8B71-E923C2AE7906}] SEQPACKET
    > 1
    > Provider Version :2
    > [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9BFB4CB9-4D91-43DE-8B71-E923C2AE7906}] DATAGRAM
    > 1
    > Provider Version :2
    > [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6A4C949E-3E81-4C20-80B5-E0980244C3D0}] SEQPACKET
    > 2
    > Provider Version :2
    > [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6A4C949E-3E81-4C20-80B5-E0980244C3D0}] DATAGRAM

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    All right everyone, solution found. Going on the only clue I had from
    all the other test, which was netdiag (winsock failed), I was under
    the assumption that winsock was somehow corrupted (thanks Steven for
    the direction there). I ended up using actually an XP procedure on
    repairing winsock, even though the machine is 2000, and it worked.
    The procedure is here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259

    Basically it involved deleting these two keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

    and then reinstalling TCP/IP. The only extra step I had to add was
    after deleting the two keys & rebooting, I still had to go uninstall
    TCP/IP, reboot again, and then proceed with reinstalling. So even
    though I had already uninstalled & reinstalled TCP/IP, these winsock
    keys needed to be killed too. Thanks all for your suggestions.

    "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message news:<aRr1d.431884$%_6.130229@attbi_s01>...
    > Many users have reported success with lspfix. I have tried it myself on a good
    > computer without ill effects. When I use it I just select finish and leave the files
    > as is. I know the latest version of SpyBot Search and Destroy gives detail on winsock
    > entries when you put it in advanced mode and select tools/winsock. The KB link below
    > is to a MS article on how to manually repair winsock which would be worth a try and
    > you could run netdiag again after doing to see what it reports. --- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b817571

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Excellent. Glad you got it to work and thanks for reporting back with your results.
    Winsock problems seem to be more widespread with the advent of parasites. --- Steve

    > All right everyone, solution found. Going on the only clue I had from
    > all the other test, which was netdiag (winsock failed), I was under
    > the assumption that winsock was somehow corrupted (thanks Steven for
    > the direction there). I ended up using actually an XP procedure on
    > repairing winsock, even though the machine is 2000, and it worked.
    > The procedure is here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259
    >
    > Basically it involved deleting these two keys:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
    >
    > and then reinstalling TCP/IP. The only extra step I had to add was
    > after deleting the two keys & rebooting, I still had to go uninstall
    > TCP/IP, reboot again, and then proceed with reinstalling. So even
    > though I had already uninstalled & reinstalled TCP/IP, these winsock
    > keys needed to be killed too. Thanks all for your suggestions.
    >
    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Many users have reported success with lspfix. I have tried it myself on a good
    >> computer without ill effects. When I use it I just select finish and leave the
    >> files
    >> as is. I know the latest version of SpyBot Search and Destroy gives detail on
    >> winsock
    >> entries when you put it in advanced mode and select tools/winsock. The KB link
    >> below
    >> is to a MS article on how to manually repair winsock which would be worth a try
    >> and
    >> you could run netdiag again after doing to see what it reports. --- Steve
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b817571

Networking Microsoft DNS Windows