public dns server

Does anyone know how to create a public dns server. Im
just a tech for this company and they are throwing me into
setting up web stuff. Any ways they would like to have
their own dns servers. They are hosting about 14 web sites
and they park dns with whoever they registered the domain
with. Does anybody recommend this or not ? Im toaly lost
on this subject I can configure internal stuff just fine.
They are running Imail to on a web server that is running
IIS in a workgroup its the only pc to a full T1.Thanks in
advance..

In news:023e01c49780$1ac36e80$a501280a@phx.gbl,
art <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Does anyone know how to create a public dns server. Im
> just a tech for this company and they are throwing me into
> setting up web stuff. Any ways they would like to have
> their own dns servers. They are hosting about 14 web sites
> and they park dns with whoever they registered the domain
> with. Does anybody recommend this or not ? Im toaly lost
> on this subject I can configure internal stuff just fine.
> They are running Imail to on a web server that is running
> IIS in a workgroup its the only pc to a full T1.Thanks in
> advance..

This is usually not recommended, unless you really know what you are doing.

To be RFC compliant you need a minimum of three DNS servers to host your own
public DNS. You need two for the Public records that are totally separate
from the internal DNS. That is, internal machines cannot use the public DNS
server because internal machines usually need private IP addresses to access
sites and services locally. Then you need one DNS server for the internal
machines to use with the same named zones as the public DNS, only that the
records must have private IP addresses. You cannot mix these records in the
same zone on the same DNS server. A public DNS server must publish records
with public IP addresses, only.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:49:53 -0700, "art"

>Does anyone know how to create a public dns server. Im
>just a tech for this company and they are throwing me into
>setting up web stuff. Any ways they would like to have
>their own dns servers. They are hosting about 14 web sites
>and they park dns with whoever they registered the domain
>with. Does anybody recommend this or not ? Im toaly lost
>on this subject I can configure internal stuff just fine.
>They are running Imail to on a web server that is running
>IIS in a workgroup its the only pc to a full T1.Thanks in
>advance..

Okay, I'd recommend using only one point for DNS, which is why I
always recommend using a single registrar, not the cheapest deal this
week. The $15 you save over three years translates to several hundred
dollars in aggravation.

But, if you're completely new to DNS I'd recommend you not take over
your own DNS functions. Especially with a single server. You need
two servers, preferably on separate networks, to comply with DNS
guidelines (yes you can fake this with one server and two IP's but it
defeats the purpose). You'd also want a DNS for your internal
namespace that forwards to your public DNS for unresolved domain
names.

That said, you're on W2K, so pick up a copy of DNS on Windows 2000" by
Cricket Liu, et. al. and start reading. Or have a consultant do it
and pay attention. :)

Jeff