Sign in with
Your question

9600 to X800

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2006 2:39:36 PM

I am changing over from a 9600XT to a X800GTO.

Do I remove all the 9600 drivers etc ? and if so when (before I remove the 9600 card or after putting in the X800) ?

After that's sorted out, do I just install the X800 drivers etc from the CD that comes with the card or should I download from ATI; if download what might be the best Catalyst version to use ?

Have I missed anything ?

Thanks for your advice.

More about : 9600 x800

a b \ Driver
August 15, 2006 3:24:22 PM

Quote:
I am changing over from a 9600XT to a X800GTO.

Do I remove all the 9600 drivers etc ? and if so when (before I remove the 9600 card or after putting in the X800) ?

After that's sorted out, do I just install the X800 drivers etc from the CD that comes with the card or should I download from ATI; if download what might be the best Catalyst version to use ?

Have I missed anything ?

Thanks for your advice.

With an ATI card you must have Net Framework 2.0 installed in order for the driver to work properly. Be sure your OS is updated. Go on ATI and download the proper driver to you desktop (burn a CD of it while your at it). The video card manufactureers recommend you go to add/remove programs and delete the old video driver. Shut down and install the new card. Boot up and install the new driver from your desktop.
August 15, 2006 3:26:31 PM

Download latest drivers from ATI.
Uninstall the old drivers and control panel.
Shut down.
Remove old card.
Insert new card.
Start up.
Install new drivers.
Restart.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
August 15, 2006 3:27:05 PM

Hey are you me :D 
a b \ Driver
August 15, 2006 3:50:49 PM

You explained it so even I understand it. Scary.
August 15, 2006 4:00:34 PM

Hope you get this working. I upgraded from 9800Pro to refurbished X800XL for $110. Had no problems loading the driver and getting the d-sub working with the DVI cable on my LCD. I followed the procedures posted above for loading drivers.

I did this because I wanted to replace a GF4 TI4600 in a 4 year old computer with the spared 9800Pro. Again, I followed the procedures posted above for loading new drivers. But the problem I had with this second upgrade was black screen (MS XP) whenever I plugged the DVI cable/connector into the 9800Pro. If i unplug dvi cable and use only the anlog - works fine! I now get nice graphics (albeit agp) on 2 old computers. It feels impure. If I have LCD with dvi I should be able to get it running :-. But I settle for analog because it runs. Btw, what is a used GF4 TI4600 worth now?
August 16, 2006 1:05:07 AM

Thanks for your replies and advice 'badge' and 'Gary'. Much apreciated.
!