Attributes and restore potions

Hey all. Having just recovered from leprosy er...corprus disease, I went
hunting for a bunch of 'restore attribute potions.'

What is the difference between the cheap, bargain, quality, standard,
exquisite, and so forth restore potions? For restoring health and fatigue
it makes sense, but even the bargain ones seem to restore my attributes
to full, assuming that a change in colour (red --> beige) is indicative of
that.

Or am I screwing myself horribly?

Thanks,
Colin
9 answers Last reply
More about attributes restore potions

    "Colin B." <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all. Having just recovered from leprosy er...corprus disease, I went
    > hunting for a bunch of 'restore attribute potions.'
    >
    > What is the difference between the cheap, bargain, quality, standard,
    > exquisite, and so forth restore potions? For restoring health and fatigue
    > it makes sense, but even the bargain ones seem to restore my attributes
    > to full, assuming that a change in colour (red --> beige) is indicative of
    > that.
    >
    > Or am I screwing myself horribly?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Colin

    Weight of potion -- the cheaper the heavier.
    Thirinel

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:17:00 GMT, "Colin B."
    <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:

    >Hey all. Having just recovered from leprosy er...corprus disease, I went
    >hunting for a bunch of 'restore attribute potions.'
    >
    >What is the difference between the cheap, bargain, quality, standard,
    >exquisite, and so forth restore potions? For restoring health and fatigue
    >it makes sense, but even the bargain ones seem to restore my attributes
    >to full, assuming that a change in colour (red --> beige) is indicative of
    >that.

    The dearer ones restore more points, but this is only important if
    you've lost that many in the first place. If you've only lost 2 points
    from an attribute, there's no sense getting an exquisite potion to cure
    it, as most of its effect would be wasted. On the other hand, if some
    magic-user has cut your strength by 40 points, that cheap potion you
    were carrying just isn't goint to do the job.

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:17:00 GMT, "Colin B."
    > <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hey all. Having just recovered from leprosy er...corprus disease, I went
    >>hunting for a bunch of 'restore attribute potions.'
    >>
    >>What is the difference between the cheap, bargain, quality, standard,
    >>exquisite, and so forth restore potions? For restoring health and fatigue
    >>it makes sense, but even the bargain ones seem to restore my attributes
    >>to full, assuming that a change in colour (red --> beige) is indicative of
    >>that.
    >
    > The dearer ones restore more points, but this is only important if
    > you've lost that many in the first place. If you've only lost 2 points
    > from an attribute, there's no sense getting an exquisite potion to cure
    > it, as most of its effect would be wasted. On the other hand, if some
    > magic-user has cut your strength by 40 points, that cheap potion you
    > were carrying just isn't goint to do the job.

    OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points and
    I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    chance to restore? I could have sworn that my values were much higher than
    I've restored them to, but they won't go any further with more potions.

    Thanks,
    Colin

    Colin B. wrote:

    > OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points and
    > I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    > drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    > chance to restore?

    You can drink several potions, and the effects will add up. There is no
    limitation in restoring attributes. You could restore say 10 points with
    a spell, and twice another 5 points with two cheap-o potions.

    > I could have sworn that my values were much higher than
    > I've restored them to, but they won't go any further with more potions.

    Only way would be to reload an older savegame and compare the values.
    You see when your stats are at maximum again when they are not displayed
    in red anymore. Then you are back to your original value. If this
    original value is indeed off - it would be a very rare thing, never
    happened to me -, then load a previous savegame and note down your
    values on some paper. Load back your latest game, open the console and type:

    player->setagility 60

    for example, to restore your agility to 60, if that had been your real
    value.

    However, restoring attributes generally works fine. Im not saying
    Morrowind has no bugs, it has plenty. But at least this particular thing
    seems to work.

    Peter

    Colin B. wrote:

    > OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points and
    > I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    > drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    > chance to restore? I could have sworn that my values were much higher than
    > I've restored them to, but they won't go any further with more potions.

    before restoring you should take off any items which permanently add
    boni (bonusses ?) to any attributes as some restoring techniques do not
    recognize that

    Yes, you can keep guzzling.
    If you get a disease though, even though you can restore you ability, such
    as strength or intelligence, you will still have the disease.
    You will need to use a cuse common disease or cure blight disease potion to
    fix this, otherwise people won't want to talk to you.

    > Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:17:00 GMT, "Colin B."
    >> <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey all. Having just recovered from leprosy er...corprus disease, I went
    >>>hunting for a bunch of 'restore attribute potions.'
    >>>
    >>>What is the difference between the cheap, bargain, quality, standard,
    >>>exquisite, and so forth restore potions? For restoring health and fatigue
    >>>it makes sense, but even the bargain ones seem to restore my attributes
    >>>to full, assuming that a change in colour (red --> beige) is indicative
    >>>of
    >>>that.
    >>
    >> The dearer ones restore more points, but this is only important if
    >> you've lost that many in the first place. If you've only lost 2 points
    >> from an attribute, there's no sense getting an exquisite potion to cure
    >> it, as most of its effect would be wasted. On the other hand, if some
    >> magic-user has cut your strength by 40 points, that cheap potion you
    >> were carrying just isn't goint to do the job.
    >
    > OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points and
    > I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    > drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    > chance to restore? I could have sworn that my values were much higher than
    > I've restored them to, but they won't go any further with more potions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Colin

    > > OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points
    and
    > > I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    > > drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    > > chance to restore?
    >
    > You can drink several potions, and the effects will add up. There is no
    > limitation in restoring attributes. You could restore say 10 points with
    > a spell, and twice another 5 points with two cheap-o potions.

    Though thinking about it, if you have the spell, why bother carrying potions
    around? Well, I guess if it's a Power rather than a spell, it saves you
    from having to rest for a day to cast it again. I recall that Almalexia
    rewards you with such a power at one point. Myself, I Enchanted a ring with
    Restore 15 points each of Strength, Endurance, Agility, and Speed. Covers
    most situations. I've yet to see any enemy attack me with something that
    drained any of my other stats. There are some diseases which do, but since
    curing the disease restores your stats, there's no need.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>>OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    >>>drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    >>>chance to restore?
    >>
    >>You can drink several potions, and the effects will add up. There is no
    >>limitation in restoring attributes. You could restore say 10 points with
    >>a spell, and twice another 5 points with two cheap-o potions.
    >

    > Though thinking about it, if you have the spell, why bother carrying potions
    > around? Well, I guess if it's a Power rather than a spell, it saves you
    > from having to rest for a day to cast it again. I recall that Almalexia
    > rewards you with such a power at one point. Myself, I Enchanted a ring with
    > Restore 15 points each of Strength, Endurance, Agility, and Speed. Covers
    > most situations. I've yet to see any enemy attack me with something that
    > drained any of my other stats. There are some diseases which do, but since
    > curing the disease restores your stats, there's no need.

    I've been hit with damage luck attacks but don't remember if they were
    part of stock Morrowind or one of the mods.

    Peter Strempel <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Colin B. wrote:
    >
    >> OK, that makes sense. But then if my agility has been cut by 20 points and
    >> I guzzle a bargain potion for one or two points, will I be able to keep
    >> drinking potions until my agility is back to full, or do I only get one
    >> chance to restore?
    >
    > You can drink several potions, and the effects will add up. There is no
    > limitation in restoring attributes. You could restore say 10 points with
    > a spell, and twice another 5 points with two cheap-o potions.

    Excellent. This is the information I needed.

    >> I could have sworn that my values were much higher than
    >> I've restored them to, but they won't go any further with more potions.
    >
    > Only way would be to reload an older savegame and compare the values.
    > You see when your stats are at maximum again when they are not displayed
    > in red anymore. Then you are back to your original value. If this

    Well, I did that. Turns out I should stop playing so long, and get some
    sleep. I was misreading my willpower value as my agility score, and other
    cross-eyed silliness.

    > However, restoring attributes generally works fine. Im not saying
    > Morrowind has no bugs, it has plenty. But at least this particular thing
    > seems to work.

    Heh. CTD has become my favoured curse around the house these days.

    Thanks all.
    Colin

Games Video Games