Windows 2003 and Windows 2000

May be somebody can help me?

I have a windows 2000 server as a ADS Root server for a domain
(example.com) and every things is ok. Now I integrate a windows 2003 server
as a DC for a new child domain (location1.example.com), after doing a
upgrade of the ADS Schema for the windows 2000 server (I execute the command
adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep), the integration was successful
and I can log on server or domain. But if I try browse the root domain
(example.com) from every workstation I get a failure: The List of servers
for this workgroup is currently not available.
What should I do?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2003 windows 2000

    In news:eBK9iocmEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    samba <samba@bintec.de> made a post then I commented below
    > May be somebody can help me?
    >
    > I have a windows 2000 server as a ADS Root server for a domain
    > (example.com) and every things is ok. Now I integrate a windows 2003
    > server as a DC for a new child domain (location1.example.com), after
    > doing a upgrade of the ADS Schema for the windows 2000 server (I
    > execute the command adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep), the
    > integration was successful and I can log on server or domain. But if
    > I try browse the root domain (example.com) from every workstation I
    > get a failure: The List of servers for this workgroup is currently
    > not available.
    > What should I do?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Couple things to be aware of. First, the machine in the root domain holding
    Schema Master and the Domain Name Master should be upgraded first in a
    forest. Second, what I believe you are referring to in regards to your
    error, is that you are using My Network Places to browse, correct? If so,
    that would be a NetBIOS issue, and not really a DNS issue. Keep in mind, as
    always I would like to remind everyone, always ONLY use your internal DNS
    servers in IP properties for all machines in an AD network. If the ISP's DNS
    server is used in IP properties of any machines, AD functionality will go
    south. The idea is to use the internal DNS, and configure a forwarder for
    external name resolution.

    That blurb said, you didn't provide any infor on your physical topology
    (which is a major bearing on the Browser service functionality), I just
    thought to give a quick run-down on how the Browser service works. In each
    domain, there are several FSMO roles to be aware of, one of which is
    pertinent here, is the PDC emulator role. That machine that holds that role
    becomes the master browser for that domain. Each domain has one. To get the
    browse list for another domain (when you double-click in network
    neighborhood, your machine tries to determine who is the master browser for
    that domain, and will request the list from there. If NetBIOS is turned off,
    or if you are in another subnet, then that won't work, because NetBIOS
    broadcasts do not traverse a router. The solution to that is to install and
    use WINS. The browser service will use WINS to assemble the list enterprise
    wide. Now, if you do have the machines show up, and you double click on
    oneof them and get an access denied error, than at least you know your
    permissions are working.

    Are any of your DCs mutlihomed?
    Are you in a routed environment?
    Is Netbios disabled on anything?
    What kind of clients do you have?
    Are you using WINS?
    Any errors in the Event viewer?

    Check these out below for detailed info on how it works and how to
    troubleshoot it.

    188001 - Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001

    102878 - Information on Browser Operation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=102878

    Q188305 - Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q188305

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --

Windows Server 2003 Windows 2000 Domain Servers Windows