Forbes: Bill Gates is World's Fourth Most Powerful Person

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Bill Gates is more powerful than the pope! What is this world coming to? In the bible it does say "The meek shall inherit the world", I think they didn't have their spell check on and it should have read "The geek shall inherit the world". :lol:

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Funny how all of this money gets donated and a huge majority of the world is still in trouble.
Seriously.. What did they do with the $28 billion?

It's 28 freakin' Billion, that's enough for $4 per person on this planet.
Imagine how much of that actually goes towards those in need.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Whichever person has the most influence in the Communist Party of China I would say ranks higher than Bill Gates.[/citation]

You mean United States. Controlling the US government is no small feat, and the rewards is, a lot...

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]why the chancellor of germany?[/citation]
I'm going to guess since the Euro zone isn't doing great, and Germany has a fair amount of say with the ECB which has propped countries like Greece, Spain, Ireland and Italy.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Because her decisions impact the whole of Europe due to the financial crisis.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
If anyone has ever watched the kids movie "Despicable Me" the character called "Vector" in that movie looks like a caricature of Bill Gates - I always laugh when I see Bill Gates as I associate him with Vector - worth looking up on u-tube if you want a laugh.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Because Merkel is the one ruling the EU, she has the money and the means to impose hers politics on almost every european country

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Bill Gates is more powerful than the pope! What is this world coming to? In the bible it does say "The meek shall inherit the world", I think they didn't have their spell check on and it should have read "The geek shall inherit the world".[/citation]Bill can force Micosoft to issue a broken patch to shut down 90% of the computers in the world that includes pirates that use Microsoft updates, pope cant get anywhere near that power.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'd like to see Gates donate more of his money towards birth control, condoms, abortions, etc. I'm not trying to make a political point, I'm just stating that the best way to help the human race is to try and stop population growth. Feeding / curing 8 billion people is just going to put further strain on our planet and our resources / food supply. I always tell people that it's better for the environment to live a life of excess than to have a child.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Bill can force Micosoft to issue a broken patch to shut down 90% of the computers in the world that includes pirates that use Microsoft updates, pope cant get anywhere near that power.[/citation]
Nobody can FORCE a patch.... I have automatic updates turned off.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Nobody can FORCE a patch.... I have automatic updates turned off.[/citation]yeah but not when the majority casual people has those automatic updates turn on by default.

@wemakeourfuture,
The Chinese government is an party-oligarchy that rules by consensus through the 7-9 member Poltiburo Standing Committee. It's specifically designed so that a single politburo leader will not have much more power than another politburo leader. That's why Bill Gates has way more power than individual Chinese leaders.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
He's the Fourth Richest person in the World, not the 4th Powerful person. He has no power over me or our Country. He's just an Ugly man with a Nice Suit and a Fat Wallet...........

tiret

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I'd like to see Gates donate more of his money towards birth control, condoms, abortions, etc. I'm not trying to make a political point, I'm just stating that the best way to help the human race is to try and stop population growth. Feeding / curing 8 billion people is just going to put further strain on our planet and our resources / food supply. I always tell people that it's better for the environment to live a life of excess than to have a child.[/citation]
dude i agree with you 100 percent. for a guy as smart as bill gates i can't believe that he tackles the symptoms of our problems (poverty and disease) and not the root cause - which is overpopulation. develop a contraceptive for MEN and you will see negative population growth and less suffering. Just look at India slums - that is where the world is heading, where everyone hustles for a loaf of bread.
feel free to negative mark me but you know i'm right.
cheers

G

[I'd like to see Gates donate more of his money towards birth control, condoms, abortions, etc. I'm not trying to make a political point, I'm just stating that the best way to help the human race is to try and stop population growth. Feeding / curing 8 billion people is just going to put further strain on our planet and our resources / food supply. I always tell people that it's better for the environment to live a life of excess than to have a child.]

Actually there is truth in the long term benefit of the whole human race lies in controlled population growth. Currently most regions adopt the economic principle of free market which allows the market to dictate the prices of resources that in principle should see the most valuable resources being used for the most valuable purpose. However, human society has very short term goals which at the end causing the resources still being allocated for wasteful purpose. It is conceivable that all those key resources such as oil, uranium, rare metals etc which supports the existence of modern technology will all be spent on wasteful activities and eventually the human race might spend all of them, lost the grip on advanced technology, and end up being stuck on Earth, waiting for a meteor or other cosmic disaster to wipe us out. Resources is not sufficient because there are too many people need them. If there are less people, more resources are available for everyone and hence each will have a better quality of life. There should be an optimal number of people for current level of technology and resource availability. If we are able to reach out and colonize more planets and stars, then we will be able to support more people. Meanwhile, we should be careful of how much resources we want to spend to make current level of technology sustainable.

Of course, this is a very radical idea and the world is not ready to accept that "you cannot have the number of kids you want to have". But in the more advanced countries, the population growth is usually either stagnant or going negative, so I supposedly in the subconscious, somehow many people already realize that it might be better to have less people.

Status
Not open for further replies.