Sign in with
Your question

ATI is Gone!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2006 12:11:16 PM

Seems like AMD will be dropping the ATI brand name. When Gareth Cater from AMD was asked about the future of the Radeon name for graphic cards this is what he said:

'We haven't made any final decisions yet, but I'd personally be very surprised if we dropped any of those product names. The ATi company name is definitely going, though.'

He also mentioned that the reported "merger" is actually a takeover from AMD.

Chris Hook from ATI had the follwing to say:

'I don't have a personal emotional attachment to it [the brand], one way or another. I think the important thing is that we're going to make good products. ATi may be gone, but certainly lots of discussion is going to come over the next few days about the rest of our brands and their strengths.'

Source: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/91589/amd-to-drop-ati-brand.html

Maybe we should just buy the X1950 series as it is the last series of graphics cards that ATI will have ever made..
Sad.
Next up - Nvidia vs. AMD (Merger with Intel??) 8)

More about : ati

August 15, 2006 12:14:16 PM

If this article is valid, that's a stupid move in my opinion.
August 15, 2006 12:26:14 PM

Well this makes it easyer for people to deside if they want nvidia or [...]. *cough cough*

Ati uses this name for a long time now, and stands for good quality products. Amd should change their name when their new CPU's come out. Not ati.
Related resources
August 15, 2006 12:28:21 PM

Meh, as long as they make good card to compete with nVidia, it'll be good for us.
August 15, 2006 12:31:33 PM

True.. but intel changed their pentium line to core duo. With Pentium i still have the feeling that you have a quality product.

I just dont like it, probally just me :p  .

But youre right, as long as their products stay top of the line then its fine.
August 15, 2006 1:02:22 PM

good move imho.... When I see a pre bulit computer with an ATI sticker on it I think to myself - second best - Now where is a computer with nvidia in it?
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 1:16:11 PM

That report was false. Here's the truth...
Click ME.
Quote:

Yesterday CustomPC claimed that AMD was going to scrap the ATI brand, inferring this in a most dubious manner. AMD's Gareth Cater had told them that AMD would, in fact, retain its name after the buyout was finished, meaning that AMD would remain AMD for the foreseeable future. CustomPC then assumed that this would mean that ATI as a brand was going to be dropped, reported it as such. The echo-chamber did the rest. For our part, we contacted AMD public relations folks yesterday, assuming that the story was bogus.

And alas, it is. AMD is now responding to the story, saying "AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry."

The ATI brand isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
good move imho.... When I see a pre bulit computer with an ATI sticker on it I think to myself - second best - Now where is a computer with nvidia in it?

Ummmm, when I look at a PC and see it's running Linux.. I think to myself.. that PC sucks balls!
Then again that's the only config where nVIDIA comes out on top of ATi :p 
August 15, 2006 1:20:06 PM

Yeah, nice find. I figured it was. Seemed to me like the comments were a little to 'casual' to be saying to some small tech site.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 2:02:04 PM

Quote:
Meh, as long as they make good card to compete with nVidia, it'll be good for us.

Exactly, as long as they continue to make a good card...we'll have to wait and see...maybe AMD will capitalize on the partnership with RAMBUS and Z-RAM and put together a new video card platform.

Also, by getting rid of the ATI name, it offers AMD a whole new marketing opportunity, and the opportunity to launch a whole new product line on what enthusiasts already know to be a proven gpu.
August 15, 2006 2:07:26 PM

so my ati 9700 pro will be called DAAMIT 9700 pro?? 8O
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 2:45:56 PM

Quote:

Exactly, as long as they continue to make a good card...we'll have to wait and see...maybe AMD will capitalize on the partnership with RAMBUS and Z-RAM and put together a new video card platform.

Also, by getting rid of the ATI name, it offers AMD a whole new marketing opportunity, and the opportunity to launch a whole new product line on what enthusiasts already know to be a proven gpu.

READ MY POST ABOVE THIS ONE

The ATi brand isn't going anywhere. It's False news.
August 15, 2006 2:52:40 PM

Quote:
Actually, both names are being dropped. The new name is going to be DAAMIT. I've got proof right here: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/07/amd-ati-daamit.html

Classic. :D 

I personally think this unwise. I also wouldnt mind what its called, as long as it is a quality product as it has been for quite some time now. But theres just something about "ATI RADEON." I dunno, it has a ring to it. :( 
I hate to see the "big red machine" go. So are they gonna go with AMD also?
August 15, 2006 3:47:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, both names are being dropped. The new name is going to be DAAMIT. I've got proof right here: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/07/amd-ati-daamit.html

LOL. The sad thing is, that looks more legit than half of the stuff people squawk about in here. :D  That made my whole day better... thanks!
August 15, 2006 3:52:00 PM

Simply put, marketing terms such as "brand recognition" and "brand loyalty" exist for a reason. While many enthusiasts are aware of the merger and will know right away when Daamit ( :lol:  ) comes out with a new brand name for its cards, the majority of consumers will not.

It will cost AMD a lot of money to run "explanatory" commercials like "ATi is now Daamit, blah-blah-blah..."

In my opinion launching the whole new product line does not require getting rid of popular barnd names.

When it says "Intel Core 2 Duo" or whatever, you realize that it IS the NEXT generation of FAMILIAR and RELIABLE Intel CPUs. It is not Pentium. It is newer, better. Hey, it is from Intel!

When the new brand name is unfamiliar, it is scary. "AMD video card? Excuse me? WTF? That cannot be right. This is bull." AMD will hear this a lot.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 4:21:31 PM

This is SOOoo last weeks wrong guess. :roll:

In other 'breaking news' 3Dfx decides to go in another direction :roll: :twisted: ;

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/3dfx-direction-...

It's like a time machine around here lately. :lol: 

Anywhoo as Slava said, the ATi brand is worth too much to drop. They may phase it out by offering ATi and AMD cards side by side, then slowly phasing out the ATi name and making the AMD Radeons, but it won't happen overnight.

That would be like Pepsi buying Quaker Oats and changin it to pepsi Cereal, or Gatorade to Pepsi Sport or Tropicana into Pepsi 'Orange'.

You don't mess with established brands, you mess with things that DON'T work (like erase XGI from existance and use it's facilities for any evil plotting for AMD CVG-PU).

The only thing I see AMD and ATi messing with would possibly be a new numbering scheme because The Radeon X2K series is a little 'meh' when it comes to numbering schemes. Of course considering that ATi joined forces with the maker of the XXXX+ line of CPUs, it could very well be the X2800+XL, unfortunately not a perfect match for your XP2800+. :wink:
August 15, 2006 4:24:59 PM

Quote:

Ummmm, when I look at a PC and see it's running Linux.. I think to myself.. that PC sucks balls!

Then you should educate yourself about linux.... It is superier to windows, in just about every way.... Most imporatantly it is fast, small and completely dependable.... If you wanted to make an operating system with the best of everything(not worried about proprietary sales) - This is what you would end up with.... Well not counting JAVA anyway :D 

Anyway back to the ATI subject.... I was just pointing out that ATI 'IN GENERAL' has always been thought of as second to nvidia(whether true or not).... So It is time to try rebranding ATI products under the AMD brand name....
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 5:15:01 PM

Quote:

Then you should educate yourself about linux.... It is superier to windows, in just about every way....

Except gaming, which is the only place the my ePeni$ is bigger than yours mentaly matters. And really being a Linux fanboi when it comes to graphics is a step worse than being a Mac addict when talking about gaming. At least the make guys can dual boot and get the best of both worlds, Windows for gaming and OSX (basically Linux/Unix [BSD] for dummies) when they want something different.

When 99+% of buyers see a new kick-ass graphics card the first thing they think is not "Ooh WOW! Betcha that rocks GIMP!"

Quote:
Most imporatantly it is fast, small and completely dependable....

It's slow in games.

And it's not small at all anymore sure it started out trying to be the small OS, but it's still big depending on the features you want and far from being a TINY OS despite Knoppix, the difference is M$ comes with more support out of the box, Windows can be put on Point Of Sale terminal and devices like Windows CE, heck Tiny-Weeny Linux and Windows POS can both fit on very small memory, but they don't have the wid support, which is Linux's problem, sure it can be small but it's because it has nothing. Full featured distros are huge too.
As for dependable, VMS is more dependable, but Linux/AIX/Unix is simply more common and more full featured. And that's the tradeoff.

Quote:
Anyway back to the ATI subject.... I was just pointing out that ATI 'IN GENERAL' has always been thought of as second to nvidia(whether true or not).... So It is time to try rebranding ATI products under the AMD brand name....

Ridiculous, why would that help. Intel has it's own brand and is seen as crap, if anything selling graphics under the AMD name itself would simply worsen the perception of the cards to being similar to Intel, not similar to nV.

AMD is far from a solid enough brand to do it on it's own, maybe CocaCola, I'd buy a Coke VPU just to turn it into a keychain eventually, but AMD, nah, already have their chips lying around, and really considering their current issues with Conroe, their brand is hurting so best not to drag down
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 6:03:44 PM

Quote:

Then you should educate yourself about linux.... It is superier to windows, in just about every way.... Most imporatantly it is fast, small and completely dependable.... If you wanted to make an operating system with the best of everything(not worried about proprietary sales) - This is what you would end up with.... Well not counting JAVA anyway :D 

Educate myself?

There's about 100-150 Gaming titles available on Linux, only 1 or 2 are newer DX9 and above titles. Why would anyone, investing loads of cash into a graphics card want to run Linux?

Linux is more secure then Windows, but it sucks compared to MAC OSx. so in the end it's in the middle.

Gamers choose windows, it's also more open to tweaking the hardware directly. And with the advent of DX10, devs will have more control over the hardware then ever before. Expect to see some pretty kick ass software and 3rd party drivers.

Linux is sh!t, it's good for office work and to run a small server, but other then that it's purpose is limited.
August 15, 2006 6:11:31 PM

Yeah, AMD realesed a statement saying they would NOT be dropping the ATI or Radeon name as its value for branding is too strong to just go off and just dump.

ATI and the Radeon series are here to stay for the time being, calm yourselves...
August 15, 2006 6:24:13 PM

Quote:
Nvidia also comes out on top of ATi when it comes to OpenGL and Workstation graphics cards.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 6:29:29 PM

Quote:
Nvidia also comes out on top of ATi when it comes to OpenGL and Workstation graphics cards.

Workstation graphics I agree, OpenGL games still a bit of an advantage, not soo much anymore. Things have changed drastically and with AA and AF the playing field is levelled quite a bit.

ATi excels in 2D/3D Image Quality (sharpness, clarity, filtering, de-interlacing and crispness) they also excel in Multimedia capabilities, Video playback, features and Direct3D.

nVIDIA have SLI and Quad SLI. SLI being more mature then Crossfire while Quad SLI being bug ridden, but still the capability of 4 GPU's is still there, unlike Crossfire.

But when using high levels of AA/AF the ATi Crossfire is completely and assertively superior to SLI, Quad or Dual. This is due to the dedicated hardware compositing engine. Makes a huge difference normally doubling Crossfire performance over Dual SLI and tying Quad SLI at the same settings with Super AA modes used.
August 15, 2006 6:52:02 PM

Nvidia cards are good but overpriced if you ask me and more than one card seems that they do quite well but too expencive at the moment.
August 15, 2006 7:24:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, AMD realesed a statement saying they would NOT be dropping the ATI or Radeon name as its value for branding is too strong to just go off and just dump.

ATI and the Radeon series are here to stay for the time being, calm yourselves...

Linkage, please?

An AMD video card in an Intel system.... I always thought something like that would make the universe implode ;) 
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 7:31:47 PM

Quote:

OpenGL games still a bit of an advantage, not soo much anymore.

Well the biggest drawback for the ATi cards is that the standard OGL implementation uses it's Z lookup/cull different and virtually disables ATi's Hyper-Z, allowing nV to process 2:1 samples in comparison. This was a major reason behind the D3 'advantage' and it is also apparent in Riddick, extending to old OGL games the ATi cards usually outclass the nV just like they do in DX, however it's the newer card where there's this achilles heel. It's a concern, but it's still a minority of the market, and while I'd say nV does well in OGL, there's no more validity in saying that ATi does poorly in OGL than there would be in saying nV does poorly in DX.

Quote:
nVIDIA have SLI and Quad SLI. SLI being more mature then Crossfire while Quad SLI being bug ridden, but still the capability of 4 GPU's is still there, unlike Crossfire.

Crossfire probably 'can' do it, in a similar fashion to other implementations, and they hinted in that direction at launch (mentioning Supertiling as an advantage to greater than 2 VPU combinations [like that used in E&S solutions]), but right now I don't think they see any benifit from it as both SLi and Xfire have trouble with just trying to make 2 VPUs a compelling argument, let alone more than 2. Right now it seems that ATi doesn't NEED it, but I'm sure if the X1900XTX performed worse than a GF7900GT you might see ATi being the one to launch a Quad Xfire rig instead.

More than anything they are far more similar that they are dissimilar nowadays, even on the Linux front where it's nowhere near where it was, but of couse could stand alot of improvement from both.

"The bottom line is that the top-of-the-line graphics cards from both ATI and Nvidia do work (and work well) with Linux."

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/12/geforce_and_rade...
August 15, 2006 10:51:48 PM

See, I keep the Purple kid around too smooth out my rough edges.
I dont have the best written communication, so he elaborates and makes my posts a bit easier to understand :lol:  :lol: 

The ATI and Radeon names have extremely strong marketing power.
When many people hear Radeon, they think performance.....which again,
is a huge selling tool. So it would be foolish for AMD to rebrand a product.

As for XF+XF......

Well, we know there are boards out their with 3 PCI-E slots. We've seen samples of XF rendering + physics assigned GPU's (hense the boards with the 3 slots)

So with a twist, driver tweaks, GPU compositing and a bit of imagination, "Quad" Crossfire becomes reality without too much hassle.

Problem again being, at what cost and what purpose right now?
Is it really worth ATI saying: "Yeah, we can 4 cards too" and then stick their tongue out :?: :?: :?:
August 15, 2006 11:19:43 PM

Quote:

Ya, it's superior in every way. . . except finding software that actually runs on that hacked together pile of crap.
!