"localhost" works for web page, but not 127.0.0.1

I've got 2 win2k3 servers both running apache tomcat web server. I can't
figure out if this is a dns issue or not.

I have a problem with one of the servers. When I type in
"localhost/webpage" in the url box of IE I get the correct home web page.
If I try any other of the following, I only get a blank page:

127.0.0.1/webpage
servername/webpage
serveripaddress/webpage

Any ideas? Thanks, Joel
4 answers Last reply
More about localhost works page

    In news:eHYNR7qlEHA.1008@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Joel <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> made a post then I commented below
    > I've got 2 win2k3 servers both running apache tomcat web server. I
    > can't figure out if this is a dns issue or not.
    >
    > I have a problem with one of the servers. When I type in
    > "localhost/webpage" in the url box of IE I get the correct home web
    > page. If I try any other of the following, I only get a blank page:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1/webpage
    > servername/webpage
    > serveripaddress/webpage
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks, Joel

    It depends on the hostheaders, if using them, or if you are using IPs
    instead of "all unassigned" (which I'm not sure how APache handles that).
    Can you elaborate on the site's configuration?

    This is more of a webserver config question, and not necessarily DNS, since
    the examples you stated are not necessarily DNS related. Now if you stated:
    http://servername.domain.com/webpage, then that would be a DNS lookup. Using
    just 'servername', the system will try to resolve it by suffixing the search
    suffix, that is if the machine name itself is not that name or that if not
    in DNS, it will broadcast out for it. Once again, not sure how Apache
    handles that sort of thing. I know IIS does it that way. 127.0.0.1 may need
    to be allowed in Apache, along with the other names.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    J> I can't figure out if this is a dns issue or not.

    I can:

    J> http://127.0.0.1/webpage

    It isn't.

    J> Any ideas?

    Read the manual for your HTTP server software to find out how to
    configure its virtual hosting mechanism.

    Ace,

    Thanks for your reply--it is helpful and helped define what actually belongs
    in the realm of dns. I believe I am all set now.

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:%23Z4WVsulEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    In news:OF4jjScmEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Joel <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Ace,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply--it is helpful and helped define what actually
    > belongs in the realm of dns. I believe I am all set now.

    Good to hear!

    Ace

Localhost DNS Servers Windows